Author Topic: Hollow 14ft sup  (Read 92209 times)

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hollow 14ft sup
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2020, 11:36:07 PM »
Can't really afford any more toys at the moment. That looks like what I want. Just a little bigger.
 Took the board for a longer paddle. 10 K. Really happy with it. It's very stable even in slightly choppy conditions. Bit of swell and the board really takes off. Managed to get 1 ride on a larger swell over a shallow patch. The board took off and handled nicely. Didn't do anything strange. Managed to average just over 8 km/h for 5 km. The second 5 was a bit slower!
 Happy in general. Just a bit disappointed with the weight.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2020, 10:57:06 PM »
Bit of an update. Loving the board. I have read reviews where people say this board is really stable and thought hmm,maybe you just have good balance. But I am going to say it. This board is crazy stable. I can really concentrate on paddling even when its bumpy. Easy too look around etc. Side chop isnt a problem. Friends that dont really paddle look at it and go no way. Then I convince them to have a go and they are surprised how stable it is.
 It slips along nicely and takes off on little runners.
 So there must be some negatives. I went for a downwind yesterday. 20-25kts but only wind chop, no swell really as it was blowing across the bay. First time out on this board in some wind and tried paddling up wind side on etc. All OK. So I point too where I want too go and it's not really downwind. It's OK in the beginning as it's just windy. When the chop picks up and you are not going dead downwind and the waves are not big enough too get surfing I really struggled. The big boxy tail was getting pushed around and when you start to take off on a runner and at an angle the board just veers off. Long boxy shape and sharp rails. If I stood back to get the fwd part of the board out I just stopped. Once the waves were a bit bigger it was better. The board takes off. When you can step back and get the nose out it flies. Cant wait too get it out in some slightly bigger waves.
 The other problem with the big boxy shape is getting back on the board. Definitely more of a struggle.
 Good thing about a heavy board is it doesn't fly away when you do fall off. Bad thing is getting going each time when you come off the back of a wave and trying to lift it onto the car after a session! Its bomb proof though. Given it some good hits and bashed the tail and nose moving it around. No paint to chip. Got some good scratches so just gave the area a quick sand and a coat of epoxy and all good again.
 So need a new project! Same board but narrower or something different?

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »
Turned out pretty heavy. About 13.5 kgs. I think it's just under 14. Not too happy about that.

Congratulations on the board. It looks fantastic.

What would you do to reduce the weight? Could you use high density foam laminates for the frames and stringers?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2020, 01:20:58 PM »
So need a new project! Same board but narrower or something different?

Maybe something different. This one sounds like a winner. Great Job!
in progress...

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2020, 10:02:05 PM »
Turned out pretty heavy. About 13.5 kgs. I think it's just under 14. Not too happy about that.

Congratulations on the board. It looks fantastic.

What would you do to reduce the weight? Could you use high density foam laminates for the frames and stringers?

The plywood frame kit isnt very  heavy.
 I think lighter lay up all round. The hybrid carbon kevlar on the inside is over kill in most places.
 The bottom ended up with dips between the frames as I used a light lay up to be able to bend the panel into shape. This meant quite a bit of filling and fairing.
 I am still thinking a 23" inch version could be great on calmer days.
 Loving the waist leash with the leash point just infront of where you stand as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal