Author Topic: R&R of my Shaping Stands  (Read 13495 times)

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: R&R of my Shaping Stands
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »
I went to band the rails this morning. We are experiencing a snow and ice storm in the upper Midwest and power is flickering- so not the best time to run a tool at 15000rpm and expect to see what is happening. My wireless router also loses power and connection so the interweb is flickering too.

I am using an old Ryobi planer that I got for 12$ from a buddy who found it at a thrift store. It has the so-named 'Newleaf' modifications that replaces the factory click-stop mechanism with a faucet valve stem to give a continuous range of mostion over fewer degrees of rotation. Because of the small size of the space I find myself minding the vacuum hose and power cord with one hand so I end us using it at a fixed depth with the other.

There will be plenty of sanding and more than a little spackle on this one...
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »
Man, I hadn't been keeping up with this one. It's looking good man.

I need to start planning my next board now that my foil is getting closer to done. You've inspired me to go sand a bit on that in fact.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 03:31:48 PM »
Thanks BJ. I still get a little jazzed a little every time I see someone else make forward progress too.
The power stabilized and I added a couple zip ties to the vac hose and power cord to keep the power cord from catching on the stands. Banding is done to a level where I feel good about switching to sanding. I told my daughter another week until paint and that seems doable after today.
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
Putt...putt...putt...putt...

Finbox and plugs have arrived in the mail, HD foam inserts cut, board is starting to be glassed.
It might even be done in time to ride once this season.

Be safe, have fun. -J

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
hows progress coming?

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 05:38:12 AM »
Hello SlatchJim, thanks for asking!
Progress has slowed to a stand still. Since last time I got the other side into its first layer of glass and then the fin boxes on the bottom and leash/bungee plugs an the top. I have not been doing well laminating on this one, lots of dry spots along the cut lap and trouble with relief cuts, hence the orange tape in the outdoor photo to show me where I need to sand, patch, etc. Some of this I would like to blame on the material set (7.5 oz mystery cloth, chunky board, and new brand of resin) or working conditions (messy car garage) but it's really an operator issue and I have totally missed the 24 hour re-lam/re-coat windows with epoxy that I would normally try to keep. Weather has turned here, first frost and rain and falling leaves, so I am at the point of either moving production indoors or waiting for spring. The board is currently on the wall racks in the house in the small room that was featured earlier in the thread.
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 08:29:07 AM »
Man, we ain’t in a hurry, right? It’s supposed to be a hobby.

I just got back from a cross country work trip so I’m trying to get back to laminating myself. Keep at it!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 09:31:15 AM »
I'm done with Mystery cloth Screwed up two projects. Not gonna be three.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 11:00:16 AM »
Thank you Zone, for this thread and others describing shaping stand construction.  Just finished my (lame-ass) attempt at shaping stands this weekend, and somehow, due to no inherent talent possessed by this "carpenter," I somehow made a pair that are level, stable, at a workable height (second attempt) and in use.  Subsequently, I took the most uninformative picture ever taken to show off my accomplishment.    Yay Zone, useful internet content yet again!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:02:02 AM by SlatchJim »

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 06:40:24 AM »
I like the stands SJ! It took me one or two tries to get mine just right too.

We are back on this board after a 2 year hiatus.
Once image loading is back online I'll post some pics.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 06:52:54 AM by jrandy »
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2020, 10:58:28 AM »

Looking for ideas on how to handle the fin boxes and leash plugs.
Leash plugs are still closed, I can glass over and sand open.
Fin boxes went in pre-glass with HD inserts and were opened up.
Still one layer of 6oz+deck patch to go.
Tape and open fin boxes after each step or tape and leave until after fill coat?
Board is getting painted afterwards, forgot to mention this.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:43:52 AM by jrandy »
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 03:41:27 PM »

Opened up the can of resin, also ignored since 2018. There was a puck about one inch (2.5cm) thick of crystailzed resin on the bottom. Googled and found a video from System Three, which paralleled the info given to me verbally by another manufacturer years ago. 120-140 F (50-60 C) water bath until it clears. Just using hot tap water was not enough, once it was on the campstove and maintained near 140 F it cleared right up.

Current plan is to tape, lam, and open the fin boxes both for cloth and fill coat. Leash plugs still to be covered and sanded open. I usually cut the fabric with an 'x' over the plug so it does not lift. Then I will tape a last time before it goes to paint.
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2020, 05:09:58 PM »
I have to do the same thing with my resin. I have a hot plate and big pan just for doing hot water baths. My 5 gallon buck plus concrete stands wobbled too much.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2020, 07:44:39 AM »
My 5 gallon stands seem to to pretty good. One of the buckets on one set self-destructed, concrete is ok but harder to move and level. We get 100's of buckets w/o handles at work. It would be a simple matter of resetting it but it's low on the list as it is holding up the 80 pound 1939 Tom Blake 13'9" replica rounded bottom board I made a few years ago.
So waiting out some rain, getting ready to glass once temps reach 70 in the garage. The stands from the beginning of this thread are too wide to tuck the rails.
I came up with this solution that somewhat justifies the plethora of scrap wood I keep around the house. The extra height will be nice for rails too.
I will probably wrap these in plastic to try to keep the pads on the stands resin-free. I got some on one corner last week and it made a hard little knot on the pad.
If I cannot decide whether to use carbon fiber or woven fiberglass for the standing area, would that make me carbon neutral...?
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2020, 02:14:24 PM »
Lamination of top complete 6oz glass x 6oz CF patch, one of my last pieces of CF.
Resin went off nice and slow giving me time to work and I had 3.5 [110g] extra to donate to the repair-the-garage-floor-pukas project. Glad the board will be painted too...

Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal