Author Topic: redesign the flat deck into dugout?  (Read 407 times)

GlideMarko

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
redesign the flat deck into dugout?
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:08:21 AM »
Any comments if would work (volume/design/overall performance wise) if I would get used flat deck all-rounder (exp.404 V3, boga typhoon), cut/open top whole length and adding nose volume, side walls and adding tail volume by closing it (like One SUP EVO pro or Infinity downtown dug out) to create dug out all-rounder. Off course with some drain holes.
Reason: this way I would avoid making new rocker and bottom design, due to lack of knowledge. 

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: redesign the flat deck into dugout?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 04:47:07 AM »
To be clear, you are saying take a board like pictured below and convert it to a sunken deck.
When I hear 'all around' I think old school longboard shape...
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

GlideMarko

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:08:37 AM »
U r correct... something like this.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:19:01 AM »
How are your glassing skills, tools and work space? That's a lot of board and a very complex shape to glass with the dugout.

Are you not near a CNC? I'd say it'd be easier to start fresh from a cut blank if you can. Reshapes are hard work in my experience. Personally, I'll never do one again. I can build from scratch faster and easier myself. Same price too once you buy the donor and supplies in most cases I'd bet.

You sure you don't want a nice 6'0" shortboard? ;)

But as is the way of the shape shack, good luck and post pics. We will be with you all the way if you take it on.

Tall Dude, you wanna speak to this one? I've never tackled a board this big.

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:24:54 AM »
  If you know how to glass the hardest part will probably be shaping. Keeping the standing area level and symmetrical is harder than it sounds.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 06:28:10 AM »
don't waste your time it will cost far more and look twice as bad as if you start from scratch. If you can get a cnc blank cut and if not you can get the rocker and out line cut very accurately just using some templates. The hardest part is the glassing so if you are fine with that you shouldn't have to many problems

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 09:02:21 AM »
My buddy dug out his custom Hovie board and it worked amazing, but that's only because it was excessively thick to begin with, and he didn't have to add any additional volume to the rails or nose.

Some others in my area have dug two miniature wells, just the size of each foot, where they normally stand. No drain holes or anything since it's such a small volume it doesn't really matter if they fill with water. It looks wacky but it supposedly works great, as long as you don't need to stand in an offset stance or something. Worth a try if you don't care about butchering the board.
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff