Author Topic: Surfing Backside: video and discussion  (Read 12733 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfing Backside: video and discussion
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 05:17:16 AM »
my fantasy is to get backside cutback dialed, then move to lip-slide---frontside lipslide is almost a natural bertleman setup, while backside lipslide requires one stay on top of the board more---was one of my specialty skate moves at age 19 in a sweet softlipped pool at the "concrete curl" in boulder colo in 1977! that was a sweet skatepark: long deep half-pipe with vert walls, great huge kephole pool with coping all around, and then one very deep soft lippped pool--saw steve alba laying out slides for 25 feet in these--and saw him do equally long rock and roll slides in the keyhole--fun times

i skied B team, but had a friend from marin/squaw who was a rippin A skier, surfed OB SF, and was my skating bro--

i have been dfialing surfing switch (i am reg footed) and it's all about the feel of fakies back then in the pipes
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 08:29:04 AM »
Good angle, good surfing, good conditions, good breakdown.  I liked how you broke it down, really helpful to hear someone explain something in their own verbiage/terms/language - hearing someone else wrap their head around a technique helps my understanding.

Thanks for putting in the time.

I look forward to seeing more.
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »
my fantasy is to get backside cutback dialed, then move to lip-slide---frontside lipslide is almost a natural bertleman setup, while backside lipslide requires one stay on top of the board more---was one of my specialty skate moves at age 19 in a sweet softlipped pool at the "concrete curl" in boulder colo in 1977! that was a sweet skatepark: long deep half-pipe with vert walls, great huge kephole pool with coping all around, and then one very deep soft lippped pool--saw steve alba laying out slides for 25 feet in these--and saw him do equally long rock and roll slides in the keyhole--fun times

i skied B team, but had a friend from marin/squaw who was a rippin A skier, surfed OB SF, and was my skating bro--

i have been dfialing surfing switch (i am reg footed) and it's all about the feel of fakies back then in the pipes

This...

Pretty cool eastbound...like you, I also grew up skating and surfing in the 70's...and, was hugely influenced by Bertlemann's low center of gravity ripping surf & skate style...as were many of us that saw it first hand...once Bert...and, also Buttons (RIP) started traveling to California, it was all over...I remember sessions of Bert on a single fin "Stinger" at Pipes in Ventura like they were yesterday...lord only knows what his surfing would have been like on a quad fin setup...;-)

Bert also had a huge influence on the Z-Boys...who also were influencers in our area...so, I also remember skating with Z-boy, Jay Adams (RIP)...and, surfing with him at the Mexican Pipeline, like it was yesterday...no wonder that decades later I'm still influenced by that low wound-up style...and, love pulling off a layback move whenever I get the chance...;-)

https://youtu.be/F06FlVg6vtI

https://youtu.be/RourkHSDD_8

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 10:11:48 AM »

You and me brother. That was my skate park era. I was on a park team at Skateboard Odyssey in Mission Viejo, CA competing against other parks. My move was a backside slide and roll /ses combo. I would hit the long wall of a big capsule pool or long halfpipe, snap into a backside ses slide, hit the lip and do a backside sliding rock and roll (on my long john sliders) then transition back down the wall and complete the second half of the backside ses slide. Got a lot of trophies from that move. 

My sup surfing hard backside cutbacks are successful maybe 50% of the time (I'll have to confer with Pono on that percentage). If I commit to it, but if I don't have enough speed or my back foot isn't in the right spot or I forget my longboard doesn't turn that hard, I won't make it. I'll have to try switchfoot one my sup one of these days. I never gave it a thought when I windsurfed, but it wasn't as comfortable skateboarding. My fakies were pretty much straight up and back with no turns. 

I think Cookie is the backside King of the Zone:) His rail grabs are a testament to backside commitment. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:15:31 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 09:06:18 PM »
I grew up on a dirt road... I used to read skate mags and dream of parks and CA and surfing. Strangely it took me 20 years in SoCal before I took to the ocean. Making up for lost time and living my childhood dreams.

Those pics are awesome. Wardog that skate shot of LB with the fro is all time.

Also agree with Cookie bringing the man grabs. I need to surf with someone like that who will push me to go.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 09:34:44 PM »
I grew up on a dirt road... I used to read skate mags and dream of parks and CA and surfing. Strangely it took me 20 years in SoCal before I took to the ocean. Making up for lost time and living my childhood dreams.

Those pics are awesome. Wardog that skate shot of LB with the fro is all time.

Also agree with Cookie bringing the man grabs. I need to surf with someone like that who will push me to go.
My favorite thing about those old pictures is the custom pair of original Vans shoes I'm wearing. That was my birthday present each year. Going to the tiny Vans shoe store in San Clemente a picking what colors I wanted and where I wanted them on the shoes. I think one of my pairs had 4 or 5 different fabrics. Had to have the checker board swatch somewhere. Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll blaring from the loud speakers at the skateparks:) Good times and broken bones!
It's not overhead to me!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 09:48:43 AM »
very nice pics, wd/td

gotta dig up some pics of my own---uggh--theyre in a box in the basement, and would need to be scanned

here's a memory for then---rector skate shorts! no more op! hip pads velcro'ed in--wonder if hip hits skating have a role in my no more pop up left hip??
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 10:47:07 AM »
Of course it does. Every dumbshit crazy fun thing you did as a kid comes back to haunt you. A skateboard injury to my ankle is the reason my left knee and hip are a problem. forty years of dragging that foot and standing funny and PRESTO!
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 11:32:54 AM »
Longboarder holding paddle vs Stand Up Paddle Surfing Using Dynamic Paddle, Head, Shouldlers, Hips ???

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 12:11:09 PM »
very nice pics, wd/td

gotta dig up some pics of my own---uggh--theyre in a box in the basement, and would need to be scanned

here's a memory for then---rector skate shorts! no more op! hip pads velcro'ed in--wonder if hip hits skating have a role in my no more pop up left hip??
You nailed it. Here you go...... Rector skate shorts with all the pads stacked up on my left hip ;)
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 12:16:26 PM »
Of course it does. Every dumbshit crazy fun thing you did as a kid comes back to haunt you. A skateboard injury to my ankle is the reason my left knee and hip are a problem. forty years of dragging that foot and standing funny and PRESTO!
That's what did to my knee in a few years ago. Skated down the hill to the beach to go to the Blues Festival at Doheny. I dragged my foot all the way down the hill like I was 14 years old. Then kicked hard in the flats all the way to the Festival. My knee swelled up and I was limping around for weeks. 
It's not overhead to me!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 01:30:55 PM »
Great shot TD...

Here's what's left of my still functioning Santa Cruz Skate Boards stick...bombed some killer hills behind the Redwood Curtain on that board...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 02:22:32 PM »
clickety click go the tiles, td
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »
Great shot TD...

Here's what's left of my still functioning Santa Cruz Skate Boards stick...bombed some killer hills behind the Redwood Curtain on that board...
WD,
Before the skateparks, gunning hills was what we did. I built a board with double trucks on the back to stiffen it up, and reduce the high speed wobbles. I lived on the perfect gun hill. Terminal velocity was around 35 mph. Stay tucked and stand up to slow yourself. I know first hand what happens when you get the wobbles at 30+ mph. Serious road rash resulting from a superman pavement slide. We'd sit at the bottom and thumb a ride back up:)
I had a Steve Alba board similar the the Santa Cruz boards. I gave it away when I was in my early twenty's. All the skateparks had closed due to lawsuit's, and I had grown a foot taller. I figured I'd never use it again, so I gave it to some kid who probably broke some bones with too.
It's not overhead to me!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
very nice pics, wd/td

Aloha eastbound,
I gotta look for my stash of Thrasher mags...;-)

This Surfer Mag from July, 1974 (One Dollar) had a profile article on "The Rubberman" Larry Bertlemann that was very influential in my surfing style development which has undeniably extended itself into my SUP surfing...never been into the "Egyptian Statue" thing as a result I guess...YMMV...
I definitely wasn't alone in being influenced as the longboard era came to a close...LB didn't invent the shortboard...but, he pretty much invented shortboard surfing...;-)

Surfer Mag #29 on "The 50 Greatest Surfers Of All Time" list...

https://www.surfer.com/features/number_29_larry_bertlemann/

http://www.larrybertlemann.info/bio/

Z-Boy Jay Adams (RIP)...

https://youtu.be/mlszJWuYTMQ

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal