Author Topic: SIC Bayonet shape vs. Bullets?  (Read 30268 times)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
SIC Bayonet shape vs. Bullets?
« on: January 18, 2018, 08:01:52 PM »
SIC describes the Bayonet as “ an extension and derivative of its world class kin, the Bullet”.
Does anyone know how the Bayonet’s rocker compares to the V1 and V2?

I’ve kind of been on the lookout for a nice V1. This may be a substitute. An expensive substitute.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:04:34 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SIC Bayonet shape vs. Bullets?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 08:32:37 PM »
"The nose is similar to the Bullet Series but with more volume.....It shares a similar rocker line as the Bullet."

"A sleek narrow and super fast DW board that worked amazing in sub-20 kt conditions and increased top end speed in all conditions."

Now that is exactly what we get most of the time.  Hmmm?  If anything -> that is the board to ride for runs from Porteau to Britannia or better Porteau into Squamish.

No doubt should be a lot less sluggish than the Bullet 17.4 anyways when the wind peters off.  Sounds like a similar board to the one Connor used.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 08:56:06 PM »
Interesting. Tho’ I’m hoping for more rocker in the Bayonet. In the Miguel Beltran  picture above, there appears to more continuous rocker, through the tail. Also kind of appears that way from the SIC Maui site:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:58:32 PM by Dusk Patrol »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 09:39:25 PM »
After my experience with planing hulls ie. V2 and M14 vs the cutting boof of the AS -> have concluded pretty much that the planing hull is for me for DW.  For sure the slim 23 slithers and slices with its very narrow profile but it does that little jiggle like the Deep or any of the dugout boards with rounded hulls.  Super fast but just not solid feeling cutting across a wave when the wind picks up.  As always there are compromises to every single design.  No one is best for everything as some purport.  So just is a personal choice is all what you like when.

I see you have an AS and a V2 so you probs have some solid ideas about this.  My guess is if you want more speed get the Bayonet 17.1 for sub-20 -> otherwise 17.4 for really big conditions.  A 14 Bayonet would be good as well getting closer to an AW board.  The V2 for me is way way too tubby for AW.  Bayonet would be better -> but probs a 24 custom optimal.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:50:37 PM »
I regret selling a V1 that I had... The only board I've had that regret about. My All Star is so wide and so stable its not even in the running. I like it but I don't use it. I thought replacing it with a 2016 25.5 AS. Then this 26" Bayonet appears. I thought I had gotten over board lust. I should just chill out and live happily with my V2.     

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 05:51:32 AM »
I should just chill out and live happily with my V2.   

This board is a rocket but boy they were not kidding when they said it's for sub 20 wind!
I had never been slapped silly by a board as I was by this one.

Tried it on a messy 20+ Maliko run. Probably the slowest run I've ever had, can't tell as I was
too busy scraping my shins on the deck.

I could see this board shining on clean days at 15 knots where every other board feel sluggish
but this might be is too specific of a board unless these conditions are all you get.

This board with me on top (180lbs) set very high on the water (pic) and had a lot of roll, stable 
is not a word comes to mind with this one. Nose rocker is flatter than the Bullet but that wasn't
an issue for me, the prototype I had was about 22lbs if memory serves well.

Getting into bumps, however, required no effort whatsoever, that's probably what threw me off
my game, it felt like a surf session with a  "late drop" on every decent bump. Could not control the
board for the most part but when I did, this thing flies like nothing else I've tested.

I can see how a good surfer with good board skills can take advantage of this board.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:54:52 AM by burchas »
in progress...

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 06:33:06 AM »
The Bayonet is not a replacement for the Bullet. It's a board made for normal DW conditions (a bit of an angle on the wind, sub 20 knots, some headwind parts, etc). It's similar to the board that Connor uses on the DW events in Maui (with possibly a few changes) and it's a great board if you want to race on DW competitions or to use it when it's not nuking or in runs in rivers or lakes.
I have the Bullet 17'4 FAST and it's an amazing board for conditions above 20 knots. It catches bumps effortlessly and I can drop on big bumps and I know I go as fast and comfortable as I can. But when the wind is below 20 knots I have to paddle hard to catch a bump and I get tired sooner. I've switched a few times in the water on runs with 15-20 knots for a FX-Pro 14 and had much more fun with it and I was also faster.
I hope I can get on of these Bayonets (the 17'1) here in Portugal. I see it as a perfect addition to a board quiver (Bullet when the wind is strong and Bayonet when it's not that good) or as a DW board for someone who lives in places with mild conditions or wants to do inland DW.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »
My All Star is so wide and so stable its not even in the running. I like it but I don't use it. I thought replacing it with a 2016 25.5 AS. Then this 26" Bayonet appears. I thought I had gotten over board lust. I should just chill out and live happily with my V2.     
If you want to supplement your quiver and add more speed the AS24.5 would be a good choice for AW.  I have tested that board firsthand and it moves.  On flat and upwind into chop it handles that easy -> but small DW it really motors and is more in its element.  Quite a bit easier to handle vs my 23.  Possibly quicker as I got it to plane in very small waves super easy.  The only cons are it has a bit of tip because of the rounded cutting boof and has a lot of volume in the nose.  For many this is a good all purpose AW board.  But felt too big for me and was not enough of a balance challenge.  Super easy board to race on and would be my choice.  Faster than the AS25 with the chamfered edges.

The AS28 is a very big board that I found harder to paddle upwind comparatively because of its bulk.  But DW it went fine.  Quite stable as you note and really liked to get pushed from behind.  Def has a different use in mind and geared more for heavy riders.

My suspicion would be the Bayonet 26 to be more stable overall vs the AS24.5 -> both having a slightly different feel and purpose.  Either would be fine depending what you want and need.  Pretty much any high quality board is perfectly fine and fun to paddle for me.  Just each feels different -> and each have different pros and cons.  Am always stoked to try any board or any paddle.  Always answers so many questions and cuts all BS out instantly.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 11:17:45 PM »
Thanks Eagle, Burchas and SupN, for the insights. . I’ll try the new SICs this summer.

10generation

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 11:23:55 PM »
Which of the SIC's would be best for long distance ocean paddling?  Not downwind, just covering distance on flat to bumpy swells?

Was thinking the 17'4" but it doesn't sound like it?

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 06:01:43 AM »
Which of the SIC's would be best for long distance ocean paddling?  Not downwind, just covering distance on flat to bumpy swells?

Was thinking the 17'4" but it doesn't sound like it?

The Bayonet would be a faster option. The Bullet 17'4 works better in high winds and swell and the Bayonet is better in slower winds and less swell. On the flats the Bayonet should be way faster.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 01:35:59 PM »
Recent (published Monday, 1/22) review of the Bayonet (Gorge conditions).

Kind of addresses my OP question in that says it feels similar to a V1 in certain respects.

https://www.bigwinds.com/sup-blog/2018-bayonet-review 

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 02:35:16 PM »
Yeah that review sounds like what I would expect.

"This Board Best Suits the advanced downwinder looking to progress their skills without having to order a custom ride."

From my use of the V1 and V2 as well -> SIC makes the standard for how DW boards should perform and feel.  Fast and almost too much fun!

As an aside -> just yesterday learned how to ride switch on a SB.  20 yrs and never needed that.  But decided it was about time.  On a SUP ride regular and goofy all the time but actually prefer goofy.  But on a SB am regular.  So went on the bunny run and basically forced my mind to think backwards.  Best is that mindset from time on a SUP in goofy stance actually made it relatively easy to ride switch on a SB.  Heel edge turn was no probs -> but toe edge took a couple of runs to get comfortable.  Weird but SUP actually helped my SB skills improve.  So you can teach an old dog a new trick.  Who woulda thunk?

Stay stoked.  So much to learn.  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:37:36 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »
Recent (published Monday, 1/22) review of the Bayonet (Gorge conditions).

Kind of addresses my OP question in that says it feels similar to a V1 in certain respects.

https://www.bigwinds.com/sup-blog/2018-bayonet-review

His review is spot-on IMO. It just shows why Joel is a great downwind trainer as even at his high level
he can give an unbiased  and realistic review (he is after all an SIC affiliated rider).
in progress...

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 03:20:49 PM »
I think its interesting how a board that doesn't look like it strays too much from the Bullet template is relatively that much more demanding. 

Eagle, I was at Whistler over the weekend. Sunday morning was blowing so hard hey had trouble opening lifts, so I headed back South, stopped at Porteau, but no intrepid downwinders to be found...

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal