Author Topic: Patagonia Impact Vest Sale  (Read 25391 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Patagonia Impact Vest Sale
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2018, 08:36:22 PM »
Saw you out there but didn't see you trying to get out of your vest.

Shark's was good, but very shallow.

I didn't see you, Steve.  The winter piled up some nice sand.  More than I remember in the past around Privates/Sharks, less ankle breaking reef to clamber over, more graduated reef.

I am out of shape due to various logistics keeping me from going out for a while one way or another, but the weekend looks good.  I imagine it's going to be crowded.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2018, 02:34:06 AM »
does everyone wear an impact vest in the surf ?

I bought one after reading on here but I'm not convinced by it tbh. Oneil Guru I think.

I find it gives me too much float. At least too much with a winter suit. Ducking under waves is much harder and if you get caught in the white water it carries you in MUCH further.

Rib protection without float would be better IMO.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2018, 09:36:16 PM »
does everyone wear an impact vest in the surf ?

I bought one after reading on here but I'm not convinced by it tbh. Oneil Guru I think.

I find it gives me too much float. At least too much with a winter suit. Ducking under waves is much harder and if you get caught in the white water it carries you in MUCH further.

Rib protection without float would be better IMO.
Hey Devon,

No not many SUP surfers wear impact vests. Mostly older guys worried about breaking ribs......like me. Personally I like the bit of added float but ducking under waves is harder (obviously can’t duck dive a SUP effectively). There are non float rib protectors out there but not sure how they would work surfing. http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/product/new-rib-protector-v2/2486
Modern era big wave surfers carry a lot of added protection/floatation but oddly you rarely see them with a surf helmet. My brain is still my most valuable asset....and yes I wear a Gath surf helmet. The most recent (rare) surfing death out here was a young guy, head injury and drown. Not clear if he was hit by his own board or someone else’s board. Tragic and perhaps avoidable.

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2018, 01:07:21 AM »
I like the extra float a vest provides. It guarantees that I'll be able to easily swim to shore no matter what.

I've been standup surfing for over five years now and have never felt a need to duck under a wave, even when it's double overhead.

I always use my tail handle and rarely let go of my board in the whitewater. I've never had a problem staying on the surface. Duck diving is unnecessary.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2019, 08:21:04 PM »
Old post! I've the R1 Short John but is in need of the vest to wear with the wet suit.  Any event, I just picked up the R1 vest today for $85 (old version not the Yulex) from a movie production company here in Los Angeles.  If you are looking for one, they have 3 left, two large and one extra large.  PM me and I will give you the contact info.  I was told shipping, within the US, is possible.

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2019, 05:46:15 PM »
Are you guys wearing the vest under your suit,or over it ? Do you need a size bigger wetsuit ?
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2019, 06:57:38 PM »
Are you guys wearing the vest under your suit,or over it ? Do you need a size bigger wetsuit ?

If you want to use the vest to survive WEAR IT UNDER YOUR WETSUIT. 

Otherwise use a kiddie strap between your legs. 

I am not kidding.  We paddled out to Mavericks the other day and this guy Mikey on the right paddled out for the first time.  He borrowed a vest from Matt in the parking lot and just pulled it over.  He goes out, cocky 18 year old, sits in the bowl.   The bowl is the ICON of death.  I would never sit there. 

My friend Dave (surrogate father of Mikey) couldn't get him away from the bowl.   So he paddles for a wave, misses, then turns and gets clobbered.  Goes over the falls, leash pulls, dislocates his hip, leach breaks, gets totally work vest rides up, HOG TIES HIM over his head.  Then the vest rips off and disappears forever.  He ends up getting rescued by a Jet-Ski and deposited on the beach.

You might dismiss this as Big Waves Only.  But this story has repeated itself over and over in waves of any size that warrant wearing the vest.   THE FLOAT RIDES UP AND CHOKES YOU OR RIPS OFF. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 07:00:22 PM by Beasho »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2019, 02:50:30 AM »
I got rag dolled during a hurricane swell in NC with a vest on. It also got ripped off and pulled over my head. We wore them at the outer shoals of the inlet.

supnsurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2019, 09:05:36 AM »
Whoa ! guess Ill wear it under , never thought of wearing one
Rawson 8'8" Impala

L41 8'8"

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2019, 03:54:04 PM »
There is no way any of my suits will stretch enough to go over even a thin vest much less a Patagonia.

My O'Neil Slasher Comp fits nice and snug wearing it on the outside. I'm confident it's not going to ride up.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 03:56:41 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »

Agree. Under my wetsuits, both Gooru  and Patagonia. I did take the padding out of the legs of the Patagonia vest and now much easier to get on. The Buell float suit looks interesting if you don’t need a full suit. In. Warm climates the Patagonia with the short legs would work if you don’t wear a wetsuit and won’t get ripped off.

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal