Author Topic: Any opportunities to try foiling in New England  (Read 600 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Any opportunities to try foiling in New England
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:39:47 AM »
I love the idea of foiling....but I'm not really sure I'll be able to do it. It took me a long time to stand on a SUP for longer than 5 minutes when I started. The idea of buying a foil only to find I can't do it doesn't make much sense so I'm going to be looking for chances to try it this spring/summer. If anyone hears of opportunities to demo this year please give me a yell.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Teahupoo Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Any opportunities to try foiling in New England
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 08:41:08 AM »
I was just talking about that at Cinnamon Rainbows yesterday.  They might be getting a Naish foil set up at some point but they're not sure if it will be available for demo. They might have to sell a few first to see if it's worth stocking them.

A friend of mine is thinking of getting a foil. He's not sure what brand he wants yet. As soon as he gets it, he's going to let me try it.

I really like the new Blue Planet boards and foils. It's the best board design I've seen yet. I can feel the temptation to buy one starting to build. If I had some extra cash I would order one today.

Jimmy Lewis Super Frank 7'6 x 31" 115L
Sunova Flow 8'10 X 31" 119L (Low volume version)
Jimmy Lewis M-12'6" X 28" 237L
6'1"
175lbs
60yo

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:01:57 AM »
Bob I think the issue with a demo is board and foil size as it will vary based on rider size and abilities. Not sure a shop would have the variety needed for a solid demo foil program.

I am looking into one, just not sure if from blue planet or kings.

Focus Rawson 8'4
Kings Custom Laser 8'10
Ron House 9'7
SIC Recon 11'3
Focus Bluefin 14'
KeNalu Ho'oloa
KeNalu Mana
KeNalu Konihi
QB Flyweight

NorthJerzSurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:58:41 AM »
follow Zane Schweitzer on Instagram.  he had a demo tour that looped the east coast with a foil last late summer/fall.

It was pretty poorly attended because it wasn't promoted well enough- i would have love to have gone and only heard about it after the fact- and he was literally in my town.

Hoping he and Starboard do it again this year.  I am in the same boat- not ready to commit to a foil- as i have no experience (kiteboard wake etc.) and they are a junk-load of money.....but have 2 donor boards I could easily put a tuttle box in and that's tempting me.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:53:24 AM »
Those are the problems....I know nothing but would think that foils might be even more personal than boards. I'm pretty sure I'll need the 747 jumbojet version. I have yet to see anyone my size on a foil.....a few that are close but not many mucho extra grande foilers out there that I can see.

I follow Zane on FB but never heard about it.  Yeah the board isn't an issue here either...my 9-0 that needs so much work would be good for mounting it on to start....I have to rebuild the tail anyway.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:02:13 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

jondrums

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 08:13:28 PM »
I have a feeling the used market for foils is good enough that you could probably buy one and sell it if you decide it isn't for you.  I haven't seen a used foil for sale anywhere.  That might also be an indication that people are getting addicted to it.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 09:09:40 PM »
You NE guys go together and buy a big Liquid Force wing and split it. Ride it a bit, drag it behind the boat, sell it to one of the crew who likes it if it works out. If not, trust me, it'll be easy to sell it on here. They are smaller to ship than a board too so no hassles.

cnski

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 07:50:43 AM »
You NE guys should keep in mind that there is a world class foil builder in Rhode Island. Delta Hydrofoil. Gerorge Hradil builds a very high end kite racing foil and just made his second surf foil design. A couple very well known watermen have been riding this foil with stellar reviews. Avoid the mass produced aluminum foils.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:58:18 AM by cnski »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 07:24:46 PM »
Now there you go. Local!!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 07:38:29 AM »
Good idea to spread the cost and I'll definitely take  look at Delta.
Bob