Author Topic: Video Assist with Technique - SUP Surf Foot Placement  (Read 15282 times)

supthecreek

Re: Video Assist with Technique - SUP Surf Foot Placement
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 04:59:55 AM »
Nice surfinJ.... wild camera gyrations, but it did a great job of showing your foot placement on your longboard..... you really have to be back on the stomper and rail to throw a 10'r around.

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 06:10:15 PM »
I get that it is good to have that back foot over the stomp pad but I dont get how to make that happen well except in steep waves..on my JL stungun 8'7 if i go back on th stomp pad i feel like i stall out...
is it a matter of a really wide stance ?

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 07:06:56 PM »
Toolate - yeah, so while some of it is wave-dependent, a lot of times it's more knowing when you can step all the way back as your progress down the wave. I wish I had better video/pictures, but here's a quick breakdown:

Catching the wave:
When I'm paddling for the wave, I'm in a staggered surf stance always in my goofy setup, front to back, my feet are generally pretty close to the handle (middle of the board).

Caught the wave:
Sometimes I have to lean forward a bit to get going on weaker waves, but ideally, as I start going down the face of the wave, I hop my back foot back to the stomp and slide my front foot more inline with the center.

Riding the wave:
I find with SUP more so than traditional longboarding and kiteboarding with a surfboard that you are constantly moving your feet around, so it may be that I come down, make a bottom turn, come up the face and make a cutback, then move forward on the board again to gain speed going back down the wave.

Play with it, make sure to not move back on the board before you have fully caught the wave or you will stall out. Video of yourself helps immensely.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 04:29:31 AM »
I get that it is good to have that back foot over the stomp pad but I dont get how to make that happen well except in steep waves..on my JL stungun 8'7 if i go back on th stomp pad i feel like i stall out...

The Stun Gun is designed for fast steep waves that have some juice to them. You need a good amount of speed going to get back on the tail.

It's a slow board in mushy waves but comes alive when it's overhead and barreling. It's just the nature of the shape.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:46:02 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 06:22:14 AM »

The Stun Gun is designed for fast steep waves that have some juice to them. You need a good amount of speed going to get back on the tail.

It's a slow board in mushy waves but comes alive when it's overhead and barreling. It's just the nature of the shape.

You might try running quad fins on the Stun Gun if you aren't already. That should help give it a bit more speed.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 11:28:44 PM »

Thanks Badger! I have only this board at present other than an old starboard 10 and half footer. Overhead and higher it really shines but sadly most of my surf is chest high or less

toolate

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 01:57:09 PM »
thanks to all the posters here; main takeaway is move, try new foot stances, go for it! I did that last 2 sessions and the board came alive even though the waves were only 2-4

supsean

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »
These 2 videos has helped me recently with foot position and timing, as I also have been having trouble getting back and not stalling.  I just found them very concise and clear examples that were easy to translate to Long Island waves.  The first is a Fanatic Allwave video with Airton Cozzolino, who is a pretty aggressive surfer. He is on an Allwave, which is a large, floaty surfboard for his ability (he rides a Prowave that is much smaller) . And he is also on small lumpy waves. It clearly shows how far he stretches back to get on that "stomper".  At 1 minute 35 seconds, it shows him gliding down a wave, and then when he turns, he steps back to give it the turn. Also, check out his video with the Stylemaster, which is their longboard. At second 11, it really shows him hopping back to give the longboard a turn. And at 15 has a really sharp turn.

Fanatic Allwave  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zOoJbOs0w
Fanatic Stylemaster  https://www.fanatic.com/product/stylemaster-bamboo-edition/

I own a 2016 Allwave Pure, but have no affiliation (if you saw my surfing you would see that)
Fanatic Allwave 8'9"
Sunova Steeze 8'10"
Kenalu Ho'oloa

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 08:53:44 AM »
progression project/blue zone's chase drilled this into me in CR--and the video review made it so obvious---such simple tweaks if one focuses, and immediately one can feel the improved result:

front foot shd always be centered, back foot moves rail to rail/forward/backward. try to be on or near the stomp with back foot as much as possible, keep stance wide (front to back) so can shift weight significantly between front or back foot

frankly the wide "laird" stance feels a bit awkward, but it's right--especially on my barra, where if i am surfing well, back foot is always near or on the stomp when on the wave, and frt foot stays centered and solid
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 10:03:56 AM »
Yeah, so I finally got my Soloshot to work and it's a great tool for improving. I had a nice 3 hour session (SS3 I used for the middle hour, didn't want to push my luck with running any longer than that), and I'm still struggling to get my back foot to the stomp even on my 7'6" board. It seems like I slide back as I catch the wave, but not far enough back and then all of my turns are soft. Any tips/practice techniques to consistently get back?

It seems like I get all the way back maybe 2 waves out of 20 and then the board comes alive, I have no idea why I'm not more consistent, other than blaming small waves/lack of power.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 10:20:59 AM »
quite funny--your process very similar to mine, only it was the blue zone video that showed me what seemed so obviously obvious once i saw and it was explained

chase kept it simple (which is good--too much to think about and you fail):

front foot centered, well forward, on stringer, relatively fixed/solid.

back foot side to side, a little front/back, hopefully on stomp.

im working on this, and it clearly works................when i get it right

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »
I sort of slide or wiggle my back foot back as I start down the face of the wave. It happens in the transition from weight forward to back. I would say I still have most of my weight forward as I'm wiggling my back foot back. I'll take off and my a quick turn on the face of the wave, see how my back foot placement feels, then wiggle it back further if needed. Once I have it set, then I turn harder. Sometimes I nail it first time. Other times the wave is too slopey and I need to move my back foot forward to maintain speed and just make slower long carving turns. With longer boards you have to move more...
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »
Yeah, so here's a quick edit, always looks better in your head then in real life, right?

So - clear issues right off the bat:

1. Not coming straight down the face of the wave, rounding turns off.
2. Not bending knees enough, expanding/contracting, etc.
3. Not far enough back on the board (weak turns).

The only thing that has improved is that I do keep my front foot in the middle of the stringer which definitely helps a lot.

Everything needs work, hopefully the SS3 will keep working so I can evaluate as I go.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:00:59 AM by APPST_Paddle »
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer

oakfish

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2018, 07:24:33 AM »
APPST...in your original post, was that 2nd picture taken south of the Folly pier?  I think we surfed together there a few weeks ago.  There were 4 paddlesurfers out and we were all commenting about how rare it was to have the break to ourselves (maybe a Sunday morning?).
I usually a surf a few streets north, but I'll keep an eye out for you next time I'm at the pier.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal