Author Topic: Bali ..'not what you had in mind.  (Read 8672 times)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bali ..'not what you had in mind.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 08:18:34 PM »
Very sad to see Jim

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:08:54 AM »
tragic--ive seen the pics of surfers on trash-filled waves--this is the scuba version

we humans suck
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
Damn....was just reading an article on the volume of plastic we have produced since it was invented. Even the experts on plastic production were shocked.

We do suck.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 09:05:00 AM »
Yes, this really is disgusting. It was shown on one of our local news broadcasts last night. Hopefully videos like this, and the resulting publicity, will help wake us up to what we are collectively doing to our planet.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 09:37:05 AM »
I am by nature suspicious of motive, and was thinking last night; 'Is this real?'   It's not only Birthers and 2nd Amendment provocateurs that sow discord.  I was a little curious the 'comments were disabled'  ...and this 'person' had last posted 9ys ago?!  There are no other landmarks to I.D. this as actually having taken place in Bali.  Anybody can stand on top of snowcap and selfie with 'K2, 2018' as a caption.  Hmmmmm?!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

melonhead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 09:52:44 AM »
I am by nature suspicious of motive, and was thinking last night; 'Is this real?'   It's not only Birthers and 2nd Amendment provocateurs that sow discord.  I was a little curious the 'comments were disabled'  ...and this 'person' had last posted 9ys ago?!  There are no other landmarks to I.D. this as actually having taken place in Bali.  Anybody can stand on top of snowcap and selfie with 'K2, 2018' as a caption.  Hmmmmm?!

Jim

Good call - better to focus on whether or not this is actually Bali instead of on all the garbage in the sea. Let me guess, this is "fake news" . . .  ::)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 10:08:42 AM »
It probably is fake to some degree. We make a lot of plastics--yes. The USA recycles about 35 percent of plastics--lots of room for improvement, but not a bad start. It's much easier to recycle plastics than it is to recycle lead acid batteries and we currently recycle 99.3 percent of those. Tires are much more difficult to recycle since they are a composite of steel, fiber and synthetic rubber. The EU recycles 95 percent, the US about 85%.

Even without recycling, most plastics in the US wind up in landfills. the amount going into the ocean is miniscule. So where does all the plastic waste come from? Mostly local. It will take time for third world countries to seriously recycle, but they are headed that way. Not necessarily for environmental reasons, just as often for reuse and resources.

It's a problem--that can be solved. As usual, the media and the doomsayers present it as a crisis.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 10:12:09 AM »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 10:15:20 AM »
^ well... it could be Bali but just where a cruise ship has dumped it's trash.

It doesn't tell you much but it does show that we dump a lot of shit in the sea.

Edit to add: look what I found: Indonisia major ocean polluter
   https://www.statista.com/chart/12211/the-countries-polluting-the-oceans-the-most/

Shocking! Sri Lanka is tiny.

The point is to begin to make an effort.

For example France has banned shops giving plastic bags. It's back to paper. (The ban is for the single use, fairly flimsy, often see-through plastic bags, that some supermarkets and grocery stores hand out at the check-out. These include even the bio-degradable ones and the plastic bags with handles.)

There's a cost to polluting less, but also a hidden cost for the damage done. We need to be aware and get smarter.

I'm hoping Trump's blatant disregard for the environemnt will have a trim-tab effect and efforts will rebound stronger. At least he's drawing attention to the need.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:49:08 AM by yugi »

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 10:27:47 AM »
https://qz.com/122003/plastic-recycling-china-green-fence/

https://futurism.com/china-is-enacting-a-plastic-waste-import-ban/

The giant boondoggle known as recycling.  Yeah ok,,,now ehat?

Scripps institute designated an entire new layer in the ocean, a plastic layer a few molecules thick,  they reckon viruses are traveling the ocean on it.  That doesnt happen from.some local waste issues

Scripps also conducts an interesting long term detritus study. Berkley has same study going, Go look it up, clearly shows the plastics are destroying the foundations of nature. Its a hormone disruptor, and its fucking  shit up

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
As Chris Rock says: "George Bush gave us Obama. George Bush was so bad, Obama got elected. Trump is going to give us Jesus."

I doubt Jesus would be a great choice, but I agree with the underlying notion, and Yugi's trim tab.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 10:31:43 AM »
https://qz.com/122003/plastic-recycling-china-green-fence/

https://futurism.com/china-is-enacting-a-plastic-waste-import-ban/

The giant boondoggle known as recycling.  Yeah ok,,,now ehat?

Scripps institute designated an entire new layer in the ocean, a plastic layer a few molecules thick,  they reckon viruses are traveling the ocean on it.  That doesnt happen from.some local waste issues

Scripps also conducts an interesting long term detritus study. Berkley has same study going, Go look it up, clearly shows the plastics are destroying the foundations of nature. Its a hormone disruptor, and its fucking  shit up

Look at the video. Let me know if you think it's about molecules.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 11:27:26 AM »
 Tires are much more difficult to recycle since they are a composite of steel, fiber and synthetic rubber. The EU recycles 95 percent, the US about 85%.

Roads here are being repaved with a road surface, partly made from old tires, which reduce road noise. In town the effect is stunning. Also water is reduced on the surface.

There's a bit of a cost attached but noise polluiton is greatly reduced in towns. And old tires go into the roads. Voila! Now they are in great demand.

Skateboarder paradise! Not half bad for you road warriers too.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:50:59 AM by yugi »

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 11:42:07 AM »
As someone who has worked in the recycling business for the last 6.5 years, I can tell you that recycling 100% will never happen in a modern society. There are just some things nobody has a recycling solution for (lotions, crappy used paint, mixed demolition debris, some electronic parts, etc...).  California is moving rapidly toward a better system, but the state still tells themselves they're doing better than they really are. 

To finish well, it helps to start well.  People in charge of manufactured items need to consider where they'll end up when they're engineered life is over.  Changes in the materials and requirements for those changes are the best way to reduce landfill waste.  The other change is to require treatment of some waste streams to reduce their toxicity and allow for alternate uses when the material hits the "waste" stage of life.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal