Author Topic: R&R of my Shaping Stands  (Read 13489 times)

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
R&R of my Shaping Stands
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:22:29 PM »
I decided to rebuild the support arms and padding on my surfboard shaping stands to be wider for some 9 to 10 foot SUP action.  I found myself using sawhorses on the big ones but these are going to be smaller boards made in a smaller space so I wanted to have optimized stands

Previously the arms were about 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches, cantilevered without bracing,  and covered in recycled foam and cheap duct tape. I want to say I was on the second tape job, not too bad for stands that have wintered outside a couple times over the past five years.

Now they are about twice as long, braced,  and covered with extra-deluxe memory foam carpet pad and recycled t-shirt material.  i also spent more time getting them level and rounding  the edges. Heck, I even sanded them a little...

The big trick was ironing the t-shirt material and rolling it up on the tube to allow me to unroll it evenly over the foam and spray adhesive.

Hopefully I am moving one blank into the room tomorrow.

I was going to tack this onto the thread 'shaping stand dimensions' but I got the 'probably too old' warning message. -J
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:33:24 PM by jrandy »
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: R&R of my Shaping Stands
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:30:56 PM »
Man, those are nice. My foam is all chewed up from being outside. Now you're gonna make me go and do that. ;)

So funny when you mentioned the bracing. Mine are wobbly as all get out.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:05:25 AM »
Thanks B.

I think next time I would cut the foam strips, maybe round the upper edges, and attach the t-shirt fabric first while all is flat so that dealing with adhesive overspray and wrinkles is easier, then mount them to the stands. The foam has a bit of a slick skin so the fabric gives a softer hand as well as traction against the blank. Using this material set should allow for faster re-pops in the future.

This is the final step to converting a spare room into a snowbound winter shop.  The bigger problem was to figure out how to access the bay from the side versus the end as is customary. My solution was to hinge the LED shaping lights so I did not have to practice any form of contortions to enter the space. I  went back and forth for almost a day considering my options and in the end it become simple: a few 1x4's and screws for the fixed side and a similar treatment plus hinges on the other.

Them I got a hankering to model the space in Fusion360...yeah, it seems about that small in real life too.
Be safe, have fun. -J

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »
Great idea for a winter time project....I've got lots of pressure treated 2x4s lying around so I think I'll bang me out a pair of these.

Very nice jrandy!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »
Thanks WS.
The pressure treated uprights in buckets of concrete were repurposed from an outdoor project. The assembly sequence is based on that and leftover 3" deck screws.
I templated the outline and took a lap around the blank with the hot wire so it's official.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 03:03:13 PM by jrandy »
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »
Would anybody want to discuss rails on the board above, 9'8" x 30" x 4.25" all-around 90% flat water for a smaller occasional rider but not wanting it to be useless for slightly larger riders or waves either. 

Most of my stuff in the 'surfboard' range seems to come out chined nose, soft/droppped rails, and a hard release on the tail. Should I be considering something different for this? I saw the Odysea in Anon's 'log' thread and the pictures got me thinking. I have a picture to add from an article I found online.

The outline is growing on me. I might make myself one too, more emphasis on surf, and try some stuff like deck channels.
Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 12:47:13 PM »
That looks like the right idea for the rails. With a lower nose rocker (more of a paddler), I'll round the front third (50/50). Even a bottom bevel to make it almost a 40/60. That helps it glide without the nose diving side to side. If there's more nose rocker like a high performance shorter board, I'll go a little more turned down and have the back 2/3's pinched harder.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 08:19:36 AM »
Thanks TD. I am thinking of doing a Dave Daum style first rail band cut (indexed from bottom side) to get the meat on the top to start to flow with the rocker on the bottom. His are done with a router jig. I use a hot wire.

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/dave-daums-railmaker-tool
Be safe, have fun. -J

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »
I tried the hotwire, but the cord got caught a few times and it made me pause. Each spot I paused the concentrated heat in that spot left these big melted notches that almost ruined the rail. After a few more, I said screw that. I just went back to pencil off my knuckles sliding along the deck and on the side, then cut it with a hand saw. Way....... to easy and quick. I was over thinking it.
It's not overhead to me!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 01:08:35 PM »
I gave my extra set of standing desk powered legs to Mark Raaphorst this morning, and when I understood what he was planning to do with them I almost snatched them back: He's going to make a powered shaping/glassing stand. Damn, that's brilliant. I don't really need one here in Maui, but I'll probably buy some of these legs for Hood River. They're super sturdy, the raising mechanism is powerful and doesn't have any shake. The width is adjustable. There's a crossbar on the top that stabilizes the top and houses the drive shaft, but he can either live with the crossbar either behind or under the shaping saddles or turn the table upside down to have two pedestals. It will be MUCH sturdier and more stable than the powered stand I made with linear actuators.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 01:20:02 PM »
I gave my extra set of standing desk powered legs to Mark Raaphorst this morning, and when I understood what he was planning to do with them I almost snatched them back: He's going to make a powered shaping/glassing stand. Damn, that's brilliant. I don't really need one here in Maui, but I'll probably buy some of these legs for Hood River. They're super sturdy, the raising mechanism is powerful and doesn't have any shake. The width is adjustable. There's a crossbar on the top that stabilizes the top and houses the drive shaft, but he can either live with the crossbar either behind or under the shaping saddles or turn the table upside down to have two pedestals. It will be MUCH sturdier and more stable than the powered stand I made with linear actuators.
I thought of the same thing as I was setting my new desk up.
It's not overhead to me!

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 04:52:24 AM »
I ended up getting rid of the one rolling stand from work that I was going to make into a lifting stand after I was given a drafting table with an electric raise/lower mechanism.  The table is nice and there is still a drafting arm mechanism. Maybe I'll figure out a place to put the table and arm and give the mechanism a try.
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
You might look to see if Massdrop does another sale of the leg kit. It's the sturdiest electric raising system I've seen. It's going to be stupidly easy to make it into a shaping/glassing table. Turn it upside down and bolt it to the floor.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
I went after the first rail band today, indexed to the bottom side 'Daum' style.

The wider stands are nice for all things except this. I hit one of the stands with the wire and put a 'twang' in the rail about two feet up from the tail. It kinda goes with the big one I put in the nose cutting the outline. So maybe balance is restored on some level...

I also got a little more done on the foil. The rest of the pictures are scattered throughout the Foil SUP forum. I glued the wing holder thing together and added the pegs to locate the wing roots to the holder. Once I have a couple layers of glass on the mating area of the fuselage and holder (separately) I will fit and match drill them for the mounting hardware.
Be safe, have fun. -J

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 07:24:02 PM »
Slow progress on the board and foil. I have Sharksupper to thank for the boost in seeing the Deep Tuttle adaptor come together on that thread.
-On the board, I did a lower band and chine with the hot wire, next will be the planer. I am hoping it to be ready for a lake come Memorial Day 2018...I  need to get busy so it can go to my daughter for artwork.
-On the foil, I assembled the wings to the detachable portion of the fuselage. I made the mistake of not checking for fit before I mixed and spread epoxy. The pegs did not slide well within the holes. I clamped and weighted everything together best I could and the result is fairly straight but there are more gaps in the joints than I would have preferred. Next will most likely be some microspheres and epoxy filler to fill the low spots on the wings and to start building up the fillets to the base and wings.
Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal