Author Topic: Leave politics out of it  (Read 13071 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Leave politics out of it
« on: March 07, 2018, 08:13:33 AM »
I made some of this comment elsewhere but thought it deserved it own thread.

Can we please leave politics out of it....how about we all simply agree to stop interjecting politics into posts about SUP. Even if you think it makes a point. It's tearing this place.....and everything else apart. .....neither side has a monopoly on stupidity. I'm not saying don't make political statements...but go to random and start a new thread about the issue....let's stop poisoning the rest of the zone with this shit. I'm not pointing any fingers...1st one I pointed would need to be at a mirror....but how about we simply agree to keep our political points of view out of SUP posts.

I've been here longer than most. This place has helped change my life and many of my best friends today have come out of it....and we don't necessarily agree politically. The zone is important to many of us. It's a place to share story, to laugh, to learn...a place of refuge of sorts. I can't begin to explain what it means to me....so it's worrying that I find myself not wanting to come here sometimes because we're starting to argue so much about politics....and in the past I've been guiltier than most.

So I'm done...I hope you can agree to join me...if I have something that is political to discuss I'll say it in a new random post and you can all ignore it in bliss.... ;) 8)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:18:57 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leave politics out of it
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 08:50:30 AM »
Well said Stoney..

I could add to all of the arm-waving and finger-pointing over the political situation we’re in just now, but I don’t and choose not to do so here for the very reason I joined this forum - the love of SUP.  It's so easy today to raise your blood pressure, just turn on the “news” source of your choice and get the blood boiling and take to the social media method of choice and start spewing.  F-that - not me - not here! I come here for the stoke, leaning more about this amazing sport, watching vid's, reading board reviews, encouraging others, providing technique advice/instruction, etc. 

Although I'd like to see political statements and the like disappear altogether I would gladly compromise to see threads and remarks go to the Random section giving readers the choice to read or not.....
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 11:04:26 AM »

I am fine with this. Plopping political threads into random should be acceptable to most.

Not that it is any of my business, but maybe not take things personal. If there are threads that has politics and you do not want to get involved just don't respond. I like hearing opinions and discussing. I learn a lot about values and attitudes. I genuinely enjoy hearing opinions that differs from mine. Most of the people I hang out with on a daily basis are much more similar to me, and it is much harder to understand how people that have different attitudes than me think. I think it is good to avoid creating a complete echo chamber. To me, the fact that we have SUP as a common denominator makes us similar and unified in other ways.

I've made a few main rules for myself: If I get agitated I don't respond. If someone gets personal, disregard it and do not respond. When differing views appear, try to see arguments from an opposing view, and argue with some objectiveness. I will argue on inaccuracies and mis-information. I try to supply some citations if I have time.

Apart from that, I like discussing stuff, specially subjects and attitudes where I am very different. :-)
Of course any kind of sup discussion is always fun.   

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 11:16:12 AM »
i would wholeheartedly support a ban on politics in threads that arent clearly titled to be about politics

but if political BS gets injected into an SUP discussion, rely on me to not let it stand unchallenged

many profess to hate politics--but really, often, they just hate hearing of politics other than their own, hate being challenged, and then insult.....

but yeah, why dont we agree to keep politics out of threads that intend not to discuss politics? that shd fix it

in fact---consider me the first in--wont talk politics in threads where we agree no politics--wont talk polkitics even with those who choose to post anyway (a concession, for me)---will, tho, enthusiastically join a collective admonition that any offender "go post elsewhwere dbag-no politics here"

i am in! wait this thread title is about politics---i'm outta here!

but i am in--hope it owrks out--

lastly, respect for those with differing opinions needs to underly all (whether politics or sup)--to insult or name-call turns dialogue to shit, no matter what is being discussed

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 11:22:33 AM »
so...
I guess this thread is now a lame duck?  ;)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 11:37:02 AM »
Wasn't aimed at you or anyone EB. That thread twitch did make me think of it though.

I've been trying to refrain from any political posts but as you point out EB it's also not my nature either. I've always been a masterdebater..... ;)

I like to discuss stuff too taut but too often we're seeing snark, passive aggressive BS, or downright name calling. I'm not much for censorship...other than self...but we need to do something here or it will continue to do damage.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:45:10 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 11:41:32 AM »
I'm with you Stoney but any thread title with the word "politics" in it, is asking for a debate, as you already noticed.  The random thread should be good enough.  And that's all I have to say about thaaaat.
It takes a quiver to do that.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 11:46:02 AM »
I'm with you Stoney but any thread title with the word "politics" in it, is asking for a debate...
No it's not.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
didnt sense you'd singled me out, stones---nbd

and good you brought this up---before it inflames quality sup discussion--if a politics thread gets inflamed, no real loss--but if we lose the quality of the sup discussions and we got little left, really

on that, i miss riley already.................
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 01:06:00 PM »
I started to participate in another forum that has a political thread. It has nothing to do with sup/sports/lifestyle or really anything fun so to say. Could not be bothered to read or post in the politics thread and it's fairly active. For reals. I checked it a few times here or there and...both sides running amok but just couldn't be bothered to really read let alone post. I don't know why (actually, maybe I do but that will take up a page and a half) but I find the discussions here entertaining and they can be enlightening/educational at times. We are so much alike and so different all at the same time. Other place does have a music thread tho and have jumped in there. Go figure.
I also think I am not the only one to be really, really, burned out on politics. It just has gotten too......much for many, many, many reasons.

I have posted random things I find funny into threads. A chuckle or smile are all I intend when doing so and always thought that was pretty obvious tho sometimes I can be oblivious.

Hmmm, random politics.
Nice ring to it.
Seems a good place for it
 ;)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 01:56:40 PM »
who made up this words = freedom of $##%

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 04:13:49 PM »
I'm with you Stoney but any thread title with the word "politics" in it, is asking for a debate...
No it's not.

That's  not a debate, that's  just arguing 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:55:23 PM by Tom »

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 04:23:05 PM »
Most sites like this have a dedicated forum for politics and/or religion discussions. And there that shit stays.
Bunch of old shit

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 04:51:40 PM »
I  enjoy to some extent the political  discussions here. Mostly  they are well written  and free of insults  and name calling .  Just because  a president  does  it  doesn't  mean  it's  acceptable  in a forum .  (sorry, I   just can't  hrlp myself  ) But seriously ,  I  do learn  a lot getting  different  perspectives .
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:53:31 PM by Tom »

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 05:50:45 PM »
Sounds good! Please check your political BS at the door (or at least on a specific thread if you must).
For some, the Zone is a safe haven from that junk.
in progress...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal