Author Topic: Leave politics out of it  (Read 13005 times)

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Leave politics out of it
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2018, 07:44:17 AM »
I make an effort to do exactly that...I wish more folks would. I think of myself as a libertarian more than anything, some conservative views and some progressive. I've come to dislike the far left and right. Actually it's more than dislike because I think they are primarily responsible for the shit show we all are dealing with. It's part of why I started this thread...we need some compromise.....the far anything doesn't want that. I think the far right is slightly crazier than the far left but just my a smidge.
Wait a minute...did the guy who just started a thread called "Leave politics out of it" just go political?  Youse guys crack me up. ;) ;D

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 06:54:26 AM »
icky---i believe you are just making a point: that you cant imagine anyone wouldnt consider preventing pollution and preserving our natural resources a massive political priority, if not a given.

unfortunately there are many, tho, who think people who think like you do re pollution are enviro-nuts and enviro-lib-tards---and these people are installed in our political system and businesses thoughout the us. they are pro-business, anti-regualtion, see global warming as a liberal invention, and fight any and all business-restraining environmental (and other) intitiatives that come their way--

i do my best to vote at the ballot and with my $$ to counter these forces--i believe we need to regulate effectively to reduce pollution, and incent best reasonable behvior toward the environment

laissez faire? ===> shithole a comin
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 08:17:23 AM »
I make an effort to do exactly that...I wish more folks would. I think of myself as a libertarian more than anything, some conservative views and some progressive. I've come to dislike the far left and right. Actually it's more than dislike because I think they are primarily responsible for the shit show we all are dealing with. It's part of why I started this thread...we need some compromise.....the far anything doesn't want that. I think the far right is slightly crazier than the far left but just my a smidge.
Wait a minute...did the guy who just started a thread called "Leave politics out of it" just go political?  Youse guys crack me up. ;) ;D
Not sure I get your point...this thread is a discussion of leaving politics out of other threads. My comment goes directly to why I think it's necessary.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2018, 06:14:13 PM »
iunfortunately there are many, tho, who think people who think like you do re pollution are enviro-nuts and enviro-lib-tards
People like that just have to be taken with a grain of salt. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 06:23:48 PM »
iunfortunately there are many, tho, who think people who think like you do re pollution are enviro-nuts and enviro-lib-tards

Or on a spit, with a nice vinegar sauce and some fava beans.

I note that the "Leave Politics Out of It" notion seems to be working. Let's all pile on the first person to bring in politics anywhere other than in random. Someone posted a political video in facebook in a surfing group I belong to. Instant castigation by a cast of dozens--it didn't go well. I liked it though some of the castigating posts were blatantly political, which sucked. Just say no.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 06:25:54 PM »
Not sure I get your point...this thread is a discussion of leaving politics out of other threads. My comment goes directly to why I think it's necessary.
Honestly, it was more tongue in cheek than anything else (hence the wink, and smile after it), but if I must make a point for whatever reason(s), it would be that...it doesn't matter how or with whom you identify yourself with politically, or your political opinion of what others believe politically in order to ask folks to "Leave politics out of it"...and for them to understand what you're asking.

IOWs, in a thread that asks people to "Leave politics out of it", to then to see the OP explain his political position/beliefs I just thought was kind of funny is all. But I've also been known to have an odd sense of humor...so I'd pay little mind to it or to me if I were you.  ::)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 07:50:33 PM »
I'm getting too sensitive ......thought it might be but wasn't sure....our odd senses of humor were simply out of sync...... :) Sorry...carry on!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2018, 08:02:26 PM »

Are you crazy? You can't just spread salt around like that. Don't you realise that's polluting!!!???

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 06:20:24 AM »
I think too that getting divided into political tribes doesn't serve he majority of people. I think with the big issues there's some broad agreement. The devil is in the details, but that doesn't mean we can't sit down and talk in good faith.

If anyone wants to call me a libtard or granola-head or enviro-nut, that's fine with me. I've been called a communist so many times, it barely registers. Just because I believe in a certain thing doesn't make me a bad person. Same goes for everyone else, mostly. I'll make exceptions for white nationalists, nazis, terrorists, and their ilk. People who want to destroy and hurt.

I think for this crazy experiment called “America” to work, we have to get over this tribalism. We need to accept one another. That doesn't mean we don't disagree, or even argue, but I'm really tired of being someone's enemy just because I disagree with them. (I wish congress would do the same.) I know my side can be kind of bad at that too. I've been guilty of demonizing those who disagree with me. Now I try to just disagree.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2018, 06:46:40 AM »
dont get me going on salt--crazy the amt that gets thrown around where there's any hint of a storm

there are dust-storms of salt mix aorunf here on sunny warm days!
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »
I think for this crazy experiment called “America” to work, we have to get over this tribalism. We need to accept one another. That doesn't mean we don't disagree, or even argue, but I'm really tired of being someone's enemy just because I disagree with them. (I wish congress would do the same.) I know my side can be kind of bad at that too. I've been guilty of demonizing those who disagree with me. Now I try to just disagree.
Well said...and I agree.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 10:30:01 AM »
I think too that getting divided into political tribes doesn't serve he majority of people. I think with the big issues there's some broad agreement. The devil is in the details, but that doesn't mean we can't sit down and talk in good faith.

If anyone wants to call me a libtard or granola-head or enviro-nut, that's fine with me. I've been called a communist so many times, it barely registers. Just because I believe in a certain thing doesn't make me a bad person. Same goes for everyone else, mostly. I'll make exceptions for white nationalists, nazis, terrorists, and their ilk. People who want to destroy and hurt.

I have a problem with people that resort to name calling. I tend to not respond. I might call them out on the unnecessary name calling and to use their words to express their own stance in the matter, but usually do not respond in kind. I do think it is important to call people out on name calling simply because it really is pretty much as unproductive as it can get.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 01:20:52 PM »
I do it all the time in the car, with the windows shut. Cathartic. Though it's surprising how many motherfuckers are driving on Maui.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2018, 02:22:12 PM »
I have a problem with people that resort to name calling.

This thread is about leaving politics out of it, and you go and start talking about Trump.  ;)  I think a bit of political posting here is okay, in fact I do enjoy it when people thoughtfully express their ideas. There are many people here that I respect and like to hear what they have to say politically, even though I often times feel 180 degrees in the other directions. Most forums and internet media sites that have political post just have the same posters saying the same things over and over. That type of crap is very rare here.  And besides, I find it very hard to hold my tongue.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
I absolutely agree that we need to get past the tribalism. The problem is that too many people in power are there BECAUSE of tribalism.  Politicians, media, and social media are all pushing us further apart. They profit from all the chaos they are helping to cause. We have to actively try and stop it as individuals. I mean shit...the Russian's have weaponized our division. How manipulated have we become?

We do need to be able to discuss the issues and agree to disagree where appropriate but we also need to avoid it leaking out and infecting so many other discussions. I've obviously never been shy about sharing my opinion and I enjoy debate, but I enjoy this place, and the company of all of you more.

I can't stand the name calling either...libtard, repuke, all stupid. Anyone that starts saying that everyone on the other side is an idiot, or corrupt, or has been scammed, or whatever loses credibility in my eyes. Resorting to absolutes shows a lack of critical thinking to me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:24:40 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal