Author Topic: Surftech Laird  (Read 10941 times)

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
Surftech Laird
« on: July 17, 2007, 09:51:42 PM »
I'm a long time surfer living in Santa Cruz, CA and have an opportunity to buy a nearly new SurfTech Laird for $1200.  I have not tried SUP paddling or SUP surfing yet, but I'm a pretty good athlete, a decent longboard surfer and in decent shape (5-8, 175) for a 41 year old with 2 kids a mortgage and a commute.  My small wave board is a 10-0 nose rider, and my other board is a 9-0, more of a performance shape. A few times each winter I get out on my 7-8 hybrid. I'm looking for an SUP to ride on smaller days, or when the tide or wind is shutting things down a bit.  I'd also like to use it for fitness training on flat days and general touring around from time to time.

-Will I get bored with this board?  The owner is selling it because he said it doesn't surf particularly well.

-Is that a fair price for a dingless Laird with a bit of scratched paint? What's the used market for these boards like?  I noticed I can order a custom Infinity for just a few bucks more.  $1200 for just the board, no leash, paddle or deck mat.

Thanks,
Andy

RUSS-D

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surftech Laird
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 03:13:27 AM »
Although I am fairly new to SUP's, I have done a lot of research on prices, and models. The Laird is a good board, but not great for riding waves. Around me, the go for about 1600 new for an 11'6" Laird no paddle, fin, or leash. I am getting mine for about 1200. It is an Island Epoxy 11'6"x30"x4 7/8" . I don't think you'll get bored with it. I try to go out 2-3 times a week. Sometimes alone, sometimes with my buddy Christian(he just got on the forums). Either way it is fun. A little creapy being alone, if you wander far enough off-shore LOL, but no more than Surfing a break alone. Give it a go, chances are you'll like it.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »
I have ridden the Laird, and think that it is a very stable platform on which to learn.  Very big guys (220 lbs plus) are using them for wave riding, so it certainly can be done.  I am 185-190 lbs (depending on waffle availabilty) and struggled to set a rail (31 inches wide). 

I saw a great looking Infinity custom over here, and that could be a strong option, but until you really know what specs you are after, production may be a good choice.  You have a surfing background and a good low center of gravity.  You could certainly start and learn well with these two:

C4 10'6
Bill Foote (Lightning Bolt prouction model) 10'6

Or these if you want to push yourself.  You will wobble and fall more as you learn, but it is definitely doable:

C4 10'
SOS Big Green 10'
Jimmy Lewis 10'
Paddle Surf Hawaii 10 foot "All Rounder"

Here is a snip on size rec's from the C4 site on their models:

Which board is right for me? 
The 11-6 is a beginner board, and is also a high performance Tandem board
used by Brian Keaulana/Kathy Terada, current World Champs. Its great for
learning or for a really big guy over 250lbs.

10'6" is a great high-performance sub that is built for good surfers,
with a bigger guy in mind, 200-225 lbs. It can be used for as a beginner
board for someone 150-190lbs.

10'0" is a sub that is built for good surfers 140-180lbs. It can be used
for as a beginner board for someone 120-140lbs. Dave Parmenter just won
the 2007 Noosa Surfing Festival for SUP surfing Event on this same
board!!! Finals had the likes of Bonga Perkin's, Josh Constible, Brian
Keaulana, Dave Kalama and Mick Debetta.

I hope that helps.

Best,
Randy

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 11:03:45 AM »
The Laird is a great entry level board. From the sound of things you seem to be a experanced surfer. So i think you will get bored with the Laird quickly. You are also light and the Laird is made for bigger guys.
  You might want to try a shorter board thats not as wide as the Laird. I would suggest about 28" wide is a stable width. The Laird does not surf well in my eyes. I used it at the start and moved to a board better suited to me as soon as I could.
    I now have a custom 10'6" x 28" x 3' 3/4 thick. I love it it rides like a surf board but still paddles great. I now also have a 11' x 28" x 4" 1/2 thick. Its our new production board and surfs great but also paddles distance realy well. I used to ride a 12' board just for down wind distance paddling. I actualy droped 10 minutes of my time with the new 11' board which shocked me. Its a great all round board that you wont grow out of.   
 The price for the used Laird is a great deal. The used market is still very high priced.

Here is what the 11' board looks like

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:53:26 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I'm  going to try and get a demo on it this week, but don't know if my stand up paddle skills will be up to catching waves.  Maybe I can just knee paddle it into some small waves to get a sense for how it will surf.  I agree that it may be tough to do much turning on such a wide, buoyant board.

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:43:31 PM »
I have been using a Laird for around 2 months and it has suited me well.  I am 250 and the size works for me right now.  Mainly I have been doing 3-4 mile runs with a few waves at either end of the workout.  Not really fired up about it surfing, as the turn arounds are pretty cloggy.  I have been out in chest  high waves and caught some nice waves but clearly not my pick for surfing.

I have been on the the Jimmy Lewis 11 which I liked a great deal surfing, turned quick into the incoming waves Vs Laird.  It also had a much small fin than the stock ones come with.

The Laird has suited me fine but I am getting other boards.  A longer for distance runs and shorter for fall/winter surf. 

Also it is durable as hell and I have no worries with friends learning on the laird. Rails are racked up pretty well but it is only the paint.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 04:29:25 AM »
I'm a long time surfer living in Santa Cruz, CA and have an opportunity to buy a nearly new SurfTech Laird for $1200.  I have not tried SUP paddling or SUP surfing yet, but I'm a pretty good athlete, a decent longboard surfer and in decent shape (5-8, 175) for a 41 year old with 2 kids a mortgage and a commute.  My small wave board is a 10-0 nose rider, and my other board is a 9-0, more of a performance shape. A few times each winter I get out on my 7-8 hybrid. I'm looking for an SUP to ride on smaller days, or when the tide or wind is shutting things down a bit.  I'd also like to use it for fitness training on flat days and general touring around from time to time.

-Will I get bored with this board?  The owner is selling it because he said it doesn't surf particularly well.

-Is that a fair price for a dingless Laird with a bit of scratched paint? What's the used market for these boards like?  I noticed I can order a custom Infinity for just a few bucks more.  $1200 for just the board, no leash, paddle or deck mat.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy,

I just sold my Laird for $950. I took a big loss. Sometimes it's hard to find a local buyer. I weigh 202 lbs.

I recommend the board for the over 200 lbs guys only.

I changed to the Jimmy Lewis 11 footer. Way, way more fun than the Laid, plus cheaper at $1299, and very light. The Jimmy is loose, surfs great, and will be perfect at your weight. I have ridden some customs, but prefer production, due to the much lighter weight.

Good luck.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 11:16:55 PM »
Hey Andy-

Early 40's, two kids, a mortgage living in Santa Cruz- just getting into stand up paddling- you sound like my brother Mike (he's late 30's though)- you should drop him a line at mashley@setupsystems.com he's always looking for like minded folk to paddle with and rumor has it he just bought a key to Privates! Tell him that his big brother John sent you!

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 11:43:42 PM »
2nd note on the Laird-  I swapped out the surftech standard fin to a 9.5 cut away fin and it was great.  Loosened the board up a bunch and had my best surf to date on.  I know on surfingsports.com wardog raves about the Josh Faberow flex fin but this  worked great.

Again - Agree that this board works well for the 200 pound Tuna class

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 09:11:27 AM »
I too, have heard it is a good choice for larger riders (I have a 200 lb plus friend who rips on it and I have seen it used as a tandem), but probably a bit much for kids and smaller riders (regardless of fin choice). As a 115 lb woman, I had a bear of a time turning it, although I enjoyed trying out novel turning techniques.   It reminded me of a segment in a surf video (shelter, I think) in which one of the riders attempts to surf a door. 

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 09:36:39 AM »
John,
Small world.  I just saw your blog the other day and e-mailed your brother.  He invited me to join him for a paddle/surf at Private's which I will definitely do.  Funny, I just had great a.m. session at Four Mile on my 9-0, but while I was out I kept thinking about Stand Up...

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 10:49:47 PM »
Cool! You'll like paddling with Mike- he's jazzed on it all! As far as the 9'0" surf session... I think I've retired all of my longboards- I'd rather ride the stand up in long board conditions- when it's firing I break out the 6'3" carbon fiber four fin Stu K. made for me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal