Author Topic: Dry suit for surf?  (Read 5060 times)

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dry suit for surf?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 10:46:38 AM »
The SUP skin drysuits are reported to be very similar to the starboard suits which are very light and a couple of their suits have a neoprene neck seal, and I would want to have a latex neck seal wearing a drysuit for surfing.
Supskin does have an all around suit recommended for kiting and windsurfing, with latex seals, so that would be the option I would personally go to if I was expecting to get dunked.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:48:23 AM by robon »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 10:58:25 AM »
The newer neoprene is warm supper flexible easy on off but does not last as long as the old stuff.

My 3/2 Quiksilver is four and a half years old and still going strong. So far so good.

I have five wetsuits now. I take them off in the shower when I get home, then hang them up to dry right away, never in the sun.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

devon_sup_surf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 02:37:49 PM »
Wetsuit only here. No experience of dry suits.

But do you really get actually wet in a wetsuit? not much IME. A full winter suit with boots etc and very little of me gets wet. moments after removing a wetsuit I'm half dry- I'm far wetter after just coming out of the shower, for example.

Temp wise it's quite a personal thing. I don't particularly feel the cold- but I do find that I'm wearing at least 1 level less warm than surfers.

e.g. if they are in full winter- I can usually be in a thinner suit with peripherals. Or a winter and no peripherals. if the surfers are in summer suits- I'm in a shortie or long john.

Unless the wind chill is very high- being submerged up to your waist in water whilst waiting for waves appears to make you a lot colder. You may even find the low volume shortboarders get colder than the longboarders?!

oceanAddict

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
Wetsuit only here. No experience of dry suits.

Temp wise it's quite a personal thing. I don't particularly feel the cold- but I do find that I'm wearing at least 1 level less warm than surfers.

e.g. if they are in full winter- I can usually be in a thinner suit with peripherals. Or a winter and no peripherals. if the surfers are in summer suits- I'm in a shortie or long john.

Same here on both points. I came to SUP from prone surfing and have several wetsuits to begin with.  I usually wear 1 step lighter wetsuit when I do SUP vs if I would go surf on the same day.  So when I was surfing in 4/3 I was SUPing in 3/2 etc.
 Also on the protective layer. I lost about 10 lbs in last 3 -4 months and I def feel the difference - now I have to wear an extra layer all the time...   
Infinity Blackfish, SIC Bullet Air Glide, Sunova Point Break #003, Sunova Soul

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal