Author Topic: PU foam vs EPS Epoxy  (Read 11532 times)

Andrew.A

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
PU foam vs EPS Epoxy
« on: September 29, 2007, 01:32:21 AM »
Is anyone out there riding and getting performance out of a PU foam board?
It would seem to me that the only way forward is EPS epoxy boards, but down here in OZ there is a BIG push by a local shaper of 40 years - Shane Steadman to get crew on PU boards, and he is succeeding.
The logic is that the PU board have more of a surf feel, sitting lower in the water and having the momentum to carry your stroke and build up speed.
He is having succes with the likes of Tom Carroll and Ritchie Lovett riding his boards.
Shane is also sighting the Pro circuit where very few pro's ride epoxy boards.
At around 6' it does not make a lot of difference, but I know from my Mal that at 9' epoxy is a huge advantage, especially with swing weight.
It is early days down here and we are all feeling our way into this sport so I would be iterested in any feedback.

Andrew.A
SYDNEY Australia

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: PU foam vs EPS Epoxy
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 08:22:08 AM »
Is anyone out there riding and getting performance out of a PU foam board?
It would seem to me that the only way forward is EPS epoxy boards, but down here in OZ there is a BIG push by a local shaper of 40 years - Shane Steadman to get crew on PU boards, and he is succeeding.
The logic is that the PU board have more of a surf feel, sitting lower in the water and having the momentum to carry your stroke and build up speed.
He is having succes with the likes of Tom Carroll and Ritchie Lovett riding his boards.
Shane is also sighting the Pro circuit where very few pro's ride epoxy boards.
At around 6' it does not make a lot of difference, but I know from my Mal that at 9' epoxy is a huge advantage, especially with swing weight.
It is early days down here and we are all feeling our way into this sport so I would be iterested in any feedback.

Hi Andrew,

First off, welcome to the forum!  It is great for us to hear what is going on in your part of OZ and we are stoked to have you.

Both Chan and I had PU custom boards made.  These were the second group of boards we had owned, and I am completely happy that we spent time on them.  Jimmy Lewis made them for us, and they were 9'10 and 9'6.  The shapes were smooth semi progressive longboard shapes, but obviously wider.  Before them, we owned big, light production pop outs.

What Shane said about the momentum is partially true, but I think it is more a feel thing than something that is clearly better for one construction or the other.  It takes way more initial energy to get a these heavy PU boards going, but once they are moving, they keep on truckin'.  When you switch from that to EPS, it feels like it is far easier to get started, but that you lose more speed after each  stroke.   You will adjust your stroke cadence to make up for this. 

For noseriding, and 60's style cruising, PU may be just the thing for some riders.  The boards stay planted and feel ultra smooth and damp.  It is really pleasing.

For performance, in my mind, there is really no comparison.  In pumping for speed, leaping for a lip, coming off the top, etc. 35+ lbs is just prohibitive.  This is where EPS rules.

Just my two cents,

Rand

Andrew.A

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 12:11:50 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome Rand. Nice to be on board a great forum!

A we head into summer down here I am sure you will be getting more and more Aussies hitting the site hungry for info. I get hit up every time I am on the beach. It appears we are a bit behind you guys and that is probably one of the reasons why PU boards are popular (I can only speak for Sydney) as it is a cheaper and easier way to develop designs and progress the sport in our own backyard.

Naish 11 1/2'ers are one of the more popular epoxy boards but I have also seen some Jimmy Lewis, Star boards, Mistral, Laguna bay and the Surftechs. C4 and HPS are on their way and I am sure that will change the way everyone rides over this summer.

Any other brands worth looking out for?

I'll keep you posted on any news from down under. Keep up the good work!

Andrew.A
SYDNEY AUSTRALIA

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 08:03:19 AM »
Please send some pics of the scene in Sydney.  Who knows, if the conditions stay as bad as they have been here, we may need to jump on a plane.  :)

Andrew.A

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 05:59:08 AM »
Hey Rand - yeah, come on down - it was pumping today...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w121/12Hop07/4907.jpg

Andrew.A
Sydney Australia

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 02:15:56 PM »
Hey Rand - yeah, come on down - it was pumping today...

Andrew.A
Sydney Australia

Hey Andrew,
Make up our bed and put on some coffee. :)

If you knocked that condition in half, we still haven't seen its equal in a month.  Oh well, let's hope October does its thing.

Randy

sylvano

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 04:00:42 AM »
I like both methods of construction with a slight lean towards hand glassed. My girlfriend however, prefers the molded boards because they are easier for her to carry and a little more durable.

As a prone surfer (only longboards), I have tried some different models of Epoxy Surt Tech boards. Don't like them.
I never found the same feeling under my feet as with a polyester board.
Sure sandwich boards are harder and more resistant.
I is true that sandwich boards are much lighter, but I do not care about weight with my longboards.
I have a 9'4 and a 10'3. The 10'3 is like 9 kg and I love it! (Except when I go out the water on rocky spot with waves banging on me!!1).
 Now with Sup, I have never tried a polyester board.
I think that due to the big dimentions of these boards, weight can be taken as an important factor.

From a marketing point of view, for sure, sandwich po out boards are the future.
I only hope that this won´t kill little custom shapers who work hard and well around the world...

heave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »
Extruded polystyrene (pink foam) is my favorite, especially in sailboards.  It has a really nice and smooth dampening quality in the ride.  My joints are really liking it. The leaf spring effect of the vacuum formed blank also helps keep it smooth and adds stacked sandwich strength.  Add some wood to the mix and it gets even nicer.  No need for super stiff sandwiched rails for strength.  Pink foam is also waterproof and boards come out nice and light for that hi-performance ride.                           

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 01:18:17 PM »
We just build a new Sup for the shop and this is what we used.
 2 pound White Hot brand foam.
Pre-sealed with a white opague and micro balloons and Resin X
 It was laminated with 8oz volan bottom with a fin patch and the deck was 8 volan and 6oz glass. We used the new Epoxy Safe polyester Resin X for laminating and polishing.
The Volan did add a bit more weight but the durablity should be better.
This should take care of the gloss chipping problem.
This is not a sales pitch, just wanted to let you know what we are trying.

footemaui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 07:00:24 PM »
EPS RULES

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 11:43:32 PM »
EPS RULES

agreed. it shapes great if you dont have 20 + years of poly shaping driving your mentality towards it. Open minds boys, open minds.

heave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
I moved away from sandwiched rails with 1lb EPS sailboards.  Deck channel along the rail with carbon/kevlar works nice in the lighter wind waveboards.  The kevlar fibers run lengthwise and the carbon fibers goes rail to rail with balsa sandwich top and bottom.  I made some Clark foam sailboards way back when and they rode nice and smooth but were a bit heavy.           

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill