Author Topic: Foil Kit  (Read 13885 times)

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Foil Kit
« on: February 17, 2018, 07:45:45 AM »
Well, I broke down and bought one of those Clearwater kits. Only the foils have been completed at this time and they are mounted to a King mast and fuselage. I added a Tuttle box, mast track and foot straps to an old beat up SB Hero. This will be my beginning Wind-foil board and expect it to get beat up pretty quickly. I should hope to be in the water this week and post how it goes.....fingers crossed.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Foil Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 07:47:07 AM »
Starboard Hero

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:06:02 AM »
The finishing and install look amazing. Is that the Superwing from Clearwater?
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 10:06:08 AM »
Nice job man. I opted out for that for surf but I'll bet it's perfect for windsurfers and kite surfing.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 04:36:39 AM »
Thanks :) Yes, that is the the Superwing and I hope it has enough lift for this 215 lb'r

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:05:21 AM »
Thanks! Seeing stuff like this is getting me stoked to try something.
Be safe, have fun. -J

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 06:33:52 PM »
Here is the mast and fuselage almost completed. I must say, his shaping of the wood was excellent...hmm maybe CNC'd.  Weighs 4.5 lbs
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:47:05 PM by windwakerider »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 07:01:06 PM »
You might want to add some anhedral tips to that wing. They don't need to be smoothly curved, you could just do a sharp angle like the new Naish foils use. Your gonna need some more square inches anyway. The foil on the clearwater kits is pretty conservative. I haven't measured the superwing, but it looks pretty dinky compared to the M200 or even the Iwa, both of which work well for me at 235. Maybe get the guy to sell you a spare wing and enlarge it.

Flat wings are more stable, but don't turn very well. I tried the flat Maliko and didn't like it at all. Efficient, and stable, but I have a tough enough time controlling my turns.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »
Thanks Bill, I'll have to look at his new foil closer. The super wing is 34" with a wide point of 7.8" It might just be used on the lake during our summer doldrums.

'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 10:27:15 PM »
If you want to calculate lift you need square inches or cm. You can use graph paper, trace the wing and count squares, averaging for partials. The formula is basically surface area times foil coefficient times velocity squared = lift. Of course, you need to make the units work. The formula is much simpler in water instead of air, because air is compressible and at higher velocities "stacks" at the leading edge of a foil. At our low velocity and in water the complex formula for all that winds up being about 1. So yea!
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 05:17:39 AM »
I threw all the formulas in a spreadsheet so I could play with the numbers:
-The main formula for lift
-A calculator for wing area based on halfspan, root, and tip that converts from design units (inches) to formula units (square feet) and the equivalent in square centimeters

My guess is that the Superwing is somewhere around 1.61 sqft or 1496 sqcm based on a free halfspan of 16.5", root of 7.8" and tip of 6.25"

PS: One would still need velocity and coefficient of lift to finish the formula

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:20:35 AM by jrandy »
Be safe, have fun. -J

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 05:35:06 AM »
Thanks  :)

Surfside

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 06:55:07 AM »
Well, it does work ....
I went out in really light side, side on wind in knee+ surf. This old Koncept hadn't seen light in years and after the outing, it never will again. I could not get it on plane on the way out ( lack of skill) but when I came in, waves assisted me and she flew. Unfortunately, I took it in too far and hit a sandbar.
Now, I built this to learn to foil and take that to SUP before putting out some real money. I really enjoyed building these but, an IWA and 200 will be mine soon :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:59:57 AM by windwakerider »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal