Author Topic: Sunoava fins  (Read 10922 times)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Sunoava fins
« on: February 26, 2018, 09:11:44 AM »
Hi,

There seems to be somewhat of a “feeling” on this forum that the stock fins sent with Sunova boards are over finned and a bit large. Many of us swap these fins out for smaller fins and the Sunova fins sit in a box unused. The number on the Sunova fins I believes refers to the ideal weight of the rider and I listened to a video by Bert  about fins that talked about fin size and rider weight. Interestingly as the weight of a rider increases the relative increase in size of the fin is less. I did send Bert the idea that the surface area of a fin should perhaps be best calculated by using the surface area of the rider as a correlate (related to mass and height). That said could someone (Rick are you listening?) talk to Bert and Tino about this. I suspect that we might use the stock fins more if they were sent in smaller more weight appropriate sizes.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sunoava fins
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 12:22:38 PM »
Yes, I too went to smaller fins on my 9'1 Creek. I plan to keep going smaller and smaller until the board begins to slip and feel mushy, then go back up one size.  Next time I surf it, I am trying 3" fins all around which might be too small, but we will see.  Maybe it's just personal preference, but I think too much fin area is a common mistake on surfing SUPs. 

I also work with the assumption that bigger boards need less fin area than small boards.  Except in big surf, then you need the extra fin area.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:26:50 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 02:30:52 PM »
On my 9'5" Flow the thruster fin set seems ok, the quad set seemed to large. Maybe with  juicy waves that's the norm in the S Pacific they are correct, our East coast mush warrants  smaller fins?

they are high quality glass fins.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:25:34 PM by rbgar »

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »
Hi Bob, I hear you  :)
Bert began his surf design life, making fins.
I know almost zero about fins but I will pass on your thoughts.

The stock fins are good quality and shape, but I did swap out the original 105’s for the 94’s, which work really well in all my boards.

Sometimes, on weak waves, I feel like I don’t get as much drive out of my FCS MF-1s as I do from the larger Sunova fins.

Bert is a power surfer and probably prefers larger fins.

I have actually thought the Creek may surf ok with no fins.... but someone with more skill will have to try that ;D

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:41:16 PM »
FWIW:  My 9'4" Creek came with 94's (5" height) and they seem pretty sweet.

:o 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 06:55:37 PM »
Yes Whatsup

The 94s also are stock fins on my 8’7” Creek........it is sort of ridiculus really But I have nothing to winge about with this board.......other than I am very worried that it may be a quiver killer! (Darn perhaps Wendy is right........ I do only really need one board).

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 07:47:00 AM »
first day on my creek 8'10" was OH+ Monmouth Cnty NJ. i finned down, having read here that that was the conventional wisdom. i have liked my fcs mayhem quad much, so mounted the mayhen tri setup. paddled rihgt out, immediately caught a sizable wave, touch on the late side, and felt  a bit of slippage on the bottom turn, made the wave, even got some props---next wave board spun out with little warning, no time to correct---i left the rear mayhem in and swapped back to the stock bert fins in frt--aint looked back

board has such nice drive--and where i get closed out, i can often, on the creek, with a pump or two, get back on the face--not possible on my other boards--i really appreciate this--more time on the face, where it would have been over, is valuable
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SunovaBouy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 07:55:37 AM »
I like playing with fins, but far from being an expert. I'd agree that the stock Sunova Fins come out on the large size (8'10 Speeed - 105's, 8'7 Flow - 94's and Shroom 8'3 Stock) and I've swapped out both the Speeeds and Flows for FCS PCC7's, which I think are described as Mediums. I like the drive from the FCS fins and haven't looked at swapping them back to the stock Sunova Fins. The Flow I swap between Thruster and Quad depending on the mush of the wave.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the Stock Fins, in fact I reckon anyone far better than me would be better on the stocks TBH..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal