Author Topic: Punta Mita was On last week  (Read 3593 times)

oldfartsuperdad

• Malibu Status
  • Its All About the Journey - Duh
    • View Profile
    • Email
Punta Mita was On last week
« on: January 28, 2018, 02:25:56 PM »
Had a great time on the other side of the wall down in Punta Mita previous two weeks.  Got very lucky with a swell coming through that sent the waves head high and glassy smooth for a few days.  Rented a sweet Starboard from Surf Mexico out of Bucieras - recommended.  Also had a car rental as wife wanted to live in Sayulita North Side - so I drove back to Punta on the good days.  La Launcha was my favorite -see pic - park at Surf Mexico shop on the highway directly across from the trail to the beach - folks are very friendly and will watch your stuff for you.  Also had a nice session at Anclote with very long waves and no crowds early in the morning....at one point was all alone picking off waves and wore myself out with little rest in between.  Even managed a few good sessions in Sayulita which was a convenient walk down the the beach...crowded, but manageable and a fun wave out front with beer close at hand.

Not sure how lucky I got with the swell - but will definitely return.  Having a car helps and next time will explore more of the area.  In my opinion, this is my "new" Costa Rica - easier to gert to, cheap and very freindly.

SIC Bullet V2 14
Custom L41 S3 8.4  145 L
Sunova Creek 9.4 148ltr

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Punta Mita was On last week
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »
Glad the stars aligned for you. Looks like an awesome trip. When ever you get uncrowded sunny glassy swell mixed in with cervesa's near by, it's all good...........Seņor'
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »
Going down first week in April and hope it's as good as you got it ! I la launcha!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »
Love hearing about good surf trips!
Pic looks great, I am glad everything lined up for you SUPer Dad 😃

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 06:02:13 AM »
Nice, on my list, but it's hard to go anywhere other than Costa Rica (well a free trip to Tavarua too).
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 10:37:02 AM »
You bugger!  I used to watch the cam before it went away.  I also watch the Witches Rock cam in Tamarindo.  In comparison, Tamarindo is blown out all winter and what you can see is dumpy.  I gather the winds fall off as wet season approaches.

From my section of the Eastcoast, Liberia is a much easier flight than Puerto Vallarta.  But, it's hard to break away.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:37:34 AM »
You bugger!  I used to watch the cam before it went away.  I also watch the Witches Rock cam in Tamarindo.  In comparison, Tamarindo is blown out all winter and what you can see is dumpy.  I gather the winds fall off as wet season approaches.

From my section of the Eastcoast, Liberia is a much easier flight than Puerto Vallarta.  But, it's hard to break away.

Jim

Tamarindo is basically just closeouts and not really a great place to visit, I generally go to Nosara and/or Playa Avellanas.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 07:48:18 AM »
APP____     Roger that.  I did a week of Nosara about 20yrs ago.  Hurricane in the Gulf throwing down lotsa water and wind on the Pacific side.  After we got home, my wife and I felt we had an absolute ball - even tho' there was a challenge a minute. Victory-at-Sea in the water and on land. 

Only two police stops looking for loose change...  but our plane tickets were stolen at the airport by the first person you pass thru (exit visa?) before you get up to customs.  Luckily, we made enough noise that they got the people - who then promptly took out their existing tickets and moved back to their assigned seats.  I wanted to kill the people on the plane but I'd probably still be there.

This was an easy one! ...one creek came over the hood.  ...and the rickety bridges! Woah....   After leaving SJ about 11am ...we did not get into Nosara 'till after dark.  I find a challenge fun - sometimes.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

fly2surf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 05:27:19 AM »
Looks like a fun spot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal