Author Topic: Negligent Operations... seriously!?!?  (Read 10970 times)

805StandUp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Negligent Operations... seriously!?!?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
It could be worse.  A security guard contracted by Portland's Parks Bureau once stopped an attack on the City's water supply by a group of terrorists armed with large swords.  It turned out to be a Tai Chi class, and the sword was the instructor's wooden prop.  Once he realized they weren't terrorists, he threatened to arrest them anyway:

http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-641-tongue-taid.html

As someone that has done a lot of traditional styles of Kung Fu, I find this article hilarious... thanks for sharing.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 06:11:32 AM »
Welcome to the nanny state, courtesy of the “progressive” movement.

This has nothing to do with politics and I don't really believe that's truly your opinion.  Indiana (hardly a blue state) has some pretty archaic laws in regards to boating safety on lakes (for instance when being towed behind a boat you have to have the tow rope in hands at all times, in effect no wake surfing).  Just do a Google search of any # of safety laws around the country.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 07:21:24 AM »
If you find your self in a situation where it might be appropriate to adavise the USCG (or local marine law enforcement) of your plans, they will undoubtedly ask if you filed a float plan with a resposible party.  It would probaby be be good if you could answer yes.   

The DNR officers seemed to have over-responded, but the $80 whistle charge is totaly legit, black and white law, so shame on the paddlers for blowing that one ;D I hate to think that there might have been a whistle tucked into the inflatable PFD, as is usually the case.

If you have an inflatable PFD that you have never deployed, today might be a good day to check it out.  Unfold it, blow it up manually, make sure it holds air, see if there is a whistle in there.  They do fold right back-up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:03:01 AM by Bean »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 08:03:36 AM »
Yeah yeah.

Well for all you sticklers for law there’s: no marrying your 1st cousin until you are 65 in Utah either. Nor owning more than 6 dildos in Texas. Or selling boobie pillows with 1000ft of a highway in California. Take note.

Oh, and tell your president no adultery in NY. Ooops! Sorry. I forgot no political comments. Scratch that.

Odd world.

I wear a leash.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-map-of-the-weirdest-sex-laws-in-the-united-states-1485053434

« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:16:40 AM by yugi »

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 08:56:46 AM »
They also made it very clear that we are to all carry VHF radios and that phones and PLBs were merely back-up pieces of equipment.

VHF radio is one piece of safety equipment I've thought about adding for excursions far from shore or in rough water. Anybody know of a reliable, waterproof and inexpensive model, that's convenient to bring on a SUP (ideally small and floats if dropped)?

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 10:10:37 AM »
pabst mentioned he uses a waterproof vhf radio that, in additon to operating as a radio, will talk via bluetooth to your phone (stashed in a waterproof pocket)---so you can radio for help or whatever, but also make phone calls, without struggling with a water-vulnerable phone

seems the choice, if one is looking into
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 11:20:32 AM »
Yep.

But only useful if you go out of range of your mobile phone.

Think about that.

Yes. I know. Sea and coast guard manuals say VHF. Made sense when they were written.

Bottom line: do the smart thing.

and wear a leash

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »
My cell never loses reception even in the middle of Cape Cod Bay.....we've always had folks making calls during the CCBC letting friends/family know how they are doing and where we are. My solo paddles are never more than 3 miles from shore. Need a good case though....I had one that was useless when it got wet....random apps loading, making calls.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »
That Apple Watch call in incident in california was pretty cool.

I love travelling light.

Looking forward to 5G.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 01:07:57 PM »
I'm always in cell range and would carry a cell phone with me regardless, but I sure don't want to rely on it to make a call in serious downwind conditions, typically in frigid weather with gloves and a hood on, especially if shit has gone bad enough that I need to reach the coast guard from the water. I'd feel much better in that situation having a simple, rugged, waterproof device that was purpose built to call for help in a dangerous maritime situation. Plus, if having one with me keeps the coast guard or local authorities at ease and avoids a situation like the one that started this thread, then it's totally worth it even if I never actually need to use it.

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »
This is the Bluetooth-enabled VHF Radio I carry while downwinding. I stash it in a fanny pack (yep - one of those..) and keep my iPhone in a waterproof case. You can make or receive calls on it and if you really are in trouble you can use the emergency band. I've yet to be stopped by the CG but can imagine that having it might dissuade them from thinking you're unprepared to be on the water. 
https://www.cobra.com/products/handheld/mr-hh500-flt-bt
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

iDownwind

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 03:43:48 PM »
Welcome to the nanny state, courtesy of the “progressive” movement.

EXACTLY.
SIC F14
SIC Bullet  V2 (A.S.S.)
SIC Recon 11.11
NSP Open Ocean 14'x28"

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 04:06:24 PM »
Yes. I know. Sea and coast guard manuals say VHF. Made sense when they were written.
Good point.  When they were written, they probably figured there'd be no reason for anyone to phone in a distress call, because if you had a phone on board, you could self-rescue by just pulling yourself in to shore by the cord.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »
Good one PDX!

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 05:58:15 PM »
When offshore I carry both a phone and a vhf. The each have different benefits. The biggest plus to the vhf is that if you make a call it's likely that LOTS of people hear you. If you use a phone, only the person you calls gets it. I was off Sakonnet Point RI a few years ago and watched a large wave flip a 28' work skiff that was tied up in a very bad spot to an offshore lighthouse. Three workers got dumped and were swimming and unable to get back to solid ground. We called a mayday on the vhf. CG in Newport immediately answered but were not able to get to our position for I think about 45 minutes. But because most boats and local fire rescue departments monitor emergency channel 16 we had two private pleasure craft show up within 10 minutes. They were able to get the swimmers off our kayaks and out of the water. Middletown FD and Portsmouth FD both had boats there within 20 minutes. A phone call to a single agency would not have gotten that response that quickly.
Bunch of old shit

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal