Author Topic: Projector headlights  (Read 2540 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Projector headlights
« on: March 09, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »
This is damned clever. https://newatlas.com/mercedes-maybach-digital-light-smart-headlights/53678 wouldn't have thought of it in a million years, even though our company was involved in marketing the first DLP projectors. I talked In Focus (now defunct) into giving me a bare DLP chip to play with. Astonishing stuff. I could give myself vertigo just looking at it while I sent a video signal to it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Projector headlights
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:07:23 PM »
Cool...weird but cool.

Love this house design too. Always wanted to build an underground house into a slope with a garden on top. This isn't under but I like the garden.
https://newatlas.com/yin-yang-penda-house-rooftop-garden/53741/
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »
Taken to full development you could project a high beam directly at cars, recognizing the faces inside and leaving them in a dim cone of light. You can illuminate and indicate pedestrians and animals without dazzling them, and with a bit of data about their reactions, steer animals away from danger. You can show exactly the path your car should be steered around a curve and project navigation and hazard warnings onto the road ahead.  The mind boggles. The technology is adaptable to all kinds of stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »
I think this will go the way of the pager. I'll skip it an just take an autonomous car. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 05:22:47 PM »
When they project centerfolds onto the road, I'll be impressed.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 06:02:42 AM »
the excellent nyc community share bike program tested projector lights for a time

on the road surface 25 feet or so in frt of the bike, an image of a bike was projected. concept was that drivers, before pulling across a bike lane, would see the bike image on the road surface next to them. seemed a fine idea to me, tho the program was dropped.

i did have fun with it: at crosswalks id wiggle the little icon in frt of kids waitng to cross the street--funny reactions--mommy?!? wtf is that?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 09:01:54 AM »
Probably not the same tech. That's probably projecting an image by having a slide or cutout in front of the beam. This is digital light processing which uses a chip with millions of transistors with mirrors on top of each one. The mirrors are a few nanometers across. The transistors twist depending on the signal applied to them and move the mirror, changing the aim of light bounced off it. Older projection tech had limited brightness because the interceding film blocked or filtered light and you couldn't just increase the brightness without burning up the film. They pushed the limits of that which is why film burns up if the projector stops.

Black and white DLP projects unfiltered light and the intensity of light in a specific area can be increased by focusing more pixels on it. Not hugely, the motion of the mirror is small.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »
wow--yes---seriously more complex tech--truly amazing--so much shit going on that i would have laughed at as fantasy only a few years back
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 09:20:55 AM »
Well, this sounds a hell of alot better than the cheezy "logo-lights" offered by so many mfg now...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 06:37:56 PM »
wow--yes---seriously more complex tech--truly amazing--so much shit going on that i would have laughed at as fantasy only a few years back

It's been around a while, but I don't think many people know what it is. They go to a movie and see DLP on the screen and safely ignore it. If you have a mobile that projects images it's a DLP chip and lasers to illuminate it--in a package about the size of a triple A cell. Insane. Black and white DLP is almost weirder than color, because it uses a light trap to send the light into for the black, and a heat sink to dissipate the heat from absolute light adsorption. Science fiction. But real. The DLP projector market was hot as a pistol for a while, selling $2K projectors like hotcakes and In Focus was our biggest client. Now In Focus gone, projectors are cheap and the market is dinky. The world is weird.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 05:29:05 AM »
yep--my artist daughter uses projectors in her performance pieces, as well as to illuminate canvases with imagery she then paints--impressive the tech/$$ equation--this said, and sorry for the highjack---but my partner just got one of the mavic air's (i have a pro)--the dji mavic technology is simply amazoing--i contrast with the state of affairs at SS.............net, if you have any desire for a seriously capable entry level drone, get the mavic air--they are fun to fly and shoot incredible vids and pics
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 09:33:37 AM »
DJI squashed the drone market in the best way possible--with innovation and performance. I considered the old Phantoms to be for people who couldn't build something better. I somewhat miss the fun of solving some of the problems of stability and devising and executing a follow-me strategy but the tech has improved to the smartphone level, and the open source effort has dissolved. The Mavics and Inspires are amazingly good machines.

It proves you can still build a multi-billion dollar company in your garage, but you'd better be fast on your feet, and you can't start in second or third place.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal