Author Topic: PowerBI Big-Wave, Foil and SUP Data  (Read 1746 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
PowerBI Big-Wave, Foil and SUP Data
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:24:13 AM »
To Improve Something You Must First Measure It.

Some people dread measuring I love it.  What could be more appropriate on Valentines than to talk about love.  In this case LOVE OF DATA.

I was recently publish by PowerPivotPro.com.  These guys train Microsoft on the latest Microsoft Business Intelligence solutions.  Rob Collie, Kellan Danielson and company are the best on the planet and I have become friendly with them over the past 4 years. 

I proposed writing on article on some of the big data wrangling I was doing and they said

"Hey what about that surf Model?  That looks pretty cool"

You heard it here first :)

https://powerpivotpro.com/2018/02/power-bi-used-for-surfing-fun/#comment-285793
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:15:01 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: PowerBI and Big-Wave SUP Data
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 06:37:44 AM »
If you click through the link, the graphic at the bottom (looks like the picture below) is interactive. 

Power BI is fantastic and 'free' if you already own Microsoft Office Suite.  You can sling solutions back and forth, but as soon as you want to 'publish' to the web they require ~ $10 per user per month to share within your Windows Office domain.

The model at the bottom of this page (You must click through the link) is dynamic aka you can click on the waves and it shows individual wave profiles.  Pretty cool.  I'll have to see how the wizards got this to work on a website.

https://powerpivotpro.com/2018/02/power-bi-used-for-surfing-fun/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:45:15 AM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: PowerBI Big-Wave, Foil and SUP Data
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 08:54:12 AM »
Very cool. I like the interface.

When Microsoft first formed their business intelligence team we did their marketing. They didn't really have a product, just a lot of ideas and backend integration of Excel to SQLServer. We did one of the most successful direct mail/web campaigns we, or probably any other marketing firm ever did. Stupendous response and results--and nothing to sell to the prospects.

No way for you to know this, but you could have hit me up to write a program to parse out your GPX data. One of the things I had to get good at was ripping apart data files to parse them into formats I wanted.  Customer data files in the direct marketing world came on nine-track tape in all kinds of silly formats, created back when data storage was expensive and every bit mattered. I've written thousands of AWK, C and Pascal programs and stubs to rip them apart and put them into useful formats, first as dBase files, later as SQL. GPX files are straightforward and consistent. Easy money compared to things like print image or proprietary delimiter files.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:14:34 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:55:19 PM »
Beasho, very impressive data presentation.... nothing I understood in the middle, but I like the end product!
Cool that somebody is taking this on.... it's all relevant to pushing forward.

Surviving "Wipeout of the year? Priceless"  :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:31:07 PM »
Great article man. I obsess about my work as well. Advising someone and finding that special thing that changes everything is really satisfying. But knowing what data to look for and how to find it is key no matter what the industry or area.

I geek out on my client's media, where it is, what it is, how much, and then what do we do with it. Data and a good toolset is so powerful in the right hands.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal