Author Topic: Need Help Estimating SUP/Kayak Rack  (Read 24494 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Need Help Estimating SUP/Kayak Rack
« on: October 28, 2019, 06:45:17 PM »
Hey everyone, my city of Peekskill just got a $10 million grant from NYS to develop the downtown and waterfront. I would love to have them build a permanent kayak/SUP rack and kiosk that my nonprofit would use and manage. I would like these to be lockable, preferably in cages, and roofed.

The problem is, I have no idea how much this would cost. The area is already zoned for this kind of project, so permissions aren't really an issue. I just need to let the city know how much I would ask for. Does anybody have any knowledge about this? I could use a little help in presenting this and estimating its cost.

I honestly think there's a good chance this will get approved. Since I started doing lessons at the waterfront, we have gotten some really good publicity and feedback from the community and local government.

There's a similar rack about 20 miles north of me which costs about $600K. This included solar panels, a fancy deck, and shoreline sculpturing, none of which I need. (Picture included.) I like the function of the cages and roof though.

Can anybody help a brother out?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Estimating SUP/Kayak Rack
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 07:07:35 PM »
Sure. If you lowball a project like that it will only get built if it's out of the enthusiast's pockets. If you want the local gov controlling a grant to pay for it then just copy the one with everything, and maybe add a few new bells and whistles. Don't look at what you think you need, look at what the folks who control the purse strings will be happy to have built and be associated with them. For example, that fancy-schmancy one doesn't seem to have a half-sunk landing ramp to make it easy and safe for people to slide their kayak onto it and get out without taking a chance of falling and getting hurt. Take a lesson from the one that got built. Get them to give you their plans and budget. Add a few bells of your own and raise the ante to cover them. Find out who the builder was and enlist him so the people who can say yes, say yes to a person who has already done one and can give them a budget that sticks and a project that gets done on time. That builder will have a nice bag of ideas that can plus one the last one they did. Nobody wants to be associated with the budget B team version. Nobody wants to be associated with a project that goes over time and over budget. Nail those aspects and the rest is on autopilot. You don't want solar? Are you serious? The cool factor of solar and a little powerwall is through the roof. No, I don't have any idea of what you'd use that for but I bet you could come up with a dozen reasons. Charge emergency radios. support a little concert on the dock. Concessions. See what the one 20 miles away does with it and plus five that.

Remember that you don't get to go back to the well a second time. Then you're a pain in the ass.

And here's the best part--do it well and people will treat it better. Do it cheap and it will get trashed.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:27:25 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 08:27:52 PM »
Pono is spot on. Especially about not going back to the well. You have to consider what all the admin costs. It can cost as much to talk about and plan a project in a large org, like a government, as it does to build the thing. So getting it right from the start is key.

The idea of finding the contractor from the first setup is a great idea. They will have great ideas of how to improve things as well.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 09:14:06 AM »
Thank you. Those are good places to start.

We already have the launch itself. We just need storage. I found the architect who designed the beacon structure (https://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/kayak-pavilion-for-long-dock-park). I guess I can just contact them about a new one? Again, I have no idea how to go about doing this.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal