Author Topic: Post Retirement Jobs  (Read 20899 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Post Retirement Jobs
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2018, 02:53:54 PM »
Thanks QB, connector and stoney,

You are mirroring my sentaments; I want to give myself some time to play before I get too old and slow.  And I feel myself getting a bit slower, especially apparent after hanging out with my 30 something kids.  I forgot what it was like to have all that energy and enthusiasm. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2018, 02:57:41 PM »

I guess all I'm saying, nothing wrong with being burned out at your job, and wanting to do something different. But trying to retire, and still have a "post retirement job" seem like a pretty darn difficult thing to do...as retirement tends to take away from the necessary attention that real jobs (or businesses) tend to require is all. JMO....YMMV.

Truer words were never spoken.  It's an oxymoron, you know, sort of like "jumbo shrimp."
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2018, 08:46:42 AM »
Thanks QB, connector and stoney,

And I feel myself getting a bit slower, especially apparent after hanging out with my 30 something kids.  I forgot what it was like to have all that energy and enthusiasm.

That's true except for when we go out dancing....the kids have a hard time keeping up with me..... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

rbgar

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »
all i need is three hots, a cot and a VD shot  :o

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2018, 10:28:45 AM »
I've been thinking about this subject (and thread) in a new light recently, and I think I've decided on a semi-retirement path.  Work half time-get half pay, and have something to do when the surf sucks or I get that "vacationed-out" feeling and just want to go to work and enjoy the routine it provides.  Since I have the professional registration needed by my company, and I think I can still offer a reasonable semblance of the services I provide to my employer, I'm hoping he'll see it as a savings without any real negatives to his bottom line or daily operations.  At 55 now, with the plan to enter the semi state at 62 and run with it to 68 or 70, and maybe beyond.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2018, 01:18:29 PM »
Different circumstances I know; but I say "retire as soon as you can" (semi-retirement if that works), because I've never once had that "vacationed-out" feeling...even though while I was still working, I was sure I would miss the excitement of the calls, and the camaraderie of my "second family" at the department.

But what retirement let me do, was all of the things I loved, but never seemed to have the time to commit to them like I wanted to with the regular work schedule I had.

So before we got our place at the beach in 2011 (I retired in late 2009), I was able to coach baseball at the HS that I'd always wanted to do, and then when we moved to the beach full time in late 2013...I just found my new "beach family" of friends to hang with (didn't hurt that a bunch of them are other retired firemen as well) to spend my spare time with, and haven't ever been happier.

But not once have I ever regretted my decision (although it worried me a lot just before pulling the plug), and my wife went through the same dilemma for a couple of years before she finally called it quits two years ago, and still asks/kicks herself as to why she waited a couple years longer than she should have. She too is having the time of her life, doesn't miss it for a minute, and is as busy now as she was before...but just doing the things that she wants to do, and not just those the job dictated earlier.

All I can say is "Try it, I think you'll like love it".  :D

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2018, 09:24:45 AM »
Different circumstances I know; but I say "retire as soon as you can" (semi-retirement if that works), because I've never once had that "vacationed-out" feeling...even though while I was still working, I was sure I would miss the excitement of the calls, and the camaraderie of my "second family" at the department.

Slach and Sano, thank you for the insight.  I think the people who get "vacationed-out" are those who have nothning else they like to do, or are too lazy to get out and do them.  Most of us wouldn't have that kind of trouble.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:34:31 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2018, 11:42:32 AM »
The things I might like to do in retirement I found would put me back on some kind of treadmill.  Professions are so full of licensing, taxation, extortions, and general superfluous, time consuming, extraneous bullshit, that it you don't HAVE to do them for a living, then don't because the feedback loops are polluted and time consuming.  Also, taking on the usual legal liabilities that put you at risk and require insurance/bonding etc.  I have quit the one charitable committee that I participated in for my profession because there was liability and I wasn't covered.  I have talked with professionals who won't do any altruistic work in this country because of liabilities and only go to foreign countries.

The one thing I thought I might like doing would have required two years of part time course work at cost.  The money paid from part time work would have required years to pay back, with all licensing, continuing ed, etc. etc.

I can see why retired people just volunteer and  do lightweight, sociable things.

2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2018, 01:59:12 PM »

But what retirement let me do, was all of the things I loved, but never seemed to have the time to commit to them like I wanted to with the regular work schedule I had.

So before we got our place at the beach in 2011 (I retired in late 2009), I was able to coach baseball at the HS that I'd always wanted to do, and then when we moved to the beach full time in late 2013...I just found my new "beach family" of friends to hang with (didn't hurt that a bunch of them are other retired firemen as well) to spend my spare time with, and haven't ever been happier.

But not once have I ever regretted my decision (although it worried me a lot just before pulling the plug), and my wife went through the same dilemma for a couple of years before she finally called it quits two years ago, and still asks/kicks herself as to why she waited a couple years longer than she should have. She too is having the time of her life, doesn't miss it for a minute, and is as busy now as she was before...but just doing the things that she wants to do, and not just those the job dictated earlier.

Agree with everything you said SanoSup. I’ve said it before - my retirement years have been the best of my life. I’m now free to do what I want, when I want, how I want to do it.

The other thing that bears mentioning, is that you’ll never get this time back. When we’re young it seems like we have all the time in the world, but as we get a little older, we all of a sudden realize we have lived longer than we’re going to live. I say take advantage of these years to the maximum extent possible. How does that old saying go? “We work to live, we don’t live to work”.

So my advice, if you’ve got the finances to do it, and if you’ve got your health, take the plunge and retire. Retiring early was certainly one of the better decisions I’ve made in my life.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2018, 08:10:32 AM »

I agree with this comment wholeheartedly.  I'm now semi-retired, I went to half-time at my job last October.  Going from 40+ hours a week to just 20 is, quite frankly, amazing.  Also I work two ten hour days, so in essence I've flipped my week on it's head.  I have 2 days of work, then 5 days off.  It's glorious.

My stress levels have gone waaaay down.  I sleep better, and only wake up to an alarm 2 days a week.  I'm less hurried.  I have time to fix things, learn, read, and of course paddle and workout.

Everything about it is an improvement.  Our jobs create so much stress in life, and stress is a known killer.  I got to this point in my mid 40's because I saved my money and invested it wisely over the years.  No inheritance, no help.  I just chose to not own $30k cars and all of the consumer trappings that modern folks consider part of the "standard" things in life.

But I spent on my priorities.  I have 6 bikes, enough mountain climbing gear to outfit the 10th MTN division, and of course two SUP boards.  And a kayak.  Outdoor recreation is my priority and now I can go out on any random Tuesday and paddle or climb till my hearts content.  Life is good.
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2018, 10:12:20 AM »
Everything about it is an improvement.  Our jobs create so much stress in life, and stress is a known killer.  I got to this point in my mid 40's because I saved my money and invested it wisely over the years.  No inheritance, no help.  I just chose to not own $30k cars and all of the consumer trappings that modern folks consider part of the "standard" things in life.
^^^ This is the key to it all. ^^^

I was in a discussion with a well to do attorney years ago, who felt that my FD pension was unjust to the taxpayers (him) having to support it (and those of all the other retired "government employees"), saying that he would need $5-6M in his retirement account to achieve such a "lucrative" retirement. So I asked him, "Well then why don't/didn't you save/invest your money to do just that?"

He started in about how he "couldn't afford to do that", and I simply pointed out that he made at least twice as much per year than I did while I was working, and that if he would have taken half his annual income, save/invest it, lived the same way as I and my family did, he too would have the same retirement savings after 29 years (the number of years I had worked prior to retirement) to retire with the same kind of "pension" that I had through my "retirement savings".

I then told him that unfortunately, he would have to live in a similar modest but comfortable 4bd/2bth 2K sqft (not at the beach) home that we did, and not in his couple $M dollar house overlooking the ocean...drive $20-25K vehicles for 10 yrs before replacement, and not his $40-50K sports cars that he replaced every couple of years with the latest and greatest flashy models...take "camping" vacations annually instead of jet-setting all over the world to parts unknown, and still invest some of his "take home" pay into deferred comp accounts for additional retirement savings from the very first day he started his career, and make several real estate investments, all of which would help to supplement his eventual "pension" account he was saving with the other half his "other annual income"....and he too could "retire early", and live comfortably with the same life style he'd now learned to become accustomed to for all those years.

He looked at me like a had a third eye in the middle of my forehead, and pretty much just scoffed at such an crazy idea. So I couldn't help but then toss in..."All I'm saying, is don't get mad at me because it seems as though you apparently made such a poor career choice. You too could have tested for the FD after spending a year and half in college studying business law but decided you'd rather put your life on the line for the "taxpayers", have spent many a day away from your family for extended periods, especially during holidays, birthdays, weddings, and a bunch of your kids' "firsts" just like I did, and you too could have such a "cushy" retirement that I apparently have according to you".

He pretty much just shook his head in disgust (not sure at me or in his career/life choices), mumbled grumbled something, and walked away. Life at the beach can sure be fun, and interesting...as you never know what the topic of the day will be, but they're many times lively, and amusing.  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:19:41 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »
I decided to google some of my previous co-workers and friends.  I thought I might catch up with an old college buddy in SoCal and found his obituary:  he died two years ago after about two and a half years of retirement at the age of 66.

In my first job out of residency, the young partner was a pleasant, thin Asian guy who I thought would live to be 100.  I just found out he, too, died two years ago at the age of 71 without ever retiring.

I know of several men I have talked with at social gatherings who retired in their early 60s, who I heard died from six months to two years later.

I also looked up some guys who seemed quite wealthy when I was younger and I was struggling badly and in grim financial straits.  They are BOTH still working, one in his upper 80s and another who must have had some kind of grievous downfall, who moved to a small town in NoCal and is also elderly but still working. I used to think these guys had it made in the shade.

I guess like SanoSup, my wife and I have always been savers rather than "flashers".  A guy who I thought was loaded I now think is a compulsive gambler and day trader.  He works 50 hours a week after a coronary bypass at the age of 70.  I think he must have lost a bulk of his dough somewhere along the line.

One of my oldest friends I also believe has done gambling and day trading to his severe detriment.  I think being male forces a lot of men to take risks and gambles to try to get ahead.  Only a few pan out and hit the big time.

In my profession, there are lots of stories of flashy living and bankruptcies.  I know a couple of guys who have gone bankrupt twice, but you would think they were royalty from the way they live.  I also know of a couple of guys who wastreled spent every penny, but managed to latch on to rich old ladies to marry, Hah!

I think that in retirement that the 'leisure' stuff has spread out to fill the space that used to be devoted to working.  I just don't want to be pushed, prodded, poked and bummed to worship a schedule any more.  I am a parents worst nightmare, playing computer games, looking at the surf, reading, poking on the internet, working out.  I refuse to get a tattoo, though.  This is the first summer for a couple of years that I don't have an imminent home project to attend to, so I guess a few more lazy months at least.  I had no idea how burned out I was UNTIL I retired.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

esskay1000

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »
It comes down to realizing that you life is a trade off between time and money.  It's fine to work hard and try to make lots of money in your 20's and 30's, but when you get in your 40's and realize "there's fewer days in front of the horse than in the back of the cart", you really start to realize that time is worth WAY more than money.  And money is just a tool to buy you time. 

I'm not trading my time for money as much.  My time is too valuable.  If I didn't have to worry about the ACA going away I'd fully retire as I can afford to live on my stash easily - but only with good health insurance.  And I keep my job part time to keep my plan.  To be honest I like my job a whole lot better when it's only 20 hours a week :)

No one ever said "I wish I spent more time at the office" on their deathbed.  These people that feel they have to have 3500sq. ft houses and $40k cars and SUVs, they're going to be working till their 65 or 70. 

EFF THAT.

I may be "working" when I'm that old, but I guarantee you it'll be 'work' that makes me happy.  Like playing guitar in a band, volunteering, or doing kayak guiding.  If any of those things happen to bring in some money - that's great.  But I won't NEED the money.

"Work is great when you don't need the money"
My journey to financial independence
https://accidentalfire.com
Just.  Get.  Out.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2018, 01:17:10 PM »
I’m looking for a way to retire while not owning a home (which I don’t) and living on social security.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2018, 08:53:15 AM »
Dave,
That attorney "who felt that my FD pension was unjust to the taxpayers (him) having to support it (and those of all the other retired "government employees")" is right that its unjust, along with really bad math, unsustainable and terrible governance by those in charge of setting up retirement plans for our public servants.

"The California Public Employees’ Retirement System currently has a $153 billion unfunded liability, with only 68 percent of the assets it should have, largely because of similar, past hubris about investment returns."
https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/18/borenstein-calpers-about-to-bury-taxpayers-cities-counties-in-more-debt/

It's a discussion I have with my brother, a San Ramon PD officer quite often.  My fix would have been to be completely generous with IRA contribution matching, up to 20% of their salary, but eliminate all pensions.  This is a far better deal than I currently get in private industry (only up to 5%), and I'm not going to have any trouble retiring at 62.  I do believe that society needs to make the compensation for being PD or FD attractive, for all the obvious reasons, but to be tied to paying into an insane pension system is unconscionable.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM