Stand Up Paddle > SUP Advocacy

SUP – Accessibility to Kids

(1/4) > >>

photofr:
Looking at the future of SUP, I keep thinking that we need to put more youngsters on boards – more often. This would include introducing our young ones to water safety, navigation, biomechanics, competition, environmental issues, respect of others, SUP touring, SUP camping, and much more.

To accomplish this, I believe we also need to address some of the difficulties kids will face, and possible solutions.

BOARD DESIGN
Seemingly, there aren’t that many boards produced for tiny paddlers. Inflatable SUP may be the answer.

PADDLE DESIGN
I am glad to see more and more adjustable paddles for SUP, however, blade size for kids (and I mean tiny blades) are nearly non-existent. This is probably the first thing that manufacturer need to be concerned with if they want to see more young people taking part in the sport.

PROGRAMS
Programs designed for kids are nearly non-existent, but could easily be implemented with a little bit of work. Schools could even offer extra credits for participation in the sport, as overall grades would be boosted (a proven fact that sports help develop the brain)

WIND
Windy days will make paddling very difficult for the tiny ones. Installing a simple rudder system may eliminate the problem. Keeping in mind that external rudders (external lines, external rudder at the rear of the board) are so simple to install – though not yet implemented except for certain downwind boards.

Can it be done with ease?
Do you see other issues?

Ichabod Spoonbill:
I've thought about this too. There are kid boards but they're pretty expensive. The best compromise with price/durability/design is probably the Bic Dura-Tec 8'4", and that's $549. I have one for my kids, but only because I snatched it up at a crazy Amazon sale. Most parents won't be able to do the 2–3 upgrades you'll need to keep a kid paddling an ideal kid design. Speaking of kid paddles, the Bic kid paddle is kinda crappy. I only know because I have one of those too.

I'd like to see some well made flatwater boards that are under $500.

TallDude:
Here in SoCal we a lot of kids that are surf groms turned paddle grom racers. Their parents are sometimes waterman men and women, past lifeguards or pro surfers, so a little fanatical about getting them on the water. Like kids practicing for the olympics, these kids are fearless and have skills. There is a youth ocean race training club here, and the kids train all week in and out of the surf. It was going pretty strong a few years back, but I'm not sure if it's growing, static or what? Probably foiling now:)

The crappy pictures I took. I had a crappy lens with me.

supthecreek:
Sunova just came out with kids size race boards... they make the full Sunova line at 10'6

Here are a few pics Tino sent me last night.

photofr:
@TALL
Actually, I think the photo of the two kids running through the shore break is pretty awesome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version