Author Topic: Pacific Weather Fronts In Texas  (Read 922 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Pacific Weather Fronts In Texas
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:12:01 AM »
Where I live in southeast Texas, at this time of the year, we mostly get mild Pacific weather fronts. Many times, these weather fronts just don't have enough "oomph" to make it down to the upper Texas coast.

As an example, last week we had two Pacific weather fronts that stalled out over Houston, Tx. I live north/northwest of Houston. So our daily high temperatures were in the high 50's. But Galveston, Surfside (Freeport) were south of the stalled weather fronts by about 45-50 miles. So these places had high temperatures of 70 degrees F and above.

The most interesting thing about these stalled weather fronts is how they effect water temperatures. Right now, about 25 miles from me is Lake Conroe. The water temperature there is (as I type this post) 57 degrees F.

But down on the coast at Galveston, Surfside (Freeport), the beach water temperature is (as I type this post) a balmy 69 degrees F. So it looks like where I live we are going to have an early Spring.

There are other signs too. The wild cherry laurel trees on my property are starting to bud out. All of my loblolly pine trees are budding out as well as all of my live oak trees. And quite a few of my wife's azalea bushes are budding out too. The only thing I don't like to see, my brown San Augustine grass is starting to turn "green" in color. I don't like to mow grass.

For the next 10 days, my plate is full with lots of things to do so I can't take my new board down to Surfside since the water temperature down there right now is in my comfort zone of 66 degrees F and I'm itching to "take some nice long gliding rides" with my new toy.

I'm just hoping we don't get one last Arctic weather front which drops the water temperature down by 8 degrees and if there is no Arctic front, I plan on surfing my new sup during the second week of March.

As they say here in Texas, "what is it like in your neck of the woods" where you live?
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

supthecreek

Re: Pacific Weather Fronts In Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 08:22:51 AM »
Glad to hear you are getting ready to take the plunge!
I love early Springs!

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal