Author Topic: Foil on soft boards  (Read 16376 times)

SUP Committed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Foil on soft boards
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 02:39:35 AM »
personally I would want to add some extra strength to cantilever of the mast mount to the front foot area, it will never last without it
It's not ment to last. It's just a fun build for less then...$40

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 03:36:46 AM »
personally I would want to add some extra strength to cantilever of the mast mount to the front foot area, it will never last without it

Sorry but thats fairly irresponsible as far as far as environmental issues go and the waste that is produced from the manufacture and disposal of your bit of fun. at $40 I don’t even see it as good value when you know it will break in a few hours when for a little extra effort you could make it last

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 09:25:49 PM »
UK, you're right that just a little longer board would fix that. In my case, three feet of 3/4" ply would make a foamie foiled that would last a bit longer.

SC, thanks for the crazy idea. Great to see it fly.

SUP Committed

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »
Sorry but thats fairly irresponsible as far as far as environmental issues go and the waste that is produced from the manufacture and disposal of your bit of fun. at $40 I don’t even see it as good value when you know it will break in a few hours when for a little extra effort you could make it last
WOW.....Whatever happen to the pure enjoyment of building something fun without the getting a backlash for some other reasons toward the negativity. Back in 2007 I went threw the same BS here and it seem not have changed. Now everyone seems to be an "EXPERT" on what/how it should be built. I have built board for years with the pure enjoyment and "NEVER" claim to be an expert nor down grade anyone for there passion. This forum has never changed from the early days. I wish all you participants with the "positive passion" of sharing the stoke with other to continue do what you do because I envy what you do. And for you "negative nerds" have a wonderful life.......I AM DONE WITH THIS FORUM......AGAIN!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 01:57:16 AM »
Hey Sam please don’t take any comments or suggestions that don’t agree with yours as a personal attack on you.. You should know how it works on the internet and don’t let yourself get stressed by these trivial things.. Everyone here appreciates your input and look forward to your posts.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 06:53:00 AM »
It's true, the Zone seems inhospitable at times.  Clearly, not a place for sissies...

BTW, the WS foil idea is pure genius.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »
So you guys know who SUP Committed is he is Sam P'ae and one of the visionaries and early adopters of SUP, Inventor of the Tail Handle for SUP's and early motivator and leader for Foil boarding.

Here he is talking about Foiling with Robert Stehlick more than a year ago.  He is a font of knowlege and one of the few who is a couple years ahead of the curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSR2wz3N0VQ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 06:24:55 PM »
Yup, too bad, but I suspect Sam is gone and he ain't coming back. I don't think there's much negativity here, certainly nothing like what I've experienced on other forums. Other than occasional political rants, which are easily dismissed, this is a pretty friendly place. But people speak their mind, and sometimes that touches a nerve.

Sam has a prickly side--he and I hit some rough spots a long time ago, but we're friends now, and I respect him greatly. I haven't seen him for a few years now and I miss him, so I was very happy to see him reappear on the zone. He's innovative, knowledgeable, generous with his knowledge, willing to try things that other people simply wouldn't pursue, and amazingly persistent. He makes stuff work that other folks would give up on. I admire the guy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 06:32:19 PM »
I did an 5'-8" waves storm. I installed 2x6 wood block in between the existing stingers, used gorilla glue, then bolted the flange adaptor threw the whole block. To it out and it worked

Love it!

Thanks for the pics of the three models.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 06:52:40 PM »
for any one that wants to understand my thoughts on this a little more this is the problem we face here with these type of boards you can have a quick read on the problem we have here and I think most would agree its a truly scary thought to think all of this plastic is going to land fill from something that we should all be working to combat. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-37430693

Rider

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 07:26:59 PM »
I am pretty sure I see one of my old boards in that stack. What can I do?

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 07:50:45 PM »
for any one that wants to understand my thoughts on this a little more this is the problem we face here with these type of boards you can have a quick read on the problem we have here and I think most would agree its a truly scary thought to think all of this plastic is going to land fill from something that we should all be working to combat. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-37430693
Yeah, but you're preaching to the wrong crowd. If you're so passionate about it, then go yell at Wavestrom, Costco, or any, and all other retailers selling the dang $99 disposable boards. But don't toss your environmental guilting on the guy who said he's searching dumpsters to try to repurpose some already broken or returned Costco "rental" boards they toss out once the brilliant vacationers figured out they can buy them, use them for their one week stay, and then return them for their money back, and fly off or drive home w/o having to lug their big ol' used "surfboards" with them.

It should have been obvious to you that Sam was using salvaged boards as soon as he said, "It's just a fun build for less then...$40", because no one's going to be buying a new soft top, the required plywood, and hardware for "less then...$40". So now with your feigned indignation, you've managed to run off someone that just maybe the rest of us have enjoyed reading, and learning from his knowledge, experience, ingenuity, and just plain stoke with his love, and excitement of this newly rediscovered wave game regardless of what he was trying to ride/fly.

So while it's great for you, and the BeachCare organization to urge "people to buy more expensive boards which will last longer", why not put more effort in getting these eco-unfriendly foamies, and sponges outlawed all together, or push for a "disposal fee" paid at purchase of several hundred dollars to make folks think twice about if these disposable boards would be a better buy than a just decent, used, once more expensive glass board to learn to surf on in their one week annual surf adventure?

But if nothing else, how about at least showing your fellow SUZ neighbors here a little more aloha than you did poor Sam, for doing nothing more than sharing with folks the things he did with the medium they asked about being able to do....that he had managed to already figure out how to get it done, and working?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 07:53:47 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 08:14:27 PM »
Text is hard. Context and friendliness doesn't always come across.

I say we all give each other a pass as none of this would be an issue in person or in the lineup.

Pono, you're right (again) it's the internet. Nothing personal.

supthecreek

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 08:38:02 PM »
cowboy.... I respectfully disagree, text is personal expression..... it can sooth or sting, depending wholly on intent.
Here, I'll give you an example:

supuk, solutions to scary problems like this, start at home.
If you really are seriously concerned, you could do your part.... stop building or using boards of any kind.

SUP committed.... I was very stoked to hear what you had to offer, it was unique and engaging... and all done in good fun.
We NEED contributors like you, who are happy offer up their insight, stoke and positivity.
I am sad to see you leave. again.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 10:47:32 PM »
supuk you have a point but as previously mentioned Sam’s boards were saved from the landfill for another go-round. You should have no issues with a reuse-recycle-repurpose policy. That is quite a stack of bodyboards - maybe spread the message of what Dan Mann is doing with that sort of trash down in San Diego and your local shapers can get something started to give these boards yet another life.  http://www.goodbrine.com/how-to-build-a-surfboard-from-trash-with-dan-mann/

I hope Sam comes back - I always enjoyed his innovations and experiments.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal