Author Topic: SUP – Accessibility to Kids  (Read 103979 times)

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
SUP – Accessibility to Kids
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:40:20 AM »
Looking at the future of SUP, I keep thinking that we need to put more youngsters on boards – more often. This would include introducing our young ones to water safety, navigation, biomechanics, competition, environmental issues, respect of others, SUP touring, SUP camping, and much more.

To accomplish this, I believe we also need to address some of the difficulties kids will face, and possible solutions.

BOARD DESIGN
Seemingly, there aren’t that many boards produced for tiny paddlers. Inflatable SUP may be the answer.

PADDLE DESIGN
I am glad to see more and more adjustable paddles for SUP, however, blade size for kids (and I mean tiny blades) are nearly non-existent. This is probably the first thing that manufacturer need to be concerned with if they want to see more young people taking part in the sport.

PROGRAMS
Programs designed for kids are nearly non-existent, but could easily be implemented with a little bit of work. Schools could even offer extra credits for participation in the sport, as overall grades would be boosted (a proven fact that sports help develop the brain)

WIND
Windy days will make paddling very difficult for the tiny ones. Installing a simple rudder system may eliminate the problem. Keeping in mind that external rudders (external lines, external rudder at the rear of the board) are so simple to install – though not yet implemented except for certain downwind boards.

Can it be done with ease?
Do you see other issues?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:42:27 AM by photofr »
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: SUP – Accessibility to Kids
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »
I've thought about this too. There are kid boards but they're pretty expensive. The best compromise with price/durability/design is probably the Bic Dura-Tec 8'4", and that's $549. I have one for my kids, but only because I snatched it up at a crazy Amazon sale. Most parents won't be able to do the 2–3 upgrades you'll need to keep a kid paddling an ideal kid design. Speaking of kid paddles, the Bic kid paddle is kinda crappy. I only know because I have one of those too.

I'd like to see some well made flatwater boards that are under $500.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:43:57 PM »
Here in SoCal we a lot of kids that are surf groms turned paddle grom racers. Their parents are sometimes waterman men and women, past lifeguards or pro surfers, so a little fanatical about getting them on the water. Like kids practicing for the olympics, these kids are fearless and have skills. There is a youth ocean race training club here, and the kids train all week in and out of the surf. It was going pretty strong a few years back, but I'm not sure if it's growing, static or what? Probably foiling now:)

The crappy pictures I took. I had a crappy lens with me.

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 07:00:14 PM »
Sunova just came out with kids size race boards... they make the full Sunova line at 10'6

Here are a few pics Tino sent me last night.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 12:42:44 AM »
@TALL
Actually, I think the photo of the two kids running through the shore break is pretty awesome.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 06:08:04 AM »
@TALL
Actually, I think the photo of the two kids running through the shore break is pretty awesome.
+1

I'm proud of the fact that the CCBC helped get SUP started at Community Boating Center in Boston. CBC has taught 1,000's of inner city kids to sail since it's founding in the 1930's (including Pono and our brother Dave). They have a nice fleet of small sailboats of different flavors, windsurfers, and kayaks....and now SUPs. Naish, Kialoa, and MTI sold us gear at cost. We gave them 6 boards, paddles, PFDs, and leashes 6 years ago and they've added more since. Now if I see kids/people on a SUP around the Esplanade in Boston I smile... :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:13:15 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 09:09:24 AM »
@TALL
Yeah, I can't take credit for those first 3 pic's. I was standing next to the professional that was shooting those and he had a 1DX with a wide and a 7D with a 70-200 Holy Grail and 1.5x adapter. All hanging around his neck. I'm about 4 years into photography seriously. The browser pop-up ads on my Zone pages always show expensive glass that I can only dream about.  I have one 18-50mm 2.8 that I get amazing portrait and indoor sport stop action with. My 18-300mm f5 crap kit lens is all I have for shooting surfing. I'm looking at a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8. It's my next purchase.
Here's the best I could get that day. I was shooting in Manual just playing around. My ISO was too high and every shot was grainy and over exposed. Plus the focus is never right with that kit lens:(
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 11:16:59 PM »
Kids love photos. That may be one way to get them to come back on a SUP. Plus, kids never get enough attention.

Regarding lenses, you may want to stay away from Sigma. I say this because seemingly, their products equates to a hit or miss. Missing it is to be taken literally: focus is super slow compared to Nikon or Canon lenses. Money often times dictates our spending, so perhaps look into used Nikon or Canon lenses (I think you would be impressed).

And then remember: some photos do not really require special equipment.
Here are two rock climbing photos - taken in 1999 - but amateur equipment.

"just keep your eyes open, and share what you see, share what caught your attention to begin with". ENJOY!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:39:28 PM by photofr »
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 05:53:52 AM »
ok ok.... I'm doin' my part  ;D

Taught 2 kids to paddle yesterday...
they really took to it, natural paddle strokes and they "got" it... I think they're hooked! (pic's 1-3)

Engaging kids is more than proper this or that..... just let them have fun on the water..... let them be kids!

My goal in teaching anyone, is NEVER a proper paddle stroke.
The ONLY goal.... teach them to love SUP, let them discover what paddling means to THEM.
Most people just want to paddle along, enjoying nature and chatting with their friends, and goof around.

Once they are engaged, I work with the stroke they have, and help it evolve into a solid stroke.
I have seen "technical" instructors confuse and frustrate students.... it becomes just another thing they are not good at. Done, over.

I take them somewhere.... as soon as they can stand and paddle, we head out exploring.
They forget they are paddling and start looking around, discovering wetland nature... many for the 1st time.

We make stops to explore and relax... play and have fun.

I'll include a pic showing a 6 hour canoe tour I led on a SUP for a camp group..... many stops for swimming and exploring. (pic # 11)

If kids "discover" for themselves that SUP can be fun and tailored to THEIR needs, they will be more likely to get the stoke.
They have enough organize activities in their life... they need something where they can connect at their own level.
Kids naturally compete, so that will come..... but let them love it first!

Some picture from my kid lessons.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 07:54:34 AM »
Looks like a fun day. I love exploring with the kids.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 01:42:35 PM »
I bring me son to all the races I do and he loves it. It has been super fun getting away from the girls, doing a little traveling and just spending some time together. Fortunate enough to get a hand me down board for him was pretty much the only way we could swing it. Will be forwarding it on to someone else when he needs something bigger. I think that’s the best way to get these kids out there. Accessible gear, kid friendly events and the stoke of everyone around them fueling their interest.
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 12:17:24 AM »
The smiles say it all.

@ SUP the creek
I agree with everything you said. I will also add to other parents:
Set them up for success: CHOOSE the right day carefully for their first time out on a board - calm / no wind / sunny if at all possible.

Great stuff though.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 05:11:43 AM »
These pics are really inspirational. Keep them coming!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
All right, I'll bite.

Here is my kid when 2.5 yo

Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status