Author Topic: Dry suit for surf?  (Read 5059 times)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
Dry suit for surf?
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:11:09 AM »
Any experience/recommendation/pros/cons regarding using a dry suit instead of a wet suit for surf? I’m considering using my Ocean Rodeo Soul in Oregon this weekend.
Flexibility isn’t a big concern, but are there others? Thanks!
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Dry suit for surf?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:54:35 AM »
I surfed in the Soul during my first winter season and kept wearing it all the way to summer.

It's fine as long as you are on a fairly stable board and don't fall much. Back then I could do entire sessions only falling half a dozen times.  I'm on much smaller boards now and fall a lot more.

I liked how lightweight and loose the suit was. I would wear my regular street clothes under it. It was a pleasure to not have to struggle removing it compared to a wetsuit and be completely dry after a session.

As I started riding smaller boards and falling more often, I found the drysuit to be a little less comfortable. The fabric isn't meant to be continuously submerged. The suit can't breath underwater so I would sometimes feel damp and clammy. Also, the more the suit gets wet, the less effective the waterproofing becomes and the sooner it will need to be replenished.

One drawback to the Soul is that it's very difficult to swim in. You don't want to become separated from your board if at all possible. Another minor drawback is that the suit has a lot of wind resistance and can really slow you down on windy days.

I got a winter wetsuit the following year and now have a wetsuit for every season. These days I only use the Soul for flatwater and downwinding.

So the Soul is fine for surfing as long as you don't fall much. If you fall a lot you are probably better off with a wetsuit, but give it a try.

One thing I found helpful was to write down what you wear underneath the suit at different air temperatures. That way you'll know ahead of time exactly what layers to wear each time you go.   Clipping the suspenders together in the front with a small caribiner helps keep them from falling off your shoulders. Wear the top layer over the suspenders so it will be easier to remove if you need to cool down.

I surfed in the Soul right into the warmer months up to about 60 degrees F where I would wear just shorts and a t-shirt under. It's a great suit.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:20:39 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:16:58 AM »
Excellent information. Answers questions I didn’t even know to ask. Thank you!

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:43:19 AM »
+1 to Badger

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 03:17:54 PM »
Hi I come from a kayaking background Pacific Northwest and always wear a drysuit. Wearing a drysuit Surfing not a great idea. If you rip a hole in your drysuit (and surfing this is real possibility it will fill with water and will become an anchor.) if you rip a hole in a wetsuit not as much of a problem. For flat water paddling a dry suit would be fine. Surfing not a good idea.

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 11:24:29 PM »
^ Thanks Bob. I’ve heard of that possibility. I just hate wetsuits and cold weather, so was trying to convince myself on the drysuit. But I think on balance the wetsuit may be it.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 06:03:27 AM »
I thought I hated wetsuits too at first.  Now I'm used to it and feel completely comfortable in them.

The great thing about the drysuit was that the one suit covered all temperatures. It was good from 20 to 60 degrees.

With wetsuits, you need a different thickness for every 10 to 15 degrees of temperature change.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »
wetsuit fabrics have improved markedly of recent---you may be surprised at how effective and comfortable they have become
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:27:02 AM »
I recently bought the new Body Glove Red Cell 5/4/3 and I love it.

The Red Cell material is super soft and slippery making the suit slide on and off easily. It also drains really fast if any water gets inside keeping you dryer and warmer.

It seems to have a slightly wider temperature range than my other suits.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:32:30 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 12:11:03 PM »
+1 for wetsuit

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 12:36:03 PM »
I see my future: buying a new gen wetsuit, and motivated to use it b/c of the price  ;D

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 06:46:31 AM »
I live just south of Oregon border. Only time I used a dry suit was for windsurfing in winter storms.
I use a 4/3 wetsuit, a hood and booties and I am very comfortable after the first dunk. If too cold
for 4/3 I also have a 5mil full suit but I rarely use it.
I don't think you need a dry suit for surfing here. I also do not see others wearing dry
suits, just wetsuits.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 07:27:58 AM »
It's important to note that not everyone uses the same thickness wetsuit for the same conditions. Keep that in mind when picking out a suit.

On any given day if you were to ask everyone in the water what thickness they are wearing, you will likely get two or three different thicknesses.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 08:30:42 AM »
I surf the Oregon coast year round water temp is usually in the 52 deg. range sometimes dropping to 47 in the spring early summer when the upwelling kicks in. Call me a wuss but most of the time iam in a 5-4 front zip with hood and at least 3mil. Booties. Invest in a good suit fully taped or liguid sealed it going to set you back at least $400 + but worth every $ rinse it of after every sesh and you will get your money’s worth. The newer neoprene is warm supper flexible easy on off but does not last as long as the old stuff.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
Has anybody tested some of the SUP skin drysuits? I'm wondering they might hold up in the pounding. My guess is not so well, but has anybody tried it?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal