Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 10139 times)

SG50SUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPmission
What would you do?
« on: January 27, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »

This video's been circulating around the web. I couldn't help but cringe. The accident in Oregon involves 3 people on a fishing boat and another speeding boat speed crashing into their craft. I couldn't help but wonder, "What if that was me on my SUP?"
What would you do if that was you on your sup. Try paddle away? Unleash and bail to avoid entanglement on propellers? Be happy that you got your pfd on you? Would that boat even notice that he crashed onto a SUP?? Argh.. Scary thoughts..
The 3 got lucky despite the fact that they didn't have their FPDs when they took the leap of faith. Great message at the end of the video btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRpeOuBk5yQ
SIC RS 14, SIC X-14 Pro Lite, FX-14 Pro, X-12'6 Pro
BlackProject EPIC 95, Tiger Pro v2.0, Maliko Pro Race
Quickblade Trifecta 86, BlackProject HYDRO 83
Vaaká Cadence × Suunto Spartan Ultra × SUPSKIN × RESTUBE

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 09:49:29 PM »

It happened once to me, but with a small, slower boat, and they veered away before I had to act, so not remotely as scary as the video.  The guy operating it was facing backwards and never saw me until he passed me.  The scary thing about the video is it was aiming so dead on.  You wouldn't know which way to jump until it was almost too late.

A few more related comments about the same video:

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,33023.msg371229.html#msg371229

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 04:27:49 PM »
I wouldn't want to be wearing a PFD, I'd dive deep and keep scratching for the bottom.
In that case, depth is your friend, similar to a giant wave coming straight for you.  But that's just me.
It takes a quiver to do that.

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »
It's always classic that often the only two boats on the lake/waterway get into a collision. i used to see this more when i was kayaking - being lower. Usually guys on auto-pilot or actually bombing towards me to see what I was then veer at the last moment.  Luckily i can surf. 

Also get pics of the incoming boat in case it's hit and run, if you have time. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:04:35 PM »
This video scared me because I was imagining what I would do if my kids were on board. I think I could have jumped off, but children usually don't think quickly in those situations. A few extra seconds to toss a kid overboard and there's the collision.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal