Author Topic: Noosa Festival of Surfing 2018  (Read 5637 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Noosa Festival of Surfing 2018
« on: January 30, 2018, 06:22:08 AM »
I don't like the sound of this:

Noosa Festival of Surfing 2018

"For the first time in more than a decade, the Laguna Real Estate Noosa Festival of Surfing 2018 will not include stand up paddle events, signalling the fact that SUPS has grown too big and too diverse to fit within the format of a surfing event.

We regard this as a positive move for both the SUPS community and our surfing base. Stand up paddle surfing and racing has grown to such a degree in recent years that many paddlers felt that they needed more space to run their events than we could offer within the festival. By separating the two events, we feel we are helping both sports to grow.

The Laguna Real Estate Noosa Festival will still celebrate all surfing disciplines, but the accent of the “8 days of pure stoke” will once again be on amateur and professional longboarding and speciality events.

This is not a decision taken lightly. For more than a decade the Noosa Festival has helped to put stand up paddling on the map, but in recent years, with the major emphasis being on paddle racing, it was becoming apparent that the sport needed to develop its own stand-alone events. By the same token, the Noosa Festival has grown to such a degree that it needed to focus once again on its pure surfing aspects.

All Pro and speciality events will open for entry 1 November with some exciting new format changes."

http://www.noosafestivalofsurfing.com/laguna-real-estate-noosa-festival-of-surfing-goes-back-to-its-roots/

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Noosa Festival of Surfing 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:40:34 AM »
in progress...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 11:17:33 AM »
That's a great vid Burchas! 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 01:09:31 PM »
That sucks....Noosa on my bucket list of things to attend before I die....still is despite this.

I contacted the organizers years ago (10?) after DJ had posted a pic of that years poster. It was the inspiration for the poster for the 1st CCBC. I had asked how it might be possible to get a copy and they sent me one...too cool. in a very nice frame in my living room now.... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »
I suggest you remove the prone shortboard and noserider category from the CCBC  :o

Seriously, has the Noosa event gotten so large that they need to cull out SUP?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 09:04:20 PM »
Well, it’s been a long time since I was at Noosa, but it was pretty crowded at peak times even back then.

I think they are right to do this, and I’m
Sure that their core audience will be mainly pleased. As they say, with the emphasis these days in SUP upon racing, and the ever-increasing presence of dugouts, the sport looks increasingly like stand-up canoeing, as the ICF contends. And the brands that support SUP are increasingly diverging from surf ones. Moreover, SUP surfing these days has become mainly a rather slow and ungainly version of surf shortboarding in terms of its scoring and equipment. This is far away from SUP surfing’s origins only 10 or 12 years ago where it was firmly about lomgboarding with a paddle in your hands. After all, Noosa is one of the world’s most famous longboard sports.

And with the moves for SUP in the Olympics, maybe it is time for SUP competitions to sink or swim on their own grounds. Or else go back to its own roots too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal