Author Topic: The history of SUP according to the ICF  (Read 24547 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The history of SUP according to the ICF
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 07:31:24 AM »
If you were to describe the history of SUP in one sentence, would your sentence look like theirs?

I'm wondering if you ever engaged your buddy Steve West on the matter?

I remember he had a lot to say about that few years back and went through
length to prove a point without scurrying around the surf aspect.

Would be very interesting to know where he stands on that these days.
in progress...

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 07:48:24 AM »
If you were to describe the history of SUP in one sentence, would your sentence look like theirs?

SUP isn't really SUC.
 8)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:55:25 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 08:56:39 AM »
I don't think anyone can honestly say were stand up paddling started, I've seen very old pics and illustrations from all over the world showing it, or forms of it, being used for transportation, moving product, and fishing.  It's almost like "in which country was walking invented?".
I've posted this pic before, it's from Mexico, don't know how old it is, probably not very old, but it goes to my point.
It takes a quiver to do that.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »
Could be interesting. Paddle-biathalon..... You paddle up a river with class 1 rapids, and stop along the way to shoot at targets. If they did a white water SUP that was similar format to the kayak competitions, that could be entertaining. I know they've already done this to a certain extent, but I haven't seen it first hand myself. I remember all the Olympic test trails they did in a reservoir in San Diego years ago. Jimmy Terrell was involve in that. 1000 meter sprints and such. I heard it was part of what the testing the Olympic committee needed for it to fit into a format that could be precisely judged.

See Jimmy had it figured out along time ago  ;D

https://youtu.be/ImTSgKYHQtU

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:22:47 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 10:58:18 AM »
Beachboy surfing = standup paddling = standup paddleboarding = standup paddlesurfing = SUP...etc...etc...

I liked the old school  "beachboy surfing" name before the "SUP" acronym took flight...as that's where my influence came from...but, these days it doesn't much matter...at least the prone haters aren't calling us "gondola boys" anymore...;-)

www.beachboysurfing.com

www.standuppaddling.com

www.standuppaddleboarding.com

www.standuppaddlesurfing.com
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
I don't think anyone can honestly say were stand up paddling started, I've seen very old pics and illustrations from all over the world showing it, or forms of it, being used for transportation, moving product, and fishing.  It's almost like "in which country was walking invented?".

Indeed. I've posted this before as well. Maybe that's what the ICF meant when trying to prove their point. Impressive as it is, does not prove a thing.
in progress...

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »
Beachboy surfing = standup paddling = standup paddleboarding = standup paddlesurfing = SUP...etc...etc...

I liked the old school  "beachboy surfing" name before the "SUP" acronym took flight...as that's where my influence came from...but, these days it doesn't much matter...at least the prone haters aren't calling us "gondola boys" anymore...;-)

www.beachboysurfing.com

www.standuppaddling.com

"Beachboy surfing" doesn't work very well if applied to flatwater paddling, but on the other hand, it's sure better than "technical paddling".

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »
I knew it, Africa is were it all started  8)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 12:44:11 PM »

www.beachboysurfing.com

www.standuppaddling.com

"Beachboy surfing" doesn't work very well if applied to flatwater paddling, but on the other hand, it's sure better than "technical paddling".

Too bad Duke Kahanamoku...5 time Olympic medal holder (3 golds...2 silvers)...isn't around to lobby for "Hoe he'e nalu"...you know, "technical paddling" in Hawaiian...;-)

https://youtu.be/wwvYNW07q0A
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »

www.beachboysurfing.com

www.standuppaddling.com

Too bad Duke Kahanamoku...5 time Olympic medal holder (3 golds...2 silvers)...isn't around to lobby for "Hoe he'e nalu"...you know, "technical paddling" in Hawaiian...;-)

https://youtu.be/wwvYNW07q0A
Actually that's pretty good...references the Hawaiian and surf background, but works for non-surf (flatwater, etc.) paddling as well.  At least among people I know who paddle here, even the ones (the majority here) who don't surf still have surfing imagery in their heads when the 12" high boat wakes hit on the Willamette.  Nobody here imagines themselves canoeing.  Nobody wears canoe gear from canoe companies.  Nobody flashes canoe hand signals in photos.  Plus I've never liked "SUP".

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 01:28:22 PM »
^ "canoe hand signals"   ;D 
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 01:32:14 PM »
Pointless pissing match of politics and commoditization... runs completely counter to everything that draws me, I'd venture to guess most to the ocean and playing in/on it. Anyone trying to own this is some combination of comedic and annoying.

It is a completely natural, inevitable progression for anyone with a paddle in hand and watercraft to try it standing up.  I'd be certain that this has happened in complete isolation countless times in many eras and cultures all over the world.

All that said- the current iteration/phenomenon we call SUP had all known influence on those doing it from Hawaiian/Polynesian watersport.

But you know..... ok, great, now what?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 02:01:37 PM »
Love the picture of the newer generation Asmat men paddling in their Quicksilver board shorts. I guess if the SUP or SUC Olympian's wore board shorts, it might be cooler to watch. Van Heusen sun glasses are a must as well.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 09:56:11 PM »
If you google "SUP canoe racing", which is what the ICF calls standup racing in its race rulebook, you get 9 results, 6 of which you can throw out because they're just lists of words that happen to be in that order (i.e. SUP, canoe racing).  That leaves 3 results, and they're all from the ICF.

If you google "SUP racing", you get 69,100 results.

So nobody on earth outside the ICF even calls the sport what the ICF calls it.  In fact, not even the ICF calls it that outside its own rulebook. 

So the ICF is a group that wants to govern a sport whose name it can't get right.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 02:31:56 AM »
I think we should let the ICF run SUP Canoe Racing while the rest of us abandon the sport and take up Beachboy Surfing. :D

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal