Author Topic: Video Assist with Technique - SUP Surf Foot Placement  (Read 2372 times)

supthecreek

• Cortez Bank Status
  • goes primal
    • View Profile
Re: Video Assist with Technique - SUP Surf Foot Placement
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 04:59:55 AM »
Nice surfinJ.... wild camera gyrations, but it did a great job of showing your foot placement on your longboard..... you really have to be back on the stomper and rail to throw a 10'r around.
SUP & primal.... a good beginning
Sunova is a Zone sponsor and I am their spokesman.

My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHRI23a8H21jASPdVCQUpog

Sunova Website:
https://sunovasurfboards.com/

Creek model:
http://www.sunovasurfboards.com/en/sup/sup-surfing/creek-a-legend-board

toolate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 06:10:15 PM »
I get that it is good to have that back foot over the stomp pad but I dont get how to make that happen well except in steep waves..on my JL stungun 8'7 if i go back on th stomp pad i feel like i stall out...
is it a matter of a really wide stance ?

APPST_Paddle

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 07:06:56 PM »
Toolate - yeah, so while some of it is wave-dependent, a lot of times it's more knowing when you can step all the way back as your progress down the wave. I wish I had better video/pictures, but here's a quick breakdown:

Catching the wave:
When I'm paddling for the wave, I'm in a staggered surf stance always in my goofy setup, front to back, my feet are generally pretty close to the handle (middle of the board).

Caught the wave:
Sometimes I have to lean forward a bit to get going on weaker waves, but ideally, as I start going down the face of the wave, I hop my back foot back to the stomp and slide my front foot more inline with the center.

Riding the wave:
I find with SUP more so than traditional longboarding and kiteboarding with a surfboard that you are constantly moving your feet around, so it may be that I come down, make a bottom turn, come up the face and make a cutback, then move forward on the board again to gain speed going back down the wave.

Play with it, make sure to not move back on the board before you have fully caught the wave or you will stall out. Video of yourself helps immensely.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'8" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Hippostick Al Pro 7.5

Badger

• Teahupoo Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 04:29:31 AM »
I get that it is good to have that back foot over the stomp pad but I dont get how to make that happen well except in steep waves..on my JL stungun 8'7 if i go back on th stomp pad i feel like i stall out...

The Stun Gun is designed for fast steep waves that have some juice to them. You need a good amount of speed going to get back on the tail.

It's a slow board in mushy waves but comes alive when it's overhead and barreling. It's just the nature of the shape.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:46:02 AM by Badger »
Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 7'6 x 31" 115L
Sunova Flow 8'10 X 31" 119L (Low volume version)
Jimmy Lewis M-12'6" X 28" 237L
6'0"
170lbs
60yo

Badger

• Teahupoo Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 06:22:14 AM »

The Stun Gun is designed for fast steep waves that have some juice to them. You need a good amount of speed going to get back on the tail.

It's a slow board in mushy waves but comes alive when it's overhead and barreling. It's just the nature of the shape.

You might try running quad fins on the Stun Gun if you aren't already. That should help give it a bit more speed.

Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 7'6 x 31" 115L
Sunova Flow 8'10 X 31" 119L (Low volume version)
Jimmy Lewis M-12'6" X 28" 237L
6'0"
170lbs
60yo

toolate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 11:28:44 PM »

Thanks Badger! I have only this board at present other than an old starboard 10 and half footer. Overhead and higher it really shines but sadly most of my surf is chest high or less

toolate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 01:57:09 PM »
thanks to all the posters here; main takeaway is move, try new foot stances, go for it! I did that last 2 sessions and the board came alive even though the waves were only 2-4