Author Topic: Post Retirement Jobs  (Read 20969 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Post Retirement Jobs
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 11:47:42 AM »

But from what you describe as the positive results you’re seeing in the test results, it would be a totally reasonable step to take to invest in a good transactional IP lawyer.  It’s their job to do it right.
Thank you, I need to do that.  The only question is how to find one in SoCal.  Plenty out there, but it's daunting to choose somebody when you know very little about it. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:51:44 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 12:02:50 PM »
Hiring a lawyer is a skill in and of itself. I have dealt with clients who have a bad relationship with their lawyer and the results are usually bad.

If it were me I would first try to find out if I have a personal relationship with any kind of lawyer. Even a divorce lawyer will likely have a friend or know of a reputable firm that may be able to help. Start with any lawyer you know, the price of a beer or lunch could save a lot of headaches. Then follow the referral path until you find one who understands you and makes you comfortable.

Then after you have hired a lawyer and done some work,  their invoice comes - don't open right up. Line up 3 straight shots of your favorite alcohol; drink 2, read bill, and chase with the last. Easier to swallow that way, and never think of a consultants/lawyers invoice in terms of things (like a new board).
Make paddleboarding great again!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 12:57:46 PM »
Hiring a lawyer is a skill in and of itself. I have dealt with clients who have a bad relationship with their lawyer and the results are usually bad.

If it were me I would first try to find out if I have a personal relationship with any kind of lawyer. Even a divorce lawyer will likely have a friend or know of a reputable firm that may be able to help. Start with any lawyer you know, the price of a beer or lunch could save a lot of headaches. Then follow the referral path until you find one who understands you and makes you comfortable.

Then after you have hired a lawyer and done some work,  their invoice comes - don't open right up. Line up 3 straight shots of your favorite alcohol; drink 2, read bill, and chase with the last. Easier to swallow that way, and never think of a consultants/lawyers invoice in terms of things (like a new board).

LOL...I agree with the first and third statements...however, as someone who has spent several hundred thousand dollars in the IP arena and was successful in a Federal trademark court case against an infringer...I would look for a professional firm who has attorneys with experience and more importantly, successful litigation results right off the bat...they will list their cases on their websites...and, they won't mess around and take your money unless they think your product is legit and it's IP can be defended in court and would likely result in a monetary damage payout, if it should ever come to that...

IP law is very specific...patent, copyright, and trademark law all have their nuances...very expensive arena of law and the costs add up fast...not for the faint of heart...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 03:16:03 PM »
^^True that. I have a patent that I spent about 20K to get that I'll never enforce. It's a bullshit patent and unenforceable, but I didn't want some troll blackmailing me over something I "invented". Business is tough, much tougher than anyone expects.

Rent don't buy--applies to everything. Employees are a time and money sink to be avoided until there is no choice. Ditto for equipment. Ditto for partners. People get scared or lonely running their business or think they need special expertise and they partner up for all the wrong reasons. Your partner needs to be more compatible and more valuable to you than your wife. Otherwise just rent that expertise. Stay in the garage as long as you can. People dash out and increase their nut with rented space and stuff they can get by without. Read the four hour work week. Tim Ferris is a nut, but he's a smart nut.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jsb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 07:33:48 PM »

But from what you describe as the positive results you’re seeing in the test results, it would be a totally reasonable step to take to invest in a good transactional IP lawyer.  It’s their job to do it right.
Thank you, I need to do that.  The only question is how to find one in SoCal.  Plenty out there, but it's daunting to choose somebody when you know very little about it.

Zoo-

I’m actually a transactional IP lawyer, specializing in software.  I never thought I’d see the phrase “transactional IP” on this forum, but Zoners are an eclectic bunch…  :-)

I wouldn’t want to take you on as a formal client for several reasons (including an anachronistic desire to keep my work life separate from my “play life”).  But I’d be happy to kick around some ideas with a fellow Zoner off the meter, and maybe save you from some false starts.  Feel free to PM me at some point if you’d like to connect …

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 05:19:58 AM »
Saving me from false starts would be a big help.  Thanks.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 08:32:07 AM »
Man Zoo, this sounds like a minefield. And having spent more time than I'd like with lawyers, this thread is talking me into a Supthecreek lifestyle.  Off I go to Craigslist to find a $2K van, some PVC for a rack, and to sweet talk my way into becoming a SUP brand area rep.  Or you could be a shepherd.  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »
I've had more than a few of my friends (mainland) ask why I don't do another business since I've learned a lot about how to do it. The answer is simple--it's a ridiculous amount of work, and I don't need to. Some people find running a business to be great fun. Besides money, it gives them a seat next to the fire. If it's the right kind of business it gives them entree and respect they otherwise lack. I couldn't care less about that though I understand the value.

Every so often I forget myself and get tempted. Fortunately, the best business partner I've ever found was willing to marry me, and she is much more reluctant to get wrapped around that axle than I am.

Other than being born in the right bed, there's no more reliable way to make money than a successful business. Certainly any financial sector business offers a greater upside because the friction of directly trading in money is so low. But it's a lot bigger crapshoot. Software has a similar friction level, you can license vs. sell to make the customer base efficient (selling software outright is generally dumb). But it's all a lot of work and a huge learning curve. You can get stupidly lucky and make a lot of bucks without learning much, but that's lottery level. Mostly it's work. My wife and I worked 14+ hours a day, 7 days a week to start and run our agency. We loved the learning which is why we survived, but we both burned out. Fortunately, the burnout happened after success, but it certainly could have gone either way.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
Man Zoo, this sounds like a minefield. And having spent more time than I'd like with lawyers, this thread is talking me into a Supthecreek lifestyle.  Off I go to Craigslist to find a $2K van, some PVC for a rack, and to sweet talk my way into becoming a SUP brand area rep.  Or you could be a shepherd.  ;D

I hear ya SJ, I just want to retire, mountain bike, fly RC aircraft, and mostly SUP surf.  I've started and sold three businesses in my career.  Two had enough value in them to be sellable and the other one died.  I really don't want to get my hands dirty with starting a software company; a field I know little about (obviously since I had to look up what an IP lawyer was).  But I'm really excited about my invention because it is helping children learn a skill they need, and doing it better than anything else I've seen.  Not sure what I'm going to do with it...just don't have the drive to go through all that startup headache again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:17:41 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 06:29:36 PM »
No offense, but isn't the title and thread an oxymoron? Looking for a job "post retirement" sounds more like you're looking for more of a career change, than really being ready for retirement.  :-\

Nothing wrong with that, but being fortunate to experience an early retirement some 8+ years ago...all I can say, is that "retirement is a full time job with all that's involved with it", and trying to fit some other job into it regardless of what it might be, or how little one plans on working at it...is still going to be very difficult time management to give your retirement the full time attention that it deserves.  :o :)

I guess all I'm saying, nothing wrong with being burned out at your job, and wanting to do something different. But trying to retire, and still have a "post retirement job" seem like a pretty darn difficult thing to do...as retirement tends to take away from the necessary attention that real jobs (or businesses) tend to require is all. JMO....YMMV.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:37:20 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »
An oxymoron that millions do? Isn't 'retirement" whatever someone calls it? Maybe in the dictionary the word is clear but the concept is subjective. If I build and sell $15,000 worth of custom furniture...something I enjoy doing anyway and then use the proceeds to take my family on a nice vacation...I still call that retirement from commuting 2 hours a day and sitting at a computer for 7-8..... ;) 8) I have no idea how much I'll actually do but I don't want to just stop....easing into retirement sounds better to me. Even after I really retire.. :) :) :)...I'm pretty sure I'll volunteer at something.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:35:38 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2018, 11:23:00 PM »
I suppose retirement is different for everyone. The one thing I knew with some degree of certainty when I retired is that I would not be working. I had no desire to work in any capacity and was not under any financial pressure to do so. I was pretty fortunate in that my wife and I were both very diligent savers during our working years. We were also married later in life and didn’t have children, so we didn’t have those child rearing expenditures that most others have.

When I was planning my retirement, I did think I would do some volunteer work. I was planning on it. But two things happened. First, I just didn’t want to be tied down to any kind of schedule. I had enough of that during my working years. And secondly, I just don’t know where I would find the time.

I find in my retirement that I’m a great putterer, if that makes sense. I just seem to always be busy. I was concerned when I first retired because in my job I worked a lot of hours and didn’t really have any hobbies. But my days now are full and are busy. I’ve also become active in our local Community and that has also taken up a good deal of time.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, I had a certain vision of what my retirement would be like, and it turned out differently. So don’t be surprised if your retirement takes a different route than you had originally envisioned. And if I had any advice it would to be open to whatever path is laid before you.

I tell people all the time that my retirement has been, and continues to be an absolutely awesome journey. My retirement years have been the best of my life, and it just keeps getting better.

So good luck to all of you as you contemplate this major, life changing event. Make the most of it, because if you have your health and are financially stable, these can be great, great years!
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2018, 08:19:36 AM »
If I hadn't had children I'd have retired 5 years ago at least...kids are a major cash suck.... :)

I'm sure retirement will be somewhat different than I envision it. I'm a good putterer too so I know what you mean. Your right about working to someone else's schedule too. If I semi-retire (I guess that a better term) at 62 I'll semi-work until 65 mostly to help with healthcare and finance the extras.  Full retirement at 65 but not touching SS until we have to at 70. That will be possible by doing the fun stuff on my own schedule and making some extra $$ with it.

Glad your having such an awesome time. I just hope I don't croak 1st.... :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2018, 11:51:56 AM »
Glad your having such an awesome time. I just hope I don't croak 1st.... :P

Thanks Stoneaxe. And while I know you’re kidding about “croaking”, it is something to consider. I’ll be turning 65 this year, and have seen friends with deteriorating health. My brother-in-law lost his wife when he was just 55. Sooner or later these health issues are going to affect us all. So my view was always to retire as early as I could to give myself the best chance to enjoy my years free from work in good health.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2018, 12:12:04 PM »
You really have nothing if you don't have your health. My number one job now is trying to stay healthy and enjoy the outdoor activities that I can do. Since my wife and I have spent most of our lives running business from home we are at least used to each other being around all the time....and we share most of the same interests.  So for me,  I have enjoyed slowly slipping into "retirement". My wife continues to work,  but with a much reduced workload. I am just about completely done in the shop,  now my main goal is to try and get rid of all of the tools and gear that I no longer need. I watch our spending and our investments like a hawk because I know we will need to marshal our funds carefully for a long life. Thank goodness we have been good savers and my wife appreciates my "tightness" (I can tell you to the penny how much money we spend and on what....I do a daily spreadsheet to track every expense). I enjoy knowing where we stand and don't mind the time it takes to manage our money. Again,  health is priority #1 because medical costs will KILL you for sure. ;)
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal