Author Topic: Foil on soft boards  (Read 16551 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil on soft boards
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 12:58:21 AM »
I’m sorry I can see the part we’re he is saying they are from previously broken boards however he did imply that they it was not designed to last and all I was trying to suggest was a way to try and prevent it from breaking or breaking again if it’s was previously broken. Perhaps if he didn’t intend it to last it would be better to fix it up and give it to a child we’re it could last signifactly longer and avoid breaking it straight away again after all he odviosly has a lot better boards avalable.
It’s actually been my quest for a foam less board for a long time and something I have spent a long time on researching.  currently about 95% of any polystyrene waste gets recycled or re purposed. I am allso directing a lot more of my time to working on some plastic and polystyrene recycling machine that are to be open source designs as part of the precious plastic movement so I’m trying to do as much as posable.
We did a beach clean the other day and it really hits home how big the problem is with the amount of polystyrene we picked up.
The hole reason I do board repair in to keep boards from having a early grave and the hole reason I’m so passionate about building boards to as good quality as posable is so that they can last many times over what some of the boards you see now and to stop them going to land fill. If it wasn’t for the foilboards I actually no have a quiver that should last me a life time unless anything major changes, stoping building boards is surprisingly high on my list for a number of reasons. There are a lot of people doing some cool things to help with the upcycleing of old boards it’s the first time I have seen the one posted above so thanks for that the one I love is
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:12:17 AM by supuk »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 03:49:11 AM »
supuk, solutions to scary problems like this, start at home.
If you really are seriously concerned, you could do your part.... stop building or using boards of any kind.
Wow, isn’t that rather hypocritical coming from a guy who is the pimp-in-chief for Sunova?

How is building boards responsibly, with minimal waste, on a very small scale, and that will outlast any of the Sunovas you pimp, a bigger contributor to the problem?

I suspect this is yet another example of the animosity built up over that damn Trump thread spilling over to here, yet again. Or else you just don’t give a sh** about the environment and are just looking for an excuse to have a go at someone who does.

Sam didn’t perhaps flag up what he was doing *quite* as clearly as he could have, and supuk could have read the post more carefully. Sam has over-reacted, and supuk has now apologised. So there’s no need for you to wade into this at all. Let’s just let this one go fer chrissakes.

supthecreek

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 10:36:09 AM »

Area 10 said:
Wow, isn’t that rather hypocritical coming from a guy who is the pimp-in-chief for Sunova?

How is building boards responsibly, with minimal waste, on a very small scale, and that will outlast any of the Sunovas you pimp, a bigger contributor to the problem?

I suspect this is yet another example of the animosity built up over that damn Trump thread spilling over to here, yet again. Or else you just don’t give a sh** about the environment and are just looking for an excuse to have a go at someone who does.

So stoked to share your passion for all things SUP!

I'm not going anywhere.... I love this place and the folks who come here to be upbeat and sharing.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:24:39 AM by supthecreek »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
supuk, solutions to scary problems like this, start at home.
If you really are seriously concerned, you could do your part.... stop building or using boards of any kind.

I think Creek's statement was a brilliant use of situational irony but now I'm wondering if A10 might just have doubled down with some followup sarcasm of his own. ;D

SUP Committed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 08:24:57 AM »
Aloha everyone.....Sorry for the heartache and turmoil I may have caused. I have read through the last several posting and I must say I have never felt so much love and support from some of you that I have never met. Yes I did get upset and yes I may have over reacted and I do understand that the Internet can be a cruel place and one can present himself as very knowledgable. I have met many online bloggers that type a "big game" but can never back it up. So what does this have to with this thread? It's the passion I have. I brainstorm, build, and try. If I fail then I'll try again and learn. Everything I type, say, post, and share....I can back up

Surfcowboy started this daily bread and asked, so with this knowledge I responded by sharing my passion. Yes it's not the most durable way to build a foil board and yes it won't last for someone of my magnitude. Keep in mind I'm 5'9" at 230lb and I'm throwing this thing into the gauntlet. If it works then anyone smaller will benefit. All these board are misused, abused, then discarded which makes me feel this craft is "misunderstood".....it belongs in the ocean and I'm giving it a 2nd life. Supuk don't tell me I'm being "irresponsible" for the lack of effort to reinforcing my project due to environmental issue that I know will only last for a few hours......EXCUSE ME!!! This was a hit way below the belt, totally off the subject, and that's what set me off. Back when I started the "Tail Handle" thread me and PonoBill had a similar issue. And  I told "him" like I'm going to tell "YOU" Supuk do me a favor, if you want to talk about the environment and its issues which is "totally off this subject, take it somewhere else" and start your own thread. I'm doing this out of respect to "Surfcowboy" and this subject.  I don't like hearing, talking, or seeing negativity it bring a person morals down. 

I would like to thank everyone again for the love and support through out this thread and its posting. I'm not sure I'll continue to hang around this forum. I have no control. I may just stick to my SUP Committed page on Facebook/Instagram. But cowboy I won't abandon you I may just lurk here and see what going on There's really nothing else in this forum that interest me.

In closing if I have offended, sadden, or cause a heartache to anyone. I truly would like to apologize. To Mr. Supuk I've received your email, read your post and fully accept/welcome in your apology. Hopefully one day our path will cross and we can sit down, have a beer together, and laugh about this whole thing like me and Bill did back in 09' at the BOP. Except he passed me heading to the finish line.....Miss you as well ol'Geezer

Aloha.....Sam Pa'e

SUP Committed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2018, 09:07:28 PM »
So after this board broke I shaped it down to 5'-2"

SUP Committed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2018, 09:11:09 PM »
I also made a 4'-9" as well

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 10:43:00 PM »
I like the rear foot stop. The beauty of the Costco boards is you can try just about anything with them. I see you have winglets on your wing. Can you tell me your thoughts on them? Do they make the wing more stable?

SUP Committed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2018, 11:37:58 PM »
I see you have winglets on your wing. Can you tell me your thoughts on them? Do they make the wing more stable?

The winglets help with controlling over White Water. The Foyle will tend to get a bit loose on you and feel a bit skittish. You'll be able to stay in some type of control but it's a 100% fix. So unless you don't plan on hitting a lot of white water. You really don't need it. Best stay away from it. Hope this helps

opie

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »
My scariest wipeouts came from trying to ride through or off whitewater like in some of the videos.  The skilled foilers make it look easy, buy I've decided to avoid it like the plague, for now.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2018, 04:42:59 PM »
I love taking off in fresh whitewater--it's a free catapult launch, I hardly have to paddle, just push down hard on the nose and wait for the speed to build before taking off. I also figured out how to ride over it by watching some of the better riders. I noticed they shifted their weight forward as they approached it, and stayed a little further forward, with the nose down even though the board didn't drop any. I've tried it a few times now and made it work twice.

I've seen winglets like Sam's on a few foils here. I assumed they worked like winglets on an airplane, acting as a fence to reduce tip turbulence from airflow bleeding off the tip instead of the trailing edge. It makes sense that it would confine the turbulence in whitewater as well.

Sam, I assume you're prone surfing those Taquitos. I can't see any way you could stand on one. Then again, after watching guys paddle 5'5" Kalama boards that look like a boogie board I'm ready to believe about anything.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2018, 06:46:51 PM »
Good to have you back Sam.  Sometimes it's best to just ignore negative comments and don't take them personally.  Please carry on recycling and experimenting and posting about it here.  I know that all the boards you used were bound for the landfill, so what you are doing is environmentally responsible, in my opinion.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SUP Committed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2018, 08:08:32 AM »
Sam, I assume you're prone surfing those Taquitos. I can't see any way you could stand on one. Then again, after watching guys paddle 5'5" Kalama boards that look like a boogie board I'm ready to believe about anything.
Yes I have been proning with that board. It's quite stable and paddles really well for someone of my size. A friend gave me this board and he would stand on it and paddle out. The other week I gave it to him and he was able to SUP and foil with it. Derek has an excellent balance and was able to enjoy this board again. I don't see myself going anything smaller than Maybe 6'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »
Aloha Sam,
It's always good to see and here about what projects you're working on. Thanks's for your input :) 

I just picked up an old 18' x 27 unlimited with a blown out rail and mold growing all around the cracked vent plug. Bringing a large chunk of foam, bound for the dumpster back to life is the kind of project excites me more than a new board. It's a descent Ron House shape and will make a good open water unlimited for a big guy like me. With some minor reshaping, glass repairs, new coat of paint and deck pad I'll be stroked. In fact I look through Craigslist all the time for old cheap boards that I can possibly reshape and refinish into something better than the original. I've even been known to do a little dumpster diving down in the San Clemente surf ghetto. 

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 08:50:04 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUP Committed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2018, 09:19:39 AM »
Aloha Sam,
It's always good to see and here about what projects you're working on. Thanks's for your input :) 

I just picked up an old 18' x 27 unlimited with a blown out rail and mold growing all around the cracked vent plug. Bringing a large chunk of foam, bound for the dumpster back to life is the kind of project excites me more than a new board. It's a descent Ron House shape and will make a good open water unlimited for a big guy like me. With some minor reshaping, glass repairs, new coat of paint and deck pad I'll be stroked. In fact I look through Craigslist all the time for old cheap boards that I can possibly reshape and refinish into something better than the original. I've even been known to do a little dumpster diving down in the San Clemente surf ghetto.
I've always had it in my heart that every watercraft has a second life to enjoy its spiritual nature of what God has given us. And if this vessel can bring back the joy of what we all love then it's worth saving and doing. I love to see others take the passion and do what we all love and share with others what we all benefit and learn from. And the best part the labor maybe intense and the cost will be cheap but the satisfaction is priceless

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill