Author Topic: Small kine nor'easter fun in Plymouth  (Read 8958 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Small kine nor'easter fun in Plymouth
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:09:05 AM »
Just came home to suit up after driving the neighborhood breaks. I was expecting to go out at Long beach/Warren Cove to get out of the wind but both the wind and swell have dropped off quickly. High tide so the cove is also just waves slamming into the wall. Long beach looks good but it's closed with heavy equipment moving boulders.

So I drove down to Whitehorse......mo betta.....clean, thigh to waist, maybe some chest, 10-15mph straight offshore. Going to slowly drop but I'm hoping for a double session today. A few quick pics before I head out.

Frosted truck..

First tracks....

Whitehorse...

Boat ramp (washed out at the moment)...beach boat launch with on beach parking.

Flag wave...

OK...outta here...back in a few to warm up..... :)

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Small kine nor'easter fun in Plymouth
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 03:12:42 PM »
Well that was fun. Windy as all hell. I thought it had died some but it was 15-20 with some gusts I couldn't make headway against standing. Had to wait for the bigger sets since it was all late drops with the wind...made some...crashed a bunch. Much bigger than what I 1st saw above. It was face high and peeling on the bigger ones at the far end of the beach. I think I even got my ass in a barrel for a second or two before it closed on me.... :) Big bruise on my thigh from my rail after I pearled one but other than that just the soreness that 4 hours of surfing in the cold brings. Long hot shower and a nap....no double....I stayed out lots longer than I thought I would on the 1st.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:22:07 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »
Stoney's getting some.... Nice 8) The rain stopped here, the skies cleared and there were some small sets rolling in today. I just never like going in the water right after the rain stops. Supposed to start raining again tonight and through the weekend. Maybe get to surf next week? 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 04:43:43 PM »
Super stoked that you are getting some good stuff Stoneman!
You are loving your new neighborhood!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 06:37:51 PM »
Thanks...it's been so sweet being so close. These conditions this often is very rare for Plymouth. Nor'easter #4 may be on tap for next week. Bluebird skies here today. I've got the circular sun/wind burn mask on my face.... :)

I hear you on the rain TD....certain spots I won't surf after rain but this isn't one of them.

Supposed to be sunny and less windy with some small waves this weekend. I need to go take a good look at Manomet point when I can see the rocks better, might be a good time to do it. The point is at the south end of the beach. It looked awesome over there today but I don't know it and solo excursions into the rocks with nobody in sight in winter....... :P.

Once I know it though it will become a go to spot in these conditions. Real easy access this time of year...there's a boat ramp to the beach there too. On the bigger sets it was head high and throwing a small right hand barrel into the corner. I was catching the tail end of those at the beach. There is also a cliff there to block the wind a bit.

There are a few more breaks even further south. I've met some of the few folks that surf Plymouth and they've said that sometimes it's better the further south you go. Makes sense on a NNE swell I guess...longer fetch. I also looked at some drone footage of the entire shoreline from Whitehorse south all the way to the canal and noted the areas that were showing waves in the small swell that day. Some real nice looking bars showing waves close to the canal at the bars near Scusset. Never would have thought to look to Scusset for waves.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:46:43 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 05:28:37 AM »
GREAT pics!!!  And stoked you got out Stoney!!!!!

Sounds like some additional recon on those spots just to he south of you......you might find a gem of a novelty wave you can enjoy with little pressure!

Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard