Author Topic: Choosing a board from the quiver  (Read 4870 times)

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Choosing a board from the quiver
« on: February 09, 2018, 10:48:51 PM »
I was just wondering, for those of you with a quiver of surf SUPs, what factors help you decide which board to take out for a surf session?
Diolch / Cheers!

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing a board from the quiver
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 01:03:46 AM »
For me it's all about surf conditions.

If it's over chest high or choppy, I use my 8'10 Flow.

Smaller mushier waves, I go with the 7'6 Super Frank.

If it's clean but I want a little extra glide, I love surfing my M-12'6.

I'm looking for something around 10' x 31 for bigger/choppier days but can't find anything with low enough volume, ultimately under 130 liters. Maybe I'll have one custom made someday.

I have no interest in longboard shapes.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:18:04 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 03:33:19 AM »
Hi Badger,
Thank you for your reply to my question. With regards to using the 7'6 Super Frank in the smaller mushier waves, what's the reasoning behind your choice? Is it the greater manoeuvrability of the board and the ability to catch the waves later? Is the reduced glide of the shorter board less of an issue with those types of waves?

It'll also be interesting to hear your thoughts regarding your ideal longer surf sup for the bigger conditions. If you don't mind me asking, are you not interested in a traditional longboard sup because of the type of waves that you have or your ringing style? Are there any boards that come close to your requirements eg in the Sunova range, that could be tweaked to suit your needs as a custom?

SunovaBouy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 08:11:41 AM »
Hmmm..
I look at the local webcams, decide which Board to take then.
The only real defining criteria for choosing my Flow 8’7 is when it’s bigger and sucky, but then it take that out in small mush too.
So, no real preference, maybe I look at one and think “ohh ok, you today”

Yeah, probably about all I think about really...
 :D

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 05:39:11 PM »
Being the Sunova tester, I have a van that is usually filled with at least 14 boards.

I drive up, look at the conditions and one of the boards jumps out at me.
Each board has specific conditions that it excels in.

Juicy clean waves = lower liter performance shape

Juicy with wonk = more stable performance shape

Softer faces = flatter rocker, wider tail

Small clean waves = longboard shape

Winter wetsuit conditions = longer, wider, more volume performance or low power shape to match the conditions.

This winter, I headed south..... screw the wetsuits!
Totally awesome decision  ;D

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 06:02:17 PM »
I'd reply right in line with Creek: But i'll add boards in past and present  quiver I would use. - Note I dont own all these boards now-  :'(  Also Me 210lbs intermediate to advanced

Juicy clean waves = lower liter performance shape: 8'4 Focus Raw1 117L; 8'11 Infinity team Label (28.5 wide version) 119l

Juicy with wonk = more stable performance shape 9'1 Jimmy Lewis Super Tech 128L

Softer faces = flatter rocker, wider tail Liddell Aloha 120l,

Small clean waves = longboard shape 10'6 Sunova Style'  10'10 Isle Glider

Winter wetsuit conditions = longer, wider, more volume performance or low power shape to match the conditions.- Again 9'1 Super Tech 128L

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »
Yeah, I'm in line with Creek, your quiver is really a mix of your ability and conditions. It's really important I think to try new boards as much as possible, as the type/volume/shape of a SUP makes a big difference and certain boards are suited for certain waves.

So, here's mine:

Primary Board/Shortboard style-  (Clean waves, powerful waves, and generally anything over chest high regardless of conditions):
8'8" JL SuperTech

Longboard/Nose-Rider (For clean/slow, smaller waves, or if I just want to ride longboard style):
10'1" JL Black and Blue

Mushy, slow and short-period wind waves:
7'4" JP Surf Wide

7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 10:03:54 PM »
Hi Badger,
Thank you for your reply to my question. With regards to using the 7'6 Super Frank in the smaller mushier waves, what's the reasoning behind your choice? Is it the greater manoeuvrability of the board and the ability to catch the waves later? Is the reduced glide of the shorter board less of an issue with those types of waves?

It'll also be interesting to hear your thoughts regarding your ideal longer surf sup for the bigger conditions. If you don't mind me asking, are you not interested in a traditional longboard sup because of the type of waves that you have or your ringing style? Are there any boards that come close to your requirements eg in the Sunova range, that could be tweaked to suit your needs as a custom?

The Frank is a groveler. It's designed to get the most out of mushier conditions. Flatter rocker provides more speed on slower waves. Shorter length for maneuverability. It's a fun little board but it gets tougher to control as the waves get bigger.

The Flow is a great all around surf shape. It handles overhead surf well. The Flash is another Sunova model that I like.

I don't like longboard shapes simply because of the way they ride. Boards with parallel rails do not turn as easily as boards with curved rails. I prefer boards that can turn from the middle of the board as well as from the tail.

I want a bigger board mostly for when it's too choppy for my 8'10 Flow. We get overhead days when the chop is just horrendous. I need a board with a bit more stability and glide to catch those waves. The problem is that all the boards that would be suitable have way too much volume for my 175 pounds. A custom 9'6 x 32" Flash @ 120 liters might work.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »
Mostly using a 9,11 x 31 longboard shape with lots of rocker for everything. Waves tend to be on the weak side and fat so it is ideal. Sometimes go for the 8,8 x 32 quad if clean and bigger....whoosh...it is also fun in steeper smaller beach breaks.

It’s winter and freezing so the bigger board conserves the energy and keeps me upright and catches everything.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 05:44:00 PM »
I'll put my two cents in or what works for us BIG guys

High performance everyday ways Fanatic AllWave 9'8

For juicy surf I'm EXCITED for the Sunova CREEK 9'7

Fun Longboard Starboard Avanti

and my "guilty pleasure" or a big guy in small surf I ride my Falcon 14FT tiny waves, ser long rides and I fall off laughing "How can a "Clydesdale" like me ride such a small wave for so long in New Jersey

These boards aren't for everyone but it works for us big guys ...or atleast me

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 06:37:26 PM »
Kronos Longboard: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L
For those days when you need to cruise.

Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L
If it's choppy, or really busy, or I'm tired or am weighed down by full winter rubber, or am not feeling confident, I'll grab this one.  If I can only bring one board and am unsure of conditions, this one will get the nod.

Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L
If it's not too choppy and the waves have some push, I take this out. This board pushes me but is stable enough to still keep the fun factor up.

(note: I'm only 145 lbs.)
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 07:23:02 AM »
If it's 2-8' and glassy and uncrowded I take out my 8-11 Fangtail. If it's anything else I don't surf.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 08:11:37 AM »
0-2': 10-6 hammer for surf or just a paddle along the coast.
2-8': 9-6 Stoke
Son somehow talks me out of the stoke: 9-5 hammer.
6-1, (currently) 248#

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:39 AM »
I try to build my quiver so that the choice is relatively easy. My 8 10 speed is my everyday board. It is the right choice for the conditions I usually surf. I have a 9 6 Steeze for longer paddles, when I want to longboard, or just want something different.  I swapped my 8 7 flow for a 8 6 skate because the flow worked in the same conditions as my speed.I really enjoyed the flow but I found myself going with the Speed. I think the Skate will fit into my quiver better .

supcymru

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 12:13:10 PM »
Reading all of my your replies is really interesting and very helpful for me to understand how different boards are suited to the different conditions that you have.

Are you fortunate enough to demo the boards in your local spots before you buy or, as in my case, do you rely on the manufacturer's advice and reviews from here on the Zone and other sources?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal