Author Topic: Bali ..'not what you had in mind.  (Read 8669 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bali ..'not what you had in mind.
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 10:59:41 AM »
https://youtu.be/WfGMYdalClU
Well, I know I REALLY like this video (never saw it before, thanks for posting) and no matter what side of anything you stand on I wouldn't understand if someone said they didn't get the message. We're just.....slobs just like the original video shows no matter how you look at it.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »
When I was in Bali in the late 80's, there was very little trash and litter. All the takeout food was served on banana leaves and eaten with bamboo chopsticks or skewers. Every one just threw them into one of the rice irrigation streams and it either decomposed or was eaten by the loose ducks, dogs, or lizards.

When I went back in 1999, there was trash everywhere. Food was now being served with Styrofoam plates and plastic forks. Everyone still threw it in the streams, but nothing ate it. That's the problem with plastic, it is a permanent product that is used for throwaway products. No amount of recycling efforts can get ride of it. Recycling may be able to limit it, but as long as plastic is used for for throwaway products, there will be a problem.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2018, 06:07:40 PM »
Well then there's no point in making any effort, full speed ahead, all doomed anyway.

Sorry, that's just monumentally stupid and consistent with every doomsday predictor. Its been 73 years since Hiroshima and the doomsday clock is still stuck at two minutes to midnight. Earth to "atomic scientists", your fucking clock is busted.

No.

They only just very recently moved it back to 2 mins to midnight.

For the very 2 concerns I expressed about Trump cumming into power. War and environment.

When they started that clock, yes at 2 mins to midnight, it was a pretty scary period. Fact is we just got back to it.

Here’s to hoping it’s a trimtab.

[pun intended]

Yeah, I know. The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists started the doomsday clock in 1947 in an effort to scare people into sanity about nuclear weapons. It didn't work. Pointing out that something is an existential threat which is generally out of people's control is more likely to desensitize them, or even motivate them in destructive ways. It was two minutes to midnight in 1953 when the US detonated a fusion bomb. In the 80's it was 3 minutes to midnight even though there were roughly 60,000 nuclear weapons in the world in the hands of what eventually became 9 nations (I don't remember when India, Pakistan, and North Korea developed nukes and I don't know when Isreal did), and nearly 30 nations were working to develop bombs of their own. There are now about 10,000 nukes in the world and theoretically, NO new nations are working to join the nuke club. After New START the Journal decided to add climate change. I guess one existential threat was just not enough. In reality, there have been many ways beyond simple numerical decrease that the threat of nuclear war has diminished as the evidence of no further use of weapons since 1945 seems to suggest. And a lot more can and hopefully will be done.

Goodfornuttin', you might read more carefully. I didn't call you a name. I said a statement I typed was monumentally stupid. Absent your ability to parse that there's not much more to say.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:10:23 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal