Author Topic: SUP Paddles - somewhat of a joke  (Read 9893 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
SUP Paddles - somewhat of a joke
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:42:44 PM »
Who's with me on this?

PRICES
SUP: average price for a very good SUP paddle: 390 euros
SURFSKI: average price for a great SURFSKI paddle: 330 euros

FAST FACTS
There are way more SUP paddles sold than there are surfski paddles.
Everything about a SUP paddle is far easier, and far cheaper to make.
Surfski paddles have two blades; each with a complex shape (huge amount of scoop) that is anything but easy to make.

With all of this in mind, I believe that the Olympic Kayak paddle leader (Braca) saw an opening in the SUP industry. They spent the last 4 years coming up with a model I KNOW WILL INTEREST YOU. Before you purchase your next paddle, you may just want to try this: the Braca Maui.

It's the latest paddle from Braca that not a single representative is talking about. Apparently, I may be the very first one to have received this paddle in France, but to my great surprise, no one is sharing any photos and / or any other info!?!?

Apparently, communication isn't Braca's strong point.
Durability, function, craftsmanship, and price is however where the seem to excel.
(you can pretty much plan on saving $100 per paddle - compared to other high end paddles).
I know them very well from having paddled their surfski paddle. They also make their own shaft on-location, which is a lot more than I can say for the majority of people selling paddles.

MY FAVORITE PADDLE
For SUP, no other paddle matched my Quickblade - until the 2018 release of the Braca Maui. I will now be paddling with a single paddle, because I opted for an adjustable shaft - couldn't be happier.

PADDLE HIGHLIGHTS
The Braca Maui enters the water beautifully, and provides a very clean catch.
Through the stroke, I find the blade and shaft flex to marry themselves perfectly.
Its main blade vain results in a very stable stroke.
The exit is very clean (if you exit at or near your feet) and but still better than average for those of you enjoying an exit well past their feet.
The shaft is a surfski type shaft - so if you paddle the same brand on your surfski, there won't be any trauma.
The Braca Maui are some of the lightest paddles on the market- hands down.
I use a 510 cm2 (79 square inches) - with the Medium stiffness shaft (they didn't have the Soft shafts in stock)

OTHERS
As far as I know, you have 3 choices for blade size, and 3 choices regarding shaft stiffness.
Braca offers 4 different Ts, ranging from wood to different Carbon.
If you have never liked adjustable paddles, turn the page and try Braca's Vario. They are ahead of anything I have ever tried.

Here are couple of photos, keep your eyes out on the huge amount of scoop.

QUICK NOTE
I wouldn't say so much about it if I though it was just another "average" paddle. This things really excels, so you may want to give it a shot.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP Paddles - somewhat of a joke
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:13:59 PM »
Does it come with a lifetime guarantee?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 04:08:52 PM »
For SUP, no other paddle matched my Quickblade - until the 2018 release of the Braca Maui. I will now be paddling with a single paddle, because I opted for an adjustable shaft - couldn't be happier.

Which Quickblade were you referring to? Which other paddles have you owned/seriously tested?

Few missing facts:

- Weight of your paddle?
- Blade angle? only one option?
- Shaft diameter? only one option?
- Oval shaft?
- Travel shaft?

and finally, total cost and shipping cost to US (could be a big factor in price).

As mention above, what kind of warranty?
in progress...

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:30:23 PM »

Well, not sure if saving 20% - 25% is really that revolutionary. Remember that most of us pay between 1500 and 2500 for boards...do you really think $100 is what will make a SUPer tick? It is a matter of disposable income. Sure if everything else is the same, I would pick the cheaper one, but apart from that I would pick the paddle I like.

I know some people will disagree, but I also think paddles are one of those things that are super easy to make reasonably well, it is definitely not the most important part.

I do think people will over analyze marginal features...I like very tangible features, stiff, oval shaft, light weight, and small blade. Apart from that I am fairly neutral. I have tried a few paddles I did not like, I have owned probably maybe 15 different paddles through the years. If I get that sure I'll save a $100..but I don't think that is enough to really call it a hole in the market. I bet they will adjust as they establish themselves. 

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:25:09 PM »
Seems like a great paddle and I would like to test one. I like high quality adjustable paddles as well, so the Braca design is interesting.

I would recommend KeNalu and ZRE for innovative companies offering bang for the buck and multiple options for customization. Options for factory seconds to save money with ZRE and Kenalu and Xtuff (kenalu) or full carbon construction for blades and shafts with different flex options, multiple handle configurations, and two different adjustable options.

I have a Blackfish Andaman adjustable that I like quite a bit and it's quite light and easy on the shoulders. The adjusting mechanism doesn't slot or click in, so you have to eye ball it, so I'm not so keen on that aspect of the design, but it's a quality paddle for the price.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 11:25:30 PM »
I'm interested in performance rather than a 25% cost saving. I have generally always sworn by quickblades (and train with them in both SUP and dragonboat). However, my current racing paddle of choice is the Black Project Hydro. Its incredibly light and the materials are top drawer. It isn't as day to day robust as the quickblade (they use an ABS strip to protect theirs) but then I'm after performance as I said.

Braca has pedigree but I want to see what their performance angle is with their design before I'd invest. Looking at their webpage, their weight is too high in my view.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:22:06 AM by ukgm »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 11:49:00 PM »
The Braca SUP paddles webpages are tragic. Wrong links, missing information, and a load of meaningless Starboard-style marketing mumbo-jumbo. If they put the same amount of care into making their paddles as making their webpages, then I wouldn’t go to sea with one.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 12:14:49 AM »
@ EXILED
You'll have to check with the manufacturer for their warranty policies.
I never had a single paddle failure when I represented them for two years with surfski paddles.
Again, I am just trying to share what I believe to be an interesting paddle that works very well, and that's priced far better than most.

@BURCHAS
Here are a few paddles I have tried extensively, and the first thing that comes to mind.

Quickblade paddle Fyweight carbon - ALL TIME FAVORITE - before putting in 120 km on this new Braca MAUI. It had the very best exit of any other paddles I have ever tried. The catch was a little soft, but did very well for long distance. Best craftsmanship out there. Pricy.

Fanatic Carbon 80 - nicely done, clean looking paddle, but too much blade sweep for my taste.

Starboard High Aspect Carbon XS and S - Beautiful looking blade, quite light, but brutal oval shaft, brutal blade at the entry, sticky blade at the exit. That thing was just too stiff and broke me in half. I kept going back to it, kept giving it a fair shot, but disappointed every single time for anything longer than 10km. Overall, I hated how the shaft entered the blade - looked and FELT super sticky in the water at the release. Blade angle was nearly non existent.

Starboard Bolt M and S
- Flexi tip of the blade (felt strange). Too much blade sweep for my taste. Craftsmanship was getting better, but a long shot from Quickblade. The V-pocket was clearly a copy of someone else, and actually didn't work for my taste (felt sticky at the exit). Unusual heavy package - so weird.

Quickblade Trifecta 76 - Wonderful finish, great craftsmanship, and most importantly: felt great in the water (at the catch, and at the release). The release was cleaner than I would have imagined. Unfortunately, I was left to try a paddle that was just too long for me. The weight felt right too, but quite pricey in Europe - super high dollar.

Braca KAHANA - Light, beautiful finish, European made. The catch was brutal as I found the blade to be very stiff. The shaft was too stiff as well (for my taste). My sponsored paddle (sponsored at the time) was a one piece that came in at 425 grams - with the heavier wood handle. That handle is beautiful, just a little on the heavy side when compared with the Evo handle from Quickblade. 

SPECS for my Braca Maui
Blade: 510cm (79 square inches) - 100% carbon construction. There are two other larger sizes available.
Shaft: Medium stiffness - 100% in house carbon construction. Other available shafts: one stiffer, and one softer.
Handle: Ergo Carbon. There are 3 other handles available, including a beautiful wood carbon that I find a little on the heavy side.
Blade angle: I measured 9 degrees (you may want to have someone with pro tools measure it again) - but that angle is a little more than Starboard's high aspect blade and Staboard's Bolt blade angle.
Weight: 445 grams (but keep in mind that this is the LIGHTEST adjustable 2-piece paddle I have ever tried). You can easily expect a 390 grams for the complete one-piece paddle at 188cm.
Adjustability: Their adjusting ring has been put to the test with maniacs on surfskis. It's got a 15cm adjustment - very clear.
Travel Option: There isn't a travel option yet, as far as I know.
Shaft Diameter: standard diameter, identical to the surfski shaft - 28.25mm ROUND (therefore probably different than what you are used to) - there's only one option that you are likely to get used to rather quickly.

@TAUTO
Saving about 100 euros on a 400 euro purchase is welcomed to me, but the best part of this paddle isn't just the price. At this point, I would have put it next to Quickblade and paid $450 for the Braca innovation that feels perfectly throughout the paddle stroke.

I just beg to disagree on the importance of a good blade.
Perfectly fitting ski boots are far more important than the greatest skis with the worst boots, any time any day. In that respect, give me a lousy board with a great paddle and I will paddle for ever - but give me a great board with a lousy paddle and I will just stay on the shore.

Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 12:21:17 AM »
The Braca SUP paddles webpages are tragic. Wrong links, missing information, and a load of meaningless Starboard-style marketing mumbo-jumbo. If they put the same amount of care into making their paddles as making their webpages, then I wouldn’t go to sea with one.

I told YOU :)
For the most part, I'll even add this: Europe's view on communication is generally a far cry from what it should be. We are in 2018!!!

However, that is specifically why I took the time to share this new product:
-sure you save some hard-earned money
-but you must take a look at this paddle, especially if you like the feel of a Quickblade throughout the paddle stroke.

BTW: That Braca (sounds like BRAH - TCHA) thing isn't made in China. It's made by people who have tons of experience building high end quality products. Look at their numbers in the Summer Olympics - more medals than anyone else perhaps goes to shoe trust. 
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 07:48:46 AM »
I'm interested in performance rather than a 25% cost saving. I have generally always sworn by quickblades (and train with them in both SUP and dragonboat). However, my current racing paddle of choice is the Black Project Hydro. Its incredibly light and the materials are top drawer. It isn't as day to day robust as the quickblade (they use an ABS strip to protect theirs) but then I'm after performance as I said.

Braca has pedigree but I want to see what their performance angle is with their design before I'd invest. Looking at their webpage, their weight is too high in my view.

I use the Hydro 83 with my Ace-GT and it seems to work very nicely and been the perfect sizing in between 90 and 82 (the blade surface is actually 84.5). The only difference is that I am using with the Hydro blade a KeNalu Xtuf(S) shaft - the neck and shoulder Savior!
otherwise, I am still swearing by my KeNalu Mana 90 and 82.
I do not thing that I could change to a paddle brand where you cannot glue/unglue and switch components at will.
That and the really high prices kept me out of Quickblade.

The Braca paddle gave me a shudder thinking that the very square bottom of the blade could be a killer for the shoulders.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 08:49:20 AM »
Square blade tip had me worried too. I was VERY wrong. I can attest that the entire paddle feels alive, and absorbs just the right amount.

FYI:
I use Braca hot glue (black sticks) for my surfski paddle. I use the same for the SUP paddle. I can tell you that you can glue and unglue surfski paddle at will, all day long if you wanted. There hasn't been a single time when my glueing jobs were faulty RE: Surfski.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 09:18:20 AM »
Gone over blades galore in this forum.  I have 5 and they all have pros and cons like my 5 boards.  No one -> best at everything.  All compromises in their own way depending on conditions and use etc.

The SB HA and Blackfish HA have the same profile.  Very well suited to keep the shaft tight to the board.  Both have a strong catch but less than the bigger blade shown behind.  One light carbon -> one light kevlar.  So better to say each paddle is different and one is better for this -> and one is better for that -> under these specific circumstances.... For me.  YMMV.  Blade size play huge how much stress is applied to your traps.  We have 67 to 78 to 116 according to manufacturer specs.  ;)

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »
I'm impressed this Braca outfit actually makes them.  I'd be willing to bet the bulk of paddles most of you use came from a supplier like this...

For U$20 - 75. they can ship 10,000 a month. 

photofr may have sold this a little hard and got your juices going, but maybe both he and Braca know a little about the subject.  I like the paddles I have, but more information is good.  ...and, I don't give a C'hit whether a website can sell ice cream in Siberia, or Robbie can buy all the talent he wants, it's guys like Creek and others that actually use stuff that makes the difference to me.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 09:35:55 AM »
Or you could just get a small Quickblade V-Drive with oval tapered shaft like so many of the elite pros choose, and then you’ll never need to buy another paddle :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »
I'm impressed this Braca outfit actually makes them.  I'd be willing to bet the bulk of paddles most of you use came from a supplier like this...

Building a paddle from scratch in the USA would require a huge commitment in machinery and the EPA and OSHA would be breathing down your neck. Mylar-wrapped mandrel-built shafts waste giant wads of plastic with each shaft.  For what? To compete for the huge market for SUP paddles? It's amazing that Quickblade and Kialoa build as much of their paddles as they do in the USA, but they started on canoe paddles long ago. There's a market, but you have to build a lot of types of paddles and cost of manufacturing, distribution and retail profit isn't going anywhere but up.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal