Author Topic: Cultural Shock - SUP Paddling in France  (Read 18447 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cultural Shock - SUP Paddling in France
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 09:52:14 AM »
As a whole, I still only spot two categories of people on SUP:
- The SUP athlete who trains rather consistently for races.
- The SUP paddler who takes his or her board out 5 weeks out of the year.

and what about that makes it any different from any other sport that you know of?

Something that I JUST NOTICED:
Back in history class, we were told that France had a lot of "water". To my great surprise, A LOT OF WATER is an understatement!!!

History?

Geography perhaps?

Or maybe the part of history where the Vikings help defend the King near Orleans. And where there are Vikings there is ... water.

It all makes me wonder even further: why aren't there more paddlers???

What the hell are you complaining about? That it isn't crowded enough ... yet?

You're a skier too, right?
Here's what I have to say: the skiing here SUCKS. Really. No need coming to see how bad it is. Just trust me.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
What I see in the sup surf scene is a small but experienced group. Not much activity at the beginner level so no real growth.

The French in general seem quite active in this region in many ocean and lake activities. The number of surfers continues to grow and they are getting more active. 
When I first moved here over 20 years ago the dawn patrol was empty. The locals got a slow start. Now, though not like CA or HI, the early won’t beat them when it’s good.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »
I live in a town with 50,000+ people (swells to 70,000+ in summer) that has miles of beautiful coastline and beaches, a lake or pond for every day of the year, estuaries filled with wildlife, fish, and birds...an amazing offshore sandbar that on a sunny day would remind anyone of the Bahamas....and sometimes has amazing waves.

I'm usually the only SUP in the water for miles..... :o.

Summer I'll see a few other folks with boards...but there is nobody else in my town that is anywhere near as into it as I am...and I'm not what I used to be.

Brittany has been on my bucket list  a long time because of this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaCXjnGXp14&t=36s&index=57&list=FLetRdTMKVzMbNGDqRZ8FmgA
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 05:14:14 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 05:12:36 PM »
Funny, we’re a few Frenchies on the zone but nobody replied to our fellow Frenchman Photofr... and why to complain here and not on the few french forum dedicated to SUP???
I learned the lesson
Better to ignore sometimes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal