Author Topic: redesign the flat deck into dugout?  (Read 12963 times)

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
redesign the flat deck into dugout?
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:08:21 AM »
Any comments if would work (volume/design/overall performance wise) if I would get used flat deck all-rounder (exp.404 V3, boga typhoon), cut/open top whole length and adding nose volume, side walls and adding tail volume by closing it (like One SUP EVO pro or Infinity downtown dug out) to create dug out all-rounder. Off course with some drain holes.
Reason: this way I would avoid making new rocker and bottom design, due to lack of knowledge. 

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: redesign the flat deck into dugout?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:47:07 AM »
To be clear, you are saying take a board like pictured below and convert it to a sunken deck.
When I hear 'all around' I think old school longboard shape...
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:08:37 AM »
U r correct... something like this.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:19:01 AM »
How are your glassing skills, tools and work space? That's a lot of board and a very complex shape to glass with the dugout.

Are you not near a CNC? I'd say it'd be easier to start fresh from a cut blank if you can. Reshapes are hard work in my experience. Personally, I'll never do one again. I can build from scratch faster and easier myself. Same price too once you buy the donor and supplies in most cases I'd bet.

You sure you don't want a nice 6'0" shortboard? ;)

But as is the way of the shape shack, good luck and post pics. We will be with you all the way if you take it on.

Tall Dude, you wanna speak to this one? I've never tackled a board this big.

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:24:54 AM »
  If you know how to glass the hardest part will probably be shaping. Keeping the standing area level and symmetrical is harder than it sounds.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 06:28:10 AM »
don't waste your time it will cost far more and look twice as bad as if you start from scratch. If you can get a cnc blank cut and if not you can get the rocker and out line cut very accurately just using some templates. The hardest part is the glassing so if you are fine with that you shouldn't have to many problems

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
My buddy dug out his custom Hovie board and it worked amazing, but that's only because it was excessively thick to begin with, and he didn't have to add any additional volume to the rails or nose.

Some others in my area have dug two miniature wells, just the size of each foot, where they normally stand. No drain holes or anything since it's such a small volume it doesn't really matter if they fill with water. It looks wacky but it supposedly works great, as long as you don't need to stand in an offset stance or something. Worth a try if you don't care about butchering the board.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 06:13:59 AM »
OK. 1st step... board purchased. It's 2015 Boga Typhoon Team 14x25,5. The board is 'well used' and took me 2h to repair the dings so butchering it wont hurt so much.
I also did 100km this week with it and I like the glide and its pretty quick considering its width and plenty of stability for any chop:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2655477835
Step 2: So, I talk to a guy who will do the reshape and plan is to cut open the whole top side with knife na than cut foam with hot wire for accuracy of standing area. Than adding drainage tubes.  After, adding new nose and tail volume and side walls.  Finally glassing.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 07:32:55 AM »
Do it. Resurrecting an older, less appealing board is great for the environment and expands your design knowledge. A little personal R & D is educational and rewarding. I just picked up an old unlimited that had a blown out rail from being left in the sun. Someone did a fugly bad repair on it, so no one had paddled it for the past few years. I rescued it, and it's going to get a full makeover. I'm going to do a nose job, a little liposuction, and tighten up the tail. Then a full body spray, for a brand new look. She's going to be sexier than ever, and I'll be excited to go paddling on my newly upgraded rocket ship:)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 02:14:23 AM »
Ok, I decided to redesign the board to keep my feet dry in the winter in Alp’s lake. It’s quite fast and very stable board and not just well used, but more like abused and needs repair anyway. The only issue I have is how to design the water drainage. These are the options I thought of:
1.   Top drawing – deck design similar to 2018 SB sprint or 2018 whiplash (infinity) whereas first half of the deck is somewhat horizontal to the waterline and second half inclined to the top of the rail. Drain holes are placed at the sides of the first half of the deck (arrow with w). I paddled both these board yesterday and the water came to the standing are when leaning to the side making my feet wet.
2.   Mid drawing – deck similar to 2017 SB sprint whereas the whole length of the deck is tilted toward tail allowing water to drain at the tail. I would add would at the tail leaving 1cm in between for the whole width of the tail allowing water drainage, but also stop behind wave to get into the deck. The mail concern with this design is to have enough decline toward the tail and not get tail to thin (second pic – w line) between bottom and deck
3.   Bottom drawing – deck design similar to 2018 downtown (infinity) somehow deck horizontal to the waterline with tail closing with drain holes on the sides.
4.   Not at the picture – similar to no.2- without added tail volume – just opened tail with high rails.
Any thoughts?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 05:52:35 AM »
You definitely want the water to be able to drain out the back if you are going to be taking this anywhere near rough water. If you are in an Ace for instance, and you get flooding over the nose and into the deck, it can take a couple of minutes at least to drain, during which time you are stationary, standing in a bird bath. A real big flush stops you dead in your tracks and causes instability.  But if the water can flow out of the back it clears much quicker, especially if you keep paddling. The Mistral Equinox was based on the Ace design but addressed this issue and it made a huge difference if you are a coastal paddler.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 06:04:57 AM »
It's totally impractical, so of course you should do it. If there are any OC's in your area take a look at their bailing system. They use a little NACA style duct to suck the water out. Draining out the back is a good idea as well though obviously it limits how deep your dugout can be. Non-draining footwells is a bad idea--not only are your feet trapped in a single position but even "low" volume is at least a few liters per well. Probably ten pounds per well. Not the fifty pounds of a filled Ace, but still plenty.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 06:17:10 AM »
Have fun with your dugout project, but look forward instead to having fun with it in summer and autumn.

Your dugout will end up with water in it. Especially without high sidewalls. No matter how effective at getting water out your drains are your feet will be wet every now and again.

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 08:24:20 AM »
Certainly minimizing the cut out areas make sense, but remember any of the deck areas you cut away weakens the standing area re. flex. The high sides on the production dugout boards are there for stiffening things. Perhaps consider stiffening strips on the top side of the rails.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 08:41:07 AM »
Yeah because of the rocker etc it looks like you will limited on doing a full open rear flush Sprint design.  The 1cm entire tail width is an interesting concept.  Will be interesting to see what you come up with.  But would make sure the standing area is beefed up enough to take the loads static and dynamic.  No doubt impractical but you will probs learn a lot.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal