Author Topic: The Mighty Quinn  (Read 3004 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
The Mighty Quinn
« on: March 09, 2018, 06:33:04 PM »
...right on the heels of winter storm Riley we got pummelled by another nor-easter here on the East Coast. It’s been a rough start to March here. Starting on Friday the 2nd with winter storm Riley and ending on Wednesday the 7th with winter storm Quinn. The flooding became quite severe when Quinn rolled through. Flood waters hadn’t been seen that high since Superstorm Sandy hit back in 2012. Largely due to the fact that the water was piled up in the back bays from Riley and hadn’t fully receeded yet by the time Quinn hit. The surf was nice yesterday morning (3/8) with a mix of ground swell and wind swell. My break doesn't do well on the long periods alone, but when there's a mix it breaks up the walls w/beautiful peaks. Needs offshores to really help the bowls hold up. The flooding picture is during storm Quinn. came right up and into my lot.
4th day in the water for me out of this amazing 7 day run. There was even a wave today to the north of me about 30 miles. Micro bowls comin though.
https://thesandpaper.villagesoup.com/p/winter-storm-riley-brings-wind-flooding-to-long-beach-island/1729080

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: The Mighty Quinn
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 06:10:46 PM »
Hard to believe we're in for our fourth nor-easter in three weeks. Quinn was a baby compared to Riley(3/3) and Skylar(3/13). Not sure what The Weather Channel is gonna name this one. I read somewhere the NWS doesn't really recognize the winter storm names but I like it. Helps to remember all the swells like hurricane names.
  Didn't fare well on Skylar (3/13) w/my longboard. Wasn't my day. Went one for four on all my good waves (blew the drops), schmooted my calf (charlie horse, still hurts a little), and lost a GoPro. Still managed one nice drop and a coupla ok waves at least. Incredible waves, super strong current. Winter conditions for sure w/the gale force wind chill.
  We'll see what this storm brings soon enough. Thinking of heading to NY as I haven't been there now in over two years. I took advantage of the nice weather today to hike the wildlife reserve here on Long Beach Island. very beautiful down there.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmgaJgSY

snowy-owl by surfercook, on Flickr

That's are fabled jetty point break way in the distance. And I'm only about half way into the reserve at this point.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:18:07 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 07:53:04 AM »
there will be a tight window up here, cookie--gon be very windy (hi 20's lo30's) with solid swell wed---then wind declines thurs with teens/lo 20's early, decliningg to lo mid teens early afternoon---problem is swell declines too, and high tide rolls in at noon--i iwll likely go at dawn and deal with the wind, in exchange for good swell/tide circumstances--pm me if you want more info

aint no riley in this--gon be one good, quick window--with riley got 2 excellent but windy sessions, then tues swell remained and wind dropped to single digit offshore--icing on the last slice of cake!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 07:20:56 PM »
riley tues swell remained and wind dropped to single digit offshore--icing on the last slice of cake!
I missed that last day of the Riley swell..had to work. But definitely scored my fair share on Sunday and Monday here. Scored this shot from the Saturday off an old friend that used to shoot alot and had stopped for quite a while because he was bummed at the whole social media blast we have experienced this decade. Funny, he said he had to edit out a coupla drones from some of his Riley roll. I'm sure glad he decided to take it up again! That end section took me out pretty hard. Probably shoulda been using my paddle in this frame!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:26:38 PM by surfercook »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 11:00:32 PM »
Nice wave....it does look like it getting ready to smack you.... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 07:06:30 AM »
beefy wave, cookie!--props youre going for it
im am likely going to go up here early pm
forecast got it all wrong wind is light offshore and shd remain so

snowing hard--hope roads dont slow me too much
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 07:34:27 AM »
Nice wave....it does look like it getting ready to smack you.... ;)
This one peeled off clean w/out me...but not b4 steamrolling me down hard! I made it to where that guy is paddling over the shoulder at least. i could hear him hooting me on.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »
One of those.....I can make it, I Can Make It, I CAN MAKE IT!.....ffffaaarrrkkkk!!!....gurble, gurble....ones... :) 8)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:02:58 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 06:16:07 PM »
One of those.....I can make it, I Can Make It, I CAN MAKE IT!.....ffffaaarrrkkkk!!!....gurble, gurble....ones... :) 8)
lmao!!  :)

Quite fortunate today w/Winter Storm "Toby" I believe they named it. Crazy snow here ...like 8" in about 5 hours or so. I drove my Honda Element around in it for a bit. NOT easy to get that vehicle to slide out!  :P
Nice combination of surf, sand, snow, and sun today!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 07:51:06 AM »
caught the am window yesterday, cookie--twas very nice--chesty. with a few head highs--wind went west and tide came in later morning, and so concludes quinn

not remotely worthy of a drive north, cookie--but when the time comes, let me know

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »
Toby finally had enough W in the wind out of all these noreasters to make Northern Jersey work and yesterday was very fun.

Even this AM was quite good at waist high or so.   AND east swell direction - the only time we get Lefts in NNJ!!!!   ahhhhh was soo nice for this crusty goofy footer to actually face a wave

Glad to see my tri state brethern scored!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 10:57:33 AM »
East Coast coolness for sure. Lucked into a second day of waves of Mr Toby yesterday. Then hiked the reserve for like 3 hrs...needless to say I slept well last night!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal