Author Topic: Vimeo is DEAD (To Me)  (Read 3889 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Vimeo is DEAD (To Me)
« on: February 21, 2018, 07:21:51 PM »
I just went to upload a video to Vimeo and it claimed I had exceeded my limit.

Historically you always got 500MB per week of uploads.  I had not used Vimeo in a few weeks so I tried again.

No Luck.  Vimeo has now CAPPED THEIR FREE VIMEO BASIC @ 5 GB lifetime use.

This is totally new in fact Vimeo showed that I had already used 9.7 GB well beyond the NEW limit. 

I guess I will be using Youtube exclusively.  It's too bad because Vimeo was the only option to allow for updating a video.  Youtube takes your video but does NOT allow for uploading a newer version on the same URL.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:24:19 PM by Beasho »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Vimeo is DEAD (To Me)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:24:49 PM »
Personally I don't like them because they allow their "pro" accounts to bypass music licensing. YouTube doesn't have a better plan but at least they have content ID and let people monetize their songs when used.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:18:17 PM »
Yup, vimeo doesn't have a path to monetization, so they are eating their seed corn. Say goodbye.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 08:36:46 AM »
I hear you.  Their service/business model is confusing or maybe trying to figure out what they offer is hard.

I accidentally discovered that what Vimeo is GREAT for is building/hosting a pay per view website.  I think Wim Hof and maybe FMTV both use/used vimeo to start their subscription or video course programs.  I have been tinkering with it, and it is really powerful and easy to use.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:12:19 PM »
Easy to do with Wordpress. I'd be careful about doing much with Visio. I suspect they're on the way down the tube. I made the mistake of using Wordpress' video hosting for some projects. They didn't get the kind of participation they needed to sustain the project. It's pretty much dead, though some of the video I hosted there still work. I'm waiting for them to disappear. I don't have backups--DUMBSHIT.  This site I built years ago with Dave Kalama, Chris P and Sonni Honschied has some videos working and some dead:
http://www.watermanworkout.com/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:14:14 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 07:57:27 PM »
Even easier to do on top of Amazon Web Services, And I doubt they're going the way of the dodo anytime soon :D
in progress...

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 10:17:03 PM »
It has always.  Sucked
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 08:14:33 PM »
Even easier to do on top of Amazon Web Services, And I doubt they're going the way of the dodo anytime soon :D

I agree that Amazon is fast and cheap.  My experience with AWS is that the UI is hair pullingly frustrating and unnecessarily complicated, reminds of Linux.  Out of curiosity can you enlighten me as to an easy way to do VOD on one's own website with Amazon?

ON a side note:  I have in-laws that worked for Amazon, and after hearing their stories I sold my stock and do my best to buy local.

Ponobill I hear your pain, and appreciate the word of caution.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 08:34:23 PM »

I agree that Amazon is fast and cheap.  My experience with AWS is that the UI is hair pullingly frustrating and unnecessarily complicated, reminds of Linux.  Out of curiosity can you enlighten me as to an easy way to do VOD on one's own website with Amazon?

ON a side note:  I have in-laws that worked for Amazon, and after hearing their stories I sold my stock and do my best to buy local.

Yes their UI use to be horrific for the longest time but they doubled down on it recently and many services are almost unrecognizable as far as UI.

If I was to offer VOD I would probably look into AWS Elemental MediaStore on top of one of a popular "Static Site Generator" (Jekyll is a good one).
Built upon some of their infrastructure services (Route 53, S3 & CloudFront to name few). Would be easy to integrate and bullet proof as far as performance.
in progress...

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 07:22:59 AM »

Yes their UI use to be horrific for the longest time but they doubled down on it recently and many services are almost unrecognizable as far as UI.

If I was to offer VOD I would probably look into AWS Elemental MediaStore on top of one of a popular "Static Site Generator" (Jekyll is a good one).
Built upon some of their infrastructure services (Route 53, S3 & CloudFront to name few). Would be easy to integrate and bullet proof as far as performance.

Thanks for this, first I am hearing of their mediastore.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 05:08:41 PM »
I felt EXACTLY the same way. But I knew of the cap b4 even visiting the site. A notification email was sent. Too bad, I always thought of Vim as a classier ver of YT.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 05:48:26 PM »
I love that you are 8.59 GB over but you could "Free up some Space" and then be back to ZERO.

Good luck with that!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal