Author Topic: I saw the future of foiling today  (Read 6256 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
I saw the future of foiling today
« on: January 28, 2018, 04:38:29 PM »
https://instagram.com/p/Begc0KclSp3/

Austin Kalama is here in Florida right now. I watched him prone Foil, then when conditions were right for switching to SUP foil, he switched.

Video doesn’t do it justice. His speed on the wave, was like nothing I’ve seen before (unless a kite was involved). Then the flips, even going back out he flipped and landed it.

There was a time I was envious of those prone foiling. Not anymore. What he did on a SUP was so much more impressive.
https://instagram.com/p/BegcW5hFsmR/

https://instagram.com/p/Begb-AFFAVb/

Sorry about the quality.  Shot with zoom on iPhone. My camera battery was dead when I got the call he was foiling my home spot.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I saw the future of foiling today
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 05:30:43 PM »
Any more pictures or info about the board?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 05:40:29 PM »
Any more pictures or info about the board?

On my iPhone 🤣

Follow them on Instagram. Dave’s board is 6’2 110 liters.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 05:52:23 PM »
Am I right that those rails split the difference between what is being debated on here?  Can you speak to the design a bit?

Regarding the flips, if you know what the seated water ski foils do, you know that flips will be a major part of foiling once the sport matures.

We will see the same thing happened that happened in racing. The big old guys will start doing it because they are established and can afford the gear and then a few years later young folks will show up and change the game. Like all things, this will be compressed with foils to where you almost won't see the change.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »
This is a friend's new Kalama foil sup board. I don't know the spec's. I'll look closer next time I see him.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 09:04:53 PM »
Thx man. Rails look hard at back and then soften up as they move forward. But never really go round like a race board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 10:16:38 PM »
The reversed rails are brilliant. Add secondary stability without increasing wetted surface (and drag) on touch and go. The board gets wider as it tips. Likewise, the extreme angled tail. Gives you deck room without a flat section to touch down when pumping. I'm very happy with my Jimmy Lewis 8'5" as a starter board, but when I get frisky I'm going to be talking to Dave.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 11:02:39 PM »
The reversed rails are brilliant. Add secondary stability without increasing wetted surface (and drag) on touch and go. The board gets wider as it tips. Likewise, the extreme angled tail. Gives you deck room without a flat section to touch down when pumping. I'm very happy with my Jimmy Lewis 8'5" as a starter board, but when I get frisky I'm going to be talking to Dave.

For me so far it’s been the opposite and with the chine rails you have to go a lot wider as it’s takes all the volume out of the rail and therefore lose a lot of stability. Maybe it’s not such a issue in clean waves but when it’s bumpy it makes a big difference I went from chine to full on square and hard and it was night and day difference. I’m playing with a few ideas at the moments but I have been preferring a board that is super stable and released fast. I never found enuf diferance with the hole touching down thing and if anything the hull shape stuck more.
I have notice there are a lot of prone boards that look like just a 2” slab of foam with a outline and that’s about it and I can see why.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 11:21:47 PM »
In this case I'm talking purely theoretically, I have very little practical experience. They just look right to me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 03:32:39 AM »
Can you speak to the design a bit?

The tail chine I 100% believe in. My board, has my version of what Dave has done (inspired by Dave’s board). The chine works better with no negative. Likely no negative, because our rear foot never goes back there, so it doesn’t matter. And we both do very thick flattish rockers. It just frees up pumping, and it seems to me, the push off from behind by the wave is smoother, with no trim/pitch upset to the foil when it shoves me forward. Wave entry/catching just seems a lot easier and kook proof.

Dave and I both do rail chines, but different. His theory on them may be different than mine. I was not able to speak with Dave yesterday. He was off teaching foiling
at the resort. The chines work for us.

I do think volume needs to be right for these radical boards to work. Right being down in the water, deck flush. You don’t want to be high and dry bobbing like a cork.

Different foil brands behave so different, it’s probably having some affect on how board designs are diverging
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:36:52 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 04:07:45 AM »
In this case I'm talking purely theoretically, I have very little practical experience. They just look right to me.
Well, as the computer scientists say: “In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is“.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 08:15:47 AM »
It looks like there is movement towards "boogie board" rails. I observe this on many second and third gen sleds from many shapers. Along with shapes that are short, with minimal rocker. This has been interesting to watch from Tundraville!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »
DW, I can see that the waves and the foil could really influence a board.

Fascinating to watch this evolution.

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 11:31:44 PM »
I pulled the trigger on one of Daves foil boards a couple of months ago and now it's sitting under Jamie Mitchell's house on the North shore waiting for another mate of mine to bring it home on Feb 7. I could have got something built much cheaper built down under but I just love the way Dave is using those chined rails to bring the board back up on touchdowns and pushing the board down off the lip and out of bottom turns straight back onto the foil. All my early board designs were just focused on paddle stability & floatation with a fat nose to survive a touchdown which ended up just sticking. No consideration at all to engage the board pushing it down off the foil to help with the turn.

I'm similar size and weight to Dave so I said just give me something around 7-2 x 27 apx 120 litres, no idea what it looks like , I'll guess I'll find out in a week but I know it will be good. He is at the forefront of this sport.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:45:09 PM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
I’m not sure if this has already been posted, but just in case someone missed it. Enjoy  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIriExQH47A&feature=share

NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal