Author Topic: Maui SUP - - best ways to rent?  (Read 9738 times)

dtmfcc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Maui SUP - - best ways to rent?
« on: January 27, 2018, 09:01:59 PM »
We'll be staying in Kaanapali late February with a typical rental car.  Want to SUP calm water hopefully at least 3 mornings.  What are best areas, and best rental shops nearby who drop off or are right by beach? It sounds like we would like Makena and Kalama and Cove Beach in Kihei. Would like to try near our condo too if conditions are good.

Where should we rent? If it were just me, I'd try an inflatable which some places advertise, but my husband is 6' and about 220, so I don't think he'd like that.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Maui SUP - - best ways to rent?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 10:39:29 PM »
808 Surf is in Napali, a short drive from Kaanapali. Super good guys, lots of boards to choose from  http://www.808boards.com/. They deliver right to your hotel or condo in Ka'anapali or you can take the short drive to Nepali and browse. They have a wide variety of boards from cruiser to performance. You can swap out boards any time, and if you decide to buy one your rent applies to purchase.

Ka'anapali is a nice area to cruise around, you can paddle down to black rock and watch the kids dive into the water off the rocks. There's a little break on the east end of the beach that works sometimes. If you want to try a little lightweight surfing in Lahina there's the breakwall, which is where most of the lessons on the west side take place, and moving further east there's Puamana and a number of breaks down to Launiopoko. Heading west from Kaanapali is Kehana which has Rainbows, S-Turns, a few unnamed spots, and Little Makaha. In February all these breaks will likely have small waves since most of the bigger stuff will be on the north shore. The entire west side will be pretty calm in February except perhaps S-Turns and Little Mak which sometimes gets wrapped or rebounded north swell.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:41:55 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 12:10:07 PM »
Plenty of surf rentals on Maui. I have done everything from renting from 808 (Napili), Mauis Beach House (Lahaina), Hi Tech and even a couple times emailing through Craigslist.

Kaanapali can have big shore break, but probably not this time of year. Double check that the condo you are staying in has board storage, or you will have to lug your equipment to the room, which is a pain with a 10' cruiser.

Cove Park in Kihei has a Hi Tech rental shop right across the street. My family loves it there. Best part is if you can get street parking you don't have to walk more than across the sidewalk to load out your stuff.

Link below (if it works) is my 7 y.o. at Cove Park. She did this on repeat until she couldn't paddle another second.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVv6fDwlMgmn_FYMtX6v6ZVlsgHcJZnV48hUkM0/?hl=en&taken-by=rmoorepe

Make paddleboarding great again!

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 03:00:41 PM »
We used 808 and got a Foote 10 footer (see Clay's video of him surfing there, same board) and a Jimmy Lewis world wide for momma. They throw some noodles on your rental (ford escape with side rails), strapped em down and off we went.  Our condo allowed us to store them in a room downstairs for easy access.  Great set up all in all, and the guys at 808 were fantastic, allowing us to swap out and try new boards twice.  Very cool.

dtmfcc

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 07:27:02 PM »
We used 808 and got a Foote 10 footer (see Clay's video of him surfing there, same board) and a Jimmy Lewis world wide for momma. They throw some noodles on your rental (ford escape with side rails), strapped em down and off we went.  Our condo allowed us to store them in a room downstairs for easy access.  Great set up all in all, and the guys at 808 were fantastic, allowing us to swap out and try new boards twice.  Very cool.
Thanks to all. Getting excited!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal