Author Topic: Chinook paddles...anyone tried them??  (Read 8538 times)

Jeroensurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Chinook paddles...anyone tried them??
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
In Windsurfing they are one of the best suplyers of boardparts and making excelent mastextensions from aloy and carbon. Did anyone tried there paddle?

http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=87&products_id=315

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chinook paddles...anyone tried them??
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:24:30 PM »
Looks like the Werner handle.... the one that had breakage problems.. Maybe it's just a copy of it.. ???

DJ
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:26:45 PM by DavidJohn »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »
What's with the super wide weave in the carbon?  Mo strong?.. or less

Looks like a lauhala mat

Celeste

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »
Spread tow, because the tow is flat rather then round, it is shorter for a given linear measure of the fabric(it does not have to travel as far from its average axis to get over and under the crossing tows).  That increases the stiffness of the final product because under tension there is less to stretch, and under compression the fibers are straighter and rely less on the bonding matrix (epoxy in most cases) to support the load.

The difference between spread and round tow fabrics are small, but at the very edge of performance envelop every little bit helps.
Obfuscation through elucidation

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 05:55:50 PM »
$259 at Windance, $238 for the adjustable version:

http://www.windance.com/SUP-SUP-Paddles/?subcategory=Chinook

I'm still looking around for reasonably priced, durable, high quality carbon fiber paddles.  Anyone with experience using Stand on Liquid's "Torrent" paddle?  $219
http://www.standonliquid.com/Stand-on-Liquid-Full-Carbon-Fixed-Paddle-Prodview.html  

MAX

Mil-Surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »
Not sure about the paddles but have used many of their windsurfing products throughout the years. Based on those I would recommend them.
Jimmy Lewis Destroyer
7’7”x29”@100ltrs

piece of 8

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 06:34:43 PM »
Looks like the Werner handle.... the one that had breakage problems.. Maybe it's just a copy of it.. ???

DJ

Off topic , but I broke one a few weeks ago after telling someone in the parking lot that I have never broken a paddle ??? It was tough to catch my first wave without a handle and paddle in to get my trusty Ke Nalu flat water paddler

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 08:36:27 PM »
Great company, great products--they make most of their stuff right here in the gorge, about twenty miles from Hood River in Cascade Locks. But the paddle doesn't look so hot from the pictures. I haven't seen or tried one, so I couldn't say definitively.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:13:54 AM »
Bill is absolutely correct great company, great folks. I've tried the paddles they are reasonably light, well finished, fairly smooth. To me they fell old Werner(y). It is reasonable paddle. Are there better that is a matter of opinion.

JimK 
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Jeroensurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 01:37:37 PM »
Everybody thanx for there reply and sorry mine came a bit late ::) , lots of work and not much internet- time.
I know chinook from windsurfing and that is why it did catch my interest, but as the jury isnt still out on them I stick rather to the more well known and better available brands that I can try before buy as well.
Thanx!

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 03:21:15 PM »
I found it odd that they only offer the one size blade. And if I recall it's a bit big.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

wstt_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »
I’ve now had several Chinook paddles for a few years and think they are excellent.
I have a 100% Carbon Jack Paddle and a 82 Thrust Paddle, both fixed length. 
I love the oval shaft and how light the paddles are. I can’t imagine paying $500+ for a paddle when these are like $200 and perform excellently.
My boards are a different story though as I’ve paid top dollars for some Starboard Pro Carbons as I feel their construction is worth the extra money, and they have great resale value. I will add I wasn’t as big a fan of an adjustable Chinook paddle i tried a few years ago though as it didn’t feel solid like a fixed paddle.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:48:19 PM by wstt_SUP »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal