Author Topic: Best way to pump up an inflatable SUP....without the manual pump  (Read 26332 times)

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best way to pump up an inflatable SUP....without the manual pump
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 02:44:10 PM »
The Wacooda guage and shrader valve attachment combo works well.  It depresses the boards valve when you install it so that you can read pressure. You can then attach whatever air compressor or scuba tank filler you like to top off the pressure. I am attempting to attach pics but I think they are too large,  but I will keep trying.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 02:48:47 PM »
Sorry for such a crummy picture....it all went to hell when I resized. The pictures look great on my camera...I just haven't learned how to properly resize on my chromebook.
I give up for now.  :(
Anyway,  I have finally arrived at what I think is going to be an easy way to top off my board using my scuba tank and the Wacooda valve/guage combo. The Jaco tire filler and guage also works well.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 03:22:59 PM »
^ Impressive !
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »
I am going to try again to get some decent pictures.....I can reset the size they are taken in the camera and see if that works better.  For those that have iSups,  filling by "hand" pump is a pain. So I want to share some options to make things easier for everyone.  (I had no idea when I got my iSup how hard it was going to be to get it to the recommended pressure of 22 PSI) When I am at home I just leave it inflated and ready to go,  but I can sure see for anyone that has to deflate and inflate on a regular basis this could be a BIG issue they need to deal with.

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
just a test

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »
Connector,

Are you going from empty to full pressure using the scuba tank?  Curious if you are filling all the way through the schraeder or using some other modification?  thanks

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2018, 02:37:43 PM »
I am only using the scuba tank and schrader valve setup to "top off" the board after using the hand pump to get the board up to 10-12 lbs or so. The Titan pump that came with my Red Paddle works pretty good until you have to get into the higher pressures. I haven't tried filling the board from empty yet using my scuba tank. I suppose I should just to see how long it takes. I should also say that we haven't gone on any trips yet where I have packed away the board. I have an aluminum trailer that I tow behind my Volt and I generally have 2 14 ft. kayaks and 2 14ft. standup boards with me. I got the new Red Paddle 14 X 27 Elite basically because it is lighter and less subject to damage when compared to my other stuff. The jury is still out on whether it will become my "go to" board. I am still learning to deal with the tippy-ness in less than flat water. Otherwise I do like it. I have never owned an iSUP before and I was reluctant because years ago I had an AVON inflatable dive boat and it seems I was always dealing with minor leaks.
But so far,  the Red Paddle has stayed very tight !

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2018, 03:50:19 PM »
Pono Bill,

I was about to head out and get that compressor when I read your comments about the schraeder restricting flow.  That is what I have to fill my board, not sure about building some other means of connection.

Goes back to my original post - was assuming to first fill with a high volume pump I can attach to the valve and then use compressor (with lower CFM) to get to pressure.

If I use the dewalt with the schraeder will it take forever or will I burn up the dewalt?

Thanks for all the ideas.

No, it won't take that much longer, I'm just an impatient guy and I don't have a locking connector for Schrader valves handy whereas I probably have 50 maile and 20 female quick connectors.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »
thanks guys

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 08:59:58 AM »
Hi Connector 14,

Thanks so much for your pictures and explanations. I am in a similar position as you as I am also looking for an easy way to inflate my paddle board when traveling. The only thing is, while I am an avid snorkeler, I am not a scuba diver so I don’t know a lot about scuba gear.

My wife and I will be traveling to the Cook Islands later this year and I would like to bring my inflatable board with me. I’m thinking of trying a system such as you are suggesting and possibly renting a scuba tank for the time I’m there.

I am wondering however, if you wouldn’t mind providing a complete list of what I would need? I’m assuming I would need to purchase the Wacooda gauge you’ve shown and that I would need to rent a scuba tank and probably the scuba regulator, but am wondering what else I would need? What would I need for a hose to connect the scuba tank to the Wacooda guage, etc., etc.?

Thanks so much.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 05:07:57 PM »
You just need to visit a good dive shop and tell them what your intentions are. You may only need to purchase a shrader valve adapter that would plug into the same hose that a BC (boyancy compensator inflation valve) uses. So if there is a dive shop where you are traveling,  you would simply rent a tank and a regulator that has a hose for a BC. The one problem you MAY run into,  is that if you are not a certified diver they may not want to rent you a tank and regulator unless you signed something that says you are not using the tank for diving. (maybe offer to rent the tank and regulator without a backpack?)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 07:36:57 PM »
Thanks Connector,

Great information. Really appreciate you getting back to me.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2018, 09:18:37 PM »
So got an update for you guys.

Bought the new Bravo 20 from Blue Planet Surf for $300.

Charged it up fully and connected it to my Red 13'2" explorer at home on a rainy night (not outside on hot day).  Pump started fine and was reasonably quick, but quit around 14 psi.  I let it sit for about 20 minutes to cool down and then ran it again, maybe got 1-2psi more before it stopped.

Pretty bummed to put down that kind of money and not able to get my board close to 20psi.

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2018, 05:02:16 PM »
Checked pressure on the board this am with a sep gauge - pump had got it to 17PSI. Had charged pump and it got it up to 21psi on second go.

Next test is to see if the pump performs differently when hooked up direct to a battery.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2018, 07:02:38 PM »
So got an update for you guys.

Bought the new Bravo 20 from Blue Planet Surf for $300.

Charged it up fully and connected it to my Red 13'2" explorer at home on a rainy night (not outside on hot day).  Pump started fine and was reasonably quick, but quit around 14 psi.  I let it sit for about 20 minutes to cool down and then ran it again, maybe got 1-2psi more before it stopped.

Pretty bummed to put down that kind of money and not able to get my board close to 20psi.

Blue planet has done a nice job getting these things reasonably reliable, but there will probably be 500 made in the product's lifetime, whereas Dewalt probably builds 500 compressors per hour. The DeWalt's DCC2560T1 portable compressor is a hell of a good tool for the same price. If you expect to always have a plug available then you can buy something for $125 that will do that little job and a lot more. I honestly don't see what's so complicated about this. Buy a specialized product that's pretty wimpy or buy something much cheaper that can also run your nailgun, fill tires, run an air wrench and blow crap off your workbench. With a couple of years of warranty and a few thousand sold per month.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal