Author Topic: Learning to Foil: The Kai, Maliko, Iwa and Maliko 200 Foils with Video  (Read 11017 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to Foil: The Kai, Maliko, Iwa and Maliko 200 Foils with Video
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 06:10:38 AM »
Yep, what Off-Shore said. Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
PS:  The day I broke my foil board I was trying to sneak into some 'feathering' waves at Mavericks. 

The experience cooled my jets on big-wave foiling (for the moment) because its simply hard to get into the waves.  I was going back and forth with Piros, the debate being MAYBE with a bigger foil you can pop in early and then scoot down the line.  He suggested there is NOT enough top end on the big foils aka they will not go fast enough or be WAY overpowered with too much lift.

Time will tell.

Here was a snapshot from the Mavericks cam the day I was trying to foil the shoulder.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:48 AM »
Had a good session in the harbor on my Maliko 200. . . . I'm still mostly going straight, but I'm getting comfortable flying the foil.

Going straight usually leads to stalling the foil in the flats.  I suspect you must be going down the line 'straight' if you are getting some distance.

When learning we all hunch over, then are told to stand up straight and square the shoulders. . . . All True.

However I have found that when going for a turn crouching down and even using your paddle on the surface helps slingshot you through the arc.  Really fun.  Give it a try.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 03:34:05 PM »

Today was mostly lifting onto the foil and then pushing the nose down. I'm staying in the wave by lifting a little when I have good push. which slows the board, and then shoving the nose down to stay in the wave. I'm doing that a lot. Bill (headmount) told me I wasn't lifting off at all, but really I'm just staying close to the surface. I can feel the foil release when I lift the nose and feel the acceleration when I push down. I turned across the face of the wave a few times today. It's crazy how fast the speed builds. My last good wave of the day I was angling fairly sharply (half intentional, half happy surprise) got the foil up about a foot over the water, stayed nicely in position, but just about when I hit Mach 1 I ran into a snowball and got tossed. Unfortunately, I fell back a little before ejecting, so the board shot me up and I hit the water amazingly hard. One of my friends said it sounded like a whale tail slap.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 08:21:41 AM »
Today was mostly lifting onto the foil and then pushing the nose down. I'm staying in the wave by lifting a little when I have good push. which slows the board, and then shoving the nose down to stay in the wave.

This was how I played it for many of my first sessions.  Better to fly low than flip and crash.  People used to say to me "Travis is sure flying well."  Ahhh so am I . . "Well I haven't really seen you fly I thought you were just riding like normal."

But same thing.  I was flying low.  As you get comfortable you slowly crab walk you front foot further back.  This skill will also be key in bigger surf.  You HAVE to plant your foot dead center and 6" to 10"further forward.  SURF down the face, get away from the energy and then crab your foot back to fly.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
Here is an example of a steep takeoff on an overhead wave in less than perfect conditions with the foil board.  GoFoil IWA.

Use Heavy Front Foot:

https://youtu.be/Dy7IgJL5fEY

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2018, 01:20:39 PM »
We were just talking about this in the Harbor today. Chris P, Kathy Shipman, and a guy I assume is Daily Bread photos (I should be better about introducing myself). They were talking about crrabbing the front foot around, that there's no way to lift it and put it somewhere else. I'm using a front strap so most of my pitch control comes from either moving my back foot or pushing my hips forward or back.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 04:33:28 PM »
They were talking about crabbing the front foot around, that there's no way to lift it and put it somewhere else.

Yes!  In this case I move my front foot by an INCH between being FRONT loaded on the drop and in the Balanced position for Control/Pumping by the end of the ride 250 yards later.

The orange elevated pad is 6" long with a 5" long raised bump.  If my foot is in front of the orange pad the board will barely fly.  The sweet spot is from the middle to front of the pad.  Conversely I can only put my foot (just) behind the orange pad if I am flying the Maliko 200 (e.g. Big Wing) on a nothing wave. 

The further backward the front foot moves the easier it is to pump the board but you lose the ability to quickly load the front wing and keep it in the water during a sudden drop down a face or trough.  I can only afford to tighten my stance on bigger wings in smaller waves or in cleaner more predictable conditions. 

Photo 1) I am rapidly accelerating.  Getting my feet into the perfect position is critical.  However I did NOT hit the sweet spot but then quickly shifted.  Otherwise I would have overloaded the RIGHT rail, unbalanced the wing and the board would have likely flown out of the water.

Photo 2) Front loaded with weight way, way forward.  In the video you will see the forward rails drag and smash the water.  This is a good indication I am NOT flying which would have significantly reduced drag, sped WAY up and likely resulted in an Over-Foil then into a crash.

Photo 3) At the end of the ride.  My feet are in comfortable pumping position.  Front foot only 1" further backward than in takeoff FULLY front loaded position. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:58:03 PM by Beasho »

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »
For steep waves, I've been planting my front foot on takeoff, but keeping the back foot a bit forward of the sweet spot.  It seems like I'm able to move the back foot much more easily at speed - not sure why.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 01:31:16 PM »
A few more firsts: My longest recorded flight: 554 yards on the GoFoil IWA

To do this required taking off outside the rocks on a Royal Flight, beneath crown rock, and then pulling back towards shore almost all the way to the beach launch.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:34:56 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 01:36:49 PM »
Here is what I call "Flying Mushrooms"

This is cutting between a further set of rocks to the south.  This cut is impossible to make on any other surfable craft unless the waves are huge and then you would want nothing to do with this spot.

Unedited for now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVjEnR9ovMY&t=1s

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 07:49:34 AM »
what are you doing to me, beasho--ive got much to learn with supsurfing, and have resisted the foil craze, but youre sucking me in---looks so fun

also great music choice on the maliko 200 vid

you are an early adopter animal--your breaking trail here is generous
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
what are you doing to me . . you are an early adopter animal--your breaking trail here is generous

New things to learn daily on the foil.  I have not successfully paddled back out to sea . . . yet.

I may need to lose 15 pounds or attempt to pump back out earlier on a wave while I still have energy.

Here was an attempt at a loop.  It will be a fantastic day when I can pull off a swirl with the GPS tracker.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
The latest.

Taking off 350 yards outside of Mushroom Rock at Mavericks.  The GPS shows the landscape with a sample view of what I am trying to takeoff on.  The main peak at Mavericks would be another 250 yards further out (West).

As you can see I am surfing with all my friends  8)

https://youtu.be/bugJJW5j6mI
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:20:52 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 06:08:17 PM »
Here's the picture.

I am standing on the shoulder, downwave of this breaking wave.  The camera is on my head ~ 6 feet off the water.  The peak is breaking the horizon and you can see the trough well below.  These A-frames heave up and then fade quickly but they can be 10 feet high and pretty HOT on takeoff. 

The trick is to just catch the shoulder and start flying.  If I can connect from this peak into the lagoon the ride should be 700+ yards.

This flight held at 20 mph for almost 10 seconds.  This is well above normal where you hit 20 on takeoff and then drop almost immediately.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:17:20 PM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal