Author Topic: HVH2O is Born!  (Read 11025 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: HVH2O is Born!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 04:55:43 AM »
Thanks everybody! I'm going to post updates about how this project is going. The basic progression will look like this:

Phase 1: Get a trailer and 4–5 SUPs and kayaks. Spend one summer giving free “rentals” and lessons at my waterfront. At the same time publicize like crazy to get the word out.

Phase 2: Start charging for regular customers but also pursue arrangements with local organizations that serve underprivileged populations to create access for them. This would be groups like the local youth bureau, NAACP, and others who can identify appropriate people. (One of the great things about my town of Peekskill is that we have an excellent pool in the middle school. All our kids need to learn to swim! So I can be assured that all our local kids have some skill in the water.)

We still would probably be using temporary arrangements at the site. Stuff we can take down nightly. We will also begin waterfront science programs to get people involved. Even simple stuff like water testing, wind direction, or seining fish out of the river and identifying them. So people can get involved with the river on different levels. We already have waterfront festivals for the local population of bald eagles. Let's do the same for the fish.

Phase 3: A (semi) Permanent Spot: Here's where we start to develop the riverfront spot. We have enough revenue through donations and rentals to create a base on the riverfront. My wife's illustration is of this phase. We would also like to create on-sire storage for SUPs and kayaks. There's a real need for this. There's a spot that does this about 15 miles upriver. It's so popular that they have to have a lottery for the spots. Then we can think about SUP exercise teams too and things like that.

Phase 4: Create a Nature Center: This is where we can create a base and an educational center. This will hold a classroom as well as exhibits, fishtanks, educational material, etc. Perhaps we can also use it for winter workouts for people on a SUP team.

All this time we'll be coordinating with the local schools to develop curricula for them. I'm working with two other people, and all of us are educators, so we know how to work that.

This will take a few years to build, but the local community needs it. There is a place nearby that does kayak/SUP rentals, but they're poorly positioned for the community. We can get foot traffic from the town. We're even a quick walk from our local train station. That means we can get people from NYC too. There's parking 150 feet from the launch too.

So hopefully this will be where I go next. I'm not a huge fan of Powerpoint presentations, but I'll let you guys look at a PDF of my presentation. And hey, if anybody has criticisms or suggestions, I'm open.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 06:15:17 AM »
Sounds great IS, the best of luck!

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 08:44:26 AM »
Wow!
Good job. Nice plan. Look forward to following how it goes.
What yugi said for sure. There all sorts of things to do for the winter.
XC ski trails? Not sure about snow, how reliable and all that but even a groomer for the trails at some point might be something to attract winter use.
First things first tho I am sure. Lots to get going. Looks like a good plan.
Hah. Sounds like there will be politics involved too. Hold on.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 10:52:32 AM »
You should reach out to similar organizations to see what has worked well and not so well. Community boating centers, small environmental orgs, etc.

Have you looked into state and fed grants that might be available? You should plan accessible ramps and such, you may be required to do so anyway and it will help get support. http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-news/20170715/town-of-saugerties-seeks-450000-in-state-grant-funding-for-kayak-launch

Love the illustration but if you do add accessibility you need to show it.

Googled NY access and this popped up...the Governor approves.... :)
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-accessible-kayak-launches-new-york-state-parks
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:26:56 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »
Luca, yeah there are always local politics and things like this. I have a point of view where I want to do this, and I'll work with anyone who wants to work with me. No question I'm a flaming liberal, but I think that kind of thing needs to take a back seat to getting things done.

An environmental center has a certain stance in terms of politics too, but I want to think of it as an education center more than teaching people what to think. I'm really not going to change people's minds. If people come away having a greater appreciation for the critters in the water and preserving the local environment, I'm very happy. I suppose that too can be construed as political, and I'm okay with that.

The bottom line though is that people want to see new, exciting things happen at our local waterfront. That's not political. Peekskill is one of those post-industrial towns that never quite picked itself up. In this case the industry left closer to 100 years ago. It was a great place to live, but it declined. The schools got a bad reputation. Racial divisions became raw. I moved here because I saw a place which was ripe for positive change. Plus (honestly) my wife and I couldn't afford something fancy, so we chose a place that was up-and-coming. We didn't choose wrong.

We now have great restaurants, good beer, a vibrant arts community, and schools that are getting better, but that waterfront though has lagged. There are some nice art installations and a great walkway, but river access is still dicey. It may not be able to support a real business — there's one close by that's barely hanging on — but if we do it on the nonprofit level then I think it could work. I really like how the community is embracing this idea, and they seem to want to help. There's my liberalism in action, I suppose. Community organizing. But I really enjoy it. It scares the hell out of me because I don't want to let people down, but it's also very fulfilling.

So if that's political, I guess guilty as charged, but I want to work with everybody. I don't give a damn what your political affiliation is. Let's go paddling!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 11:13:36 AM »
Thanks Stoney, I'll check that out. I think we were using the word accessibility in different ways. I think you were referring to people with physical limitations? I was thinking of economic accessibility, but I'm glad you reminded me of that. There's an ACA course that specifically trains people to work with people who have mobility issues and similar issues. I've been meaning to explore that. I haven't made that a priority though, and I'm a little embarrassed about it. Thanks.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 11:36:29 AM »
Yes...handicap accessibility is what I was referring too. No need to be embarrassed...I know where your heart is...and you can't think of everything. I happened to think about Community Boating in Boston when you posted this and also about and article about access ramps in CT that someone on here posted awhile ago.

BTW....if you build it I will come. I'd be happy to come give a talk about SUP as balance therapy...I assume you probably have a few dizzy people in the community.... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 11:59:40 AM »
I will definitely take you up on that. Thanks! And besides, you've got to paddle in my pond someday.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal