Author Topic: R&R of my Shaping Stands  (Read 13493 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: R&R of my Shaping Stands
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2020, 09:25:33 PM »
Getting there man. Can I laminate in winter and then hot coat in summer? lol. It’s so hard to get the temp right for what I’m doing now when I want to do it.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »
Temps have been unusual here too. Some days barely 70, others 90.
The repaired rails turned out better than expected. Filled in a couple spots and around the handle last night.
Surprised at how the carbon tows spread out under the glass while laminating, usually I do a separate patch as a cut lap so I have never seen this. Getting excited to open up plugs and such. The handle could have been better: no template, feehand rout, cloth pulled away a little, tape leaked. So glad it's getting painted...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 09:43:39 AM by jrandy »
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2020, 10:43:47 AM »
I used some old aluminum crutches to turn my shaping stands into taller glassing stands. They adjusted with the push of a mechanical button. Worked on a surfboard, but a little too wobbly for a big SUP. An old glasser friend of mine said he wished he had a powered lift table with a pedal that he could control the height with. Nice for the under wrap. Most of the desk type lift tables have a digital control on the front edge of the table. That would end up being buried in resin.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2020, 04:00:41 PM »
LOL TD. I have crutches and an electric drafting table and have yet to modify any for board use.
Cross-posting images on Swaylocks for now.
We have sanded handle flat and leash plugs open. Got another layer of cloth, were up until around 11pm cutting laps and cleaning up. Tonight is supposed to be fill coat one side. Loving the nicer 6oz cloth over the top much more than the 'mystery' cloth underneath, much easier to wrap rails and sand laps.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 04:25:58 PM by jrandy »
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2020, 08:54:37 AM »
Coming towards the end of this build.
Fill coat is on and daughter is anxious to paddle. She seems fixing to abandon a full-on paint job and just go for some rattle can colors. It's a little rough, a few more zits and masking tape flecks than I would like.  If it were 100% up to me I would sand and fill coat again or sand and go after it with some sort of 2 part high build primer. Not that I have experience with auto paints, it is on my bucket list to try some spaying sometime. Epoxy company says marine, boat people say use a 2 part , Edubz says Montana, various interweb hacks show the same 5 dollar cans we normally buy around here for other projects. My son and I did a poly board that turned out nice with said 5 dollar cans as a wall hanger but it has never been roaded or surfed.  I can see the old rail dings but in most cases I cannot feel them so that seems to be a success story in that regard.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:07:28 AM by jrandy »
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2020, 01:20:43 PM »
I love homemade boards.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2020, 07:21:52 AM »
We love us some homemade boards too!

The board has moved from glassing to paint.

My daughter chose a bright yellow/green base followed by a green and gold glitter and a little clear.
She also ordered in an entry level carbon paddle, grey traction, and a nice leash. Maybe a fin too, just glad she's working the paint and finishing details so I do not have to.

Its working name is 'Sugar Booger'. At this point the board has a textured and iridescent finish that is hard to photograph, seems to wash out in the phone camera.

We need to figure a clear coat that will fill in and seal it for water use but free of hot solvents that would affect the acrylics and glitter. Would this be a job for a 2 part polyurethane? We could roll and tip or use a low end cup gun. It's been rattle cans so far but I am afraid we'd need a half dozen more clear just to make a difference. Not going for show car stuff, just done and serviceable.

Tech support chat with big online paint distributor yielded nothing, afraid to recommend anything for 'marine' use. We also have a message into the rattle can company.
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2020, 07:33:42 AM »
I used some old aluminum crutches to turn my shaping stands into taller glassing stands. They adjusted with the push of a mechanical button. Worked on a surfboard, but a little too wobbly for a big SUP. An old glasser friend of mine said he wished he had a powered lift table with a pedal that he could control the height with. Nice for the under wrap. Most of the desk type lift tables have a digital control on the front edge of the table. That would end up being buried in resin.

I built my stands to be pushbutton adjustable with linear actuators. Unfortunately, they wobbled too much to be useful, so the actuators are in a drawer somewhere and the stands got welded.

I gave Mark Raaphorst an extra set of powered desk legs I had to make stands from, it was much more stable than my actuator idea and used a single motor to raise and lower. That would be a good place to start since the desks don't wobble--they've already worked out the mechanism to extend at low friction without having a loose telescoping joint. Some linear bearing would work but I have too many other projects to get done. I don't know whether Mark ever used them. They were't expensive, and yeah, they had the digital number thingy. You could put that in a poly bag.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2020, 04:51:27 AM »
We ordered some WR-LPU from System Three for the clear coat for the board in this thread.

I also have an electric drafting table that was earmarked for a shaping/glassing stand but I found the big flat top so useful for projects that I have not sacrificed it yet. 

I also have yet to try crutches for stands, I have plenty of those to mess with too...
Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal