Author Topic: A hazard to all around him  (Read 6005 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: A hazard to all around him
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 08:51:32 PM »
Black eye, I write almost everything I post twice lol.

I hadn't thought of weird lift effects from the mast but it has to have some effect when you consider it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 10:31:33 PM »

2) Your newbieness - you know, that tense, shaky, jerkiness that we all get doing something new. The mast's AoA is probably all over the place as you yaw that board around. With all much due respect.

No respect necessary. My kookness at foil surfing is total and obvious to all, including me. I don't really think it's more difficult than surfing, but mistakes are more obvious and there's a terror component of being way up in the air with a brutal contraption under you.

I'm sure you're right about the mast, and that's pretty much what Alex was saying. there's a typo in my post, supposed to be "less mast drag, more wing effect". Alex was saying the more the mast is out of the water, the less it influences the glide--less drag, and less lift effects. When I'm taking off in a wave I frequently have quite a bit of angle to the wave because I'm too busy getting my feet in the right places to line up well. I can feel the mast both swinging the board and foil into position and shoving the board and foil sideways from AOA lift.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
A revelation to me in skiing was to always be on an edge. Is it the same in foiling? Always be, at the least, in a slight turn? Then the lateral lift wouldn't arbitrarily switch sides.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 09:19:38 PM »
Sort of. The first lessons are going straight. Learning to catch a wave (weight forward to keep the drag low) then letting the foil come up and pushing it down. If you get high up during this exercise the foil feels very unstable. Once you turn to run down the face of the wave the stability is greater.  I still need to return to the middle position but running along the face I can feel more lift on the wave side than the downhill side and I center with a little bias to counter that. I'm in the tottering stage so everything I do has a consequence.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 09:27:07 AM »
Sort of. The first lessons are going straight. Learning to catch a wave (weight forward to keep the drag low) then letting the foil come up and pushing it down. If you get high up during this exercise the foil feels very unstable. Once you turn to run down the face of the wave the stability is greater.  I still need to return to the middle position but running along the face I can feel more lift on the wave side than the downhill side and I center with a little bias to counter that. I'm in the tottering stage so everything I do has a consequence.
Ain't that the truth! ;D

Wrt going straight...at least on the mush balls we have at Sano much of the time, I've found that it's almost a requirement that while learning that I get the board pointed for a run down the face...or much like riding a bike, I don't have enough speed to stay somewhat balanced, and the "tip over" factor is magnified greatly going straight.

Either that, or I end up riding the wave straight down to the bottom by the time I get my feet in all of the right places, and run out of the necessary speed to get the foil lifting...so then it's the "monkey humping a football on a skateboard" look as I frantically paddle while trying to "Huntington Hop' the dang thing up to speed to get it flying as I've seen others able do. Which for the record is much harder than it looks, and I've never been able to accomplish quite of yet.  :(
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 03:00:58 PM »
Almost got Boyum today. I'm five for five--five days, five near samurai road pizzas. It was the usual, Bill was going for the same wave I was (he was on another friends foilboard), we were well separated. He was paddling for the shoulder, I was in the whitewater. The extra push of the whitewater popped me right up while I was still trying to get into position. I turned hard toward Bill, who was still going hard for the wave. The expression on his face read "Oh shit, so this is how I'm gonna die." and he bailed off the back. I did pretty much a complete 360 turn in the air, out of the wave and back into wave-catching position, astoundingly without falling. I caught the next wave and escaped before he could pummel me with his paddle.

I got a few really good waves, felt almost in control a couple of times. The arch and stomp pad I put over the mast is helping me get my back foot in position, which helps me get up and flying more easily. I went right and left, flew for a few hundred feet and got back up several times, and almost did a recognizable pump. I can't imagine what I look like pumping. No one looks good doing it but I presume my herky movement looks like an oversexed moose doing air humping. Or something equally unpleasant.

The kook stage for this new sport is not only long, it's undeniably obvious.

This is from yesterday. I included it as evidence of how much fun I'm having as evidenced by the silly grin on my face:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:26:18 PM by PonoBill »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 06:37:49 PM »
Either that, or I end up riding the wave straight down to the bottom by the time I get my feet in all of the right places, and run out of the necessary speed to get the foil lifting...so then it's the "monkey humping a football on a skateboard" look as I frantically paddle while trying to "Huntington Hop' the dang thing up to speed to get it flying as I've seen others able do. Which for the record is much harder than it looks, and I've never been able to accomplish quite of yet.  :(

How many days in are you?
  I don't want to bust people's stones but give it 10 sessions and things start coming together. 

The kook stage for this new sport is not only long, it's undeniably obvious.
This is from yesterday. I included it as evidence of how much fun I'm having as evidenced by the silly grin on my face:

Pono - You're going to scare people with these comments.  Are you seriously foiling and filming at the same time?  That's a pretty good combination all in your first month. 

Keep the stories coming. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:40:13 PM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 06:43:33 PM »
No, that picture was shot by Victoria Leo with her point and shoot. She's a brave lady to be that close to Mr. Hazard.

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 07:52:33 AM »
I thinks its lateral lift off the mast. All the facts fit.

Also, its not how high you are but how much of the mast is in the water. The twitch is presumably unpredictable or maybe oscillating.

It must come from:
1) Mast twisting back and forth.
2) Your newbieness - you know, that tense, shaky, jerkiness that we all get doing something new. The mast's AoA is probably all over the place as you yaw that board around. With all much due respect.
3) Water turbulence.
4) All of the above.

I also think this explains Beasho's phenomena of increased lift in a turn. The mast, while banked, is adding lift vectors pointing up.

Just guessing.

I spent about an hour on this post's predecessor, which was lost due to my logon timing out. I came back with my thoughts in order and got to the point. Much better. I should do that all the time, eh?

I think the added lift in a turn is due to the fact that you're going downhill which increases speed=lift.  You watch guys aggressively turning, pitch control with the front leg to keep it level as the foil wants to come up in a turn.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal